Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | GRE Tunnel - Still the same?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

GRE Tunnel - Still the same?

Old 19-12-2020, 12:21   #1
Sloth
cf.member

Sloth is an unknown quantity at this point
GRE Tunnel - Still the same?

I have recently signed up to vmb and I've selected a single static ip for the service. Reading up a bit it seems previously the whole gre situation was not fantastic and inherited a lot of problems.

I was wondering if anyone currently on vmb could let me know if this has improved at all or if I am about to be in for a rough ride?

The static ip is pretty much a requirement at the moment, and I'd rather not go down the l2tp route with aaisp.

Thanks
Sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-12-2020, 16:48   #2
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice
Re: GRE Tunnel - Still the same?

For what it's worth, the residential IP is very close to static, as long as you keep the same WAN MAC address on whatever router you use with it, it stays the same - I have had mine for 4 years, even with a new account (same house, but cancel in my name and new account in wife's name for better deals, kept same IP).

I know this is not what you're asking but I've always thought I needed a static IP too but between it not changing anyway and having automatic DDNS if it does, I don't care anymore.

I don't have business so can't speak to the GRE tunnel issues.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 17:11   #3
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

It's incredibly rare to have your IP change as a VM home customer.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 15:24   #4
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

I am using the static IP address service from VM Business and don't experience issues.
If you refer to the performance issues associated with this setup in it's earlier days, that has been completely resolved.

Here is my speedtest today:

ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote