Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is it true that VM are building their own mobile network?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Is it true that VM are building their own mobile network?

Old 30-08-2017, 20:43   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Is it true that VM are building their own mobile network?

Just come off the phone from a friend who has been told that VM have completed phase I of a three phase programme to build their own mobile network.

Apparently, this is because of the restrictive practices being imposed on them by their current provider EE eg they stopped them offering unlimited data, being able to cap customers to prevent huge bills etc.

Not sure if this is in the public domain; has anyone else heard about this?
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-08-2017, 20:59   #2
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold
Re: Is it true that VM are building their own mobile network?

Yes and no. As part of the renewal with EE announced at the start of the year, Virgin are becoming a 'thick' MVNO, meaning they are taking on more responsibility such as billing and simcards etc:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...less-contract/
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 21:36   #3
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I didnt know BT owned EE .....

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 22:46   #4
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

They are not building their own network but doing more of the 'work' running over the top of the EE network.

There's an on-off thing running with Vodafone over an asset swap that would involve Virgin Media and Vodafone merging in the British Isles.

VM don't have the money to full-on build a mobile network, and Liberty Global aren't especially inclined to provide or guarantee it due in no small part to the issues with Lightning.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 23:07   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
When they needed to pay off some debt years ago, BT (IMO unwisely) sold off their mobile division.

To get back in the game they bought EE not too long ago.

Thanks for the replies everybody, I was led to believe that Virgin Mobile were building their own masts, laying their own cables etc to create their own network.
Old 31-08-2017, 06:27   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
They bought it in January 2016 for £12.5 billion.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 12:29   #7
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Thanks for the replies everybody, I was led to believe that Virgin Mobile were building their own masts, laying their own cables etc to create their own network.
I can't say for sure it's not happening, it's just vanishingly unlikely. Liberty last I heard were rather unhappy with Lightning's progress, seriously behind schedule, and are extremely unlikely to green light another massive infrastructure program by VM running simultaneously.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 19:44   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
They bought it in January 2016 for £12.5 billion.
So it would seem.

I thought O2 was their mobile system (Cellnet when I last used it) but apparently they sold that to Telefonica way back in 2006.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 19:54   #9
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

BT Cellnet demerged in 2002 (I was a Programme Manager there at the time), consolidated with other European mobile companies to become mmO2, which was bought, as you say, by Telefonica.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 20:49   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

It did seem daft to sell off what was obviously going to be a growth market; maybe they were so cash strapped at the time that they had no alternative.

I vaguely remember getting a load of documentation/new share certificates when the two companies split and then eventually receiving some cash from Telefonica.