Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | High upload power following planned maintenance

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

High upload power following planned maintenance

Old 08-01-2021, 14:57   #16
david_w2k
cf.addict

david_w2k is on a distinguished roaddavid_w2k is on a distinguished road
Re: High upload power following planned maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
3 of your upstream is at max transmit I think you need less attenuation
Thanks yeah seems to be the conclusion.

I got through to VM earlier as had another short drop out... The person on the phone refused to log it as an issue, said there is no fault and started going down the route of saying it was due to my own router (which they also cannot help with).

I tried to explain it was due to the cable running from their modem to their cabinet but he said his workflow shows no issue, nothing they can do to help!! He also wouldnt give me a reference number so that I could follow up.

Is anyone who works for VM able to help me book an engineer to resolve? Or send me some instructions and I'll walk over to the cabinet by our driveway (joking)
david_w2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2021, 15:03   #17
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Is an attenuator fitted?

As has been pointed out, 51 is the upper upstream power limit and the system will continue to work until/unless the VM can't read what is sent at 51. In that case, after a number of retries, the modem will soft reset. This would show in the logs as a succession of T3 error followed by a T4 event, which is the reset. I'm assuming that the firmware still reports this stuff.

Your short outages are events caused by downstream issues. If the Post-RS error rate is rising from hour to hour (or indeed minute to minute), then you have data corruption coming into the modem. As this is sporadic, it's unlikely to be the modem itself. It could be anywhere (like a tired laser at the optical node in the street). The key to finding out more is to ask your neighbours if it's happening to them. If so, then it's an area fault; if not then it may be anything from the local cabinet tap point to the drop point at your home.

So thr ate at which Post-RS errors are occurring is the next diagnostic needed.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 15:19   #18
david_w2k
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Is an attenuator fitted?

As has been pointed out, 51 is the upper upstream power limit and the system will continue to work until/unless the VM can't read what is sent at 51. In that case, after a number of retries, the modem will soft reset. This would show in the logs as a succession of T3 error followed by a T4 event, which is the reset. I'm assuming that the firmware still reports this stuff.

Your short outages are events caused by downstream issues. If the Post-RS error rate is rising from hour to hour (or indeed minute to minute), then you have data corruption coming into the modem. As this is sporadic, it's unlikely to be the modem itself. It could be anywhere (like a tired laser at the optical node in the street). The key to finding out more is to ask your neighbours if it's happening to them. If so, then it's an area fault; if not then it may be anything from the local cabinet tap point to the drop point at your home.

So thr ate at which Post-RS errors are occurring is the next diagnostic needed.

Thanks Seph. They only increment up when the issue is occurring, otherwise they stay the same. For example I copy and pasted that table yesterday and the numbers were the same this morning following no issues. TBB graph completely clean normally and I get full speed, so most of the time I forget about the power levels etc.

Over the past few months I havent kept a close eye on it so will keep looking but am reluctant to spend too much time on it if I can't get through to a VM engineer at a suitable level to have a sensible discussion on the phone and they understand basic networking concepts.

Will chat with one of our neighbours and report back. Really appreciate your advice by the way!

EDIT: No attenuator fitted

Last edited by david_w2k; 08-01-2021 at 16:25.
Old 08-01-2021, 15:48   #19
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

If you get a moment, have a read of the attachment. It covers all the plates that are spinning at the same time!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf POWER LEVELS. & SNR (160824).pdf (265.1 KB, 15 views)

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 17:27   #20
david_w2k
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
If you get a moment, have a read of the attachment. It covers all the plates that are spinning at the same time!

Thanks - will do! Have used your excellent guide in the past but not for a long time - really interesting.

In terms of resolving the issue wherever it sits I assume it’ll need a VM engineer though? I guess Ill probably wait until it’s a bigger issue to hopefully get past the tier 1 support team...
Old 08-01-2021, 18:27   #21
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_w2k View Post
Thanks yeah seems to be the conclusion.

I got through to VM earlier as had another short drop out... The person on the phone refused to log it as an issue, said there is no fault and started going down the route of saying it was due to my own router (which they also cannot help with).

I tried to explain it was due to the cable running from their modem to their cabinet but he said his workflow shows no issue, nothing they can do to help!! He also wouldnt give me a reference number so that I could follow up.

Is anyone who works for VM able to help me book an engineer to resolve? Or send me some instructions and I'll walk over to the cabinet by our driveway (joking)
If you turn off your hub and use the my virgin app and choose the flow of flashing green light it lets you book a technician
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote