Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after...

Old 08-11-2012, 13:36   #61
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
There's always good and bad output from Hollywood and it has been thus since the invention of the motion picture.
Sorry but I disagree.There was a time when there was less dross than there is now.Now it's practically all dross.
Old 08-11-2012, 14:48   #62
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Have to disagree Maggy. There is still a lot of entertaining movies out there. Maybe not to suit you but I've enjoyed a lot of recent releases.
Old 08-11-2012, 14:54   #63
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Sorry but I disagree.There was a time when there was less dross than there is now.Now it's practically all dross.
The 70's and 80's had more than their fair share of poor films, For every One Flew over the Cuckoo Nest there was anything with Doug McClure in it for a start

Sweeping generalisations such as yours is comparable to complaining that "it was so much better in our day"

I'm afraid looking towards the past with Rose tinted spectacles jsut doesn't wash.
Old 08-11-2012, 15:39   #64
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
The 70's and 80's had more than their fair share of poor films, For every One Flew over the Cuckoo Nest there was anything with Doug McClure in it for a start

Sweeping generalisations such as yours is comparable to complaining that "it was so much better in our day"

I'm afraid looking towards the past with Rose tinted spectacles jsut doesn't wash.
I'm right, you're wrong but then we are both entitled to our viewpoint..

All I know is I went to the cinema far more often in the past than I do now.I also don't buy or rent them anymore.So that tells me something that maybe I'm a bit more discerning than most.Frankly it's practically all remakes of remakes or reboots or just CGI stuffed crap at present.

And the next age related reference gets you a poke in the eye.
Old 08-11-2012, 17:29   #65
Will21st
Inactive

Services: XL Tv,100MB,M Phone.
Will21st has reached the bronze age
Will21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze age

Quote:
So people like you are to blame for the crap films we get today..The reason why I haven't been to see a single film in the cinema this year and haven't bought a new dvd film at all this year.

Of course the industry is not doing so well..boredom has set in.

I laughed at the idea of Rambo 31 once.I'm not laughing now.I'm just too depressed to spend my hard earned cash on crap from Hollywood anymore.
Yes,that's me and me alone!

Sorry,but the way I see you are solely concentrating on the negative.Dare I suggest to you that cinema has never been more exciting than it is today?

We get Digital,high frame rates,3D,2K,4K,Dolby Atmos and so on. Cinema is going through the biggest technological Revolution and you're saying it's stale and boring?
There are more independent films than ever and there's plenty of fresh and original films out there. It sounds to me like you're looking to Hollywood and expecting Indie Films. I think you need to look elsewhere.....

I'll also say this: Wether it's your rose-tinted good old days ( ) or today,this is he Film Business ,first and foremost,not the Film Charity!

Everybody has mortgages and bills to pay and investors want their money back. That's the game,and that has always been the case.Or do you think Gone with the Wind,Rear Window and French Connection were made purely for the Love of Art? I promise you they were not.

To me,right now is the Golden Age of Cinema,never ben a better time to get involved and break into the Industry. Costs have come down to such an extent and distribution models are changing so rapidly,there's more Indie fare than ever,all you have to do is look for it.

Quote:

Totally agree,there has been awful dross in all ages....
Will21st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 17:41   #66
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will21st View Post
Yes,that's me and me alone!

Sorry,but the way I see you are solely concentrating on the negative.Dare I suggest to you that cinema has never been more exciting than it is today?

We get Digital,high frame rates,3D,2K,4K,Dolby Atmos and so on. Cinema is going through the biggest technological Revolution and you're saying it's stale and boring?
There are more independent films than ever and there's plenty of fresh and original films out there. It sounds to me like you're looking to Hollywood and expecting Indie Films. I think you need to look elsewhere.....

I'll also say this: Wether it's your rose-tinted good old days ( ) or today,this is he Film Business ,first and foremost,not the Film Charity!

Everybody has mortgages and bills to pay and investors want their money back. That's the game,and that has always been the case.Or do you think Gone with the Wind,Rear Window and French Connection were made purely for the Love of Art? I promise you they were not.

To me,right now is the Golden Age of Cinema,never ben a better time to get involved and break into the Industry. Costs have come down to such an extent and distribution models are changing so rapidly,there's more Indie fare than ever,all you have to do is look for it.

Totally agree,there has been awful dross in all ages....
Well the film industry have only got themselves to blame.Even Brad Pitt says the days of ridiculous earnings are past..and I too have increasing costs..as have all consumers of the film industry..If they want my money they are going to have to do better.If you are happy with the state of the industry then that's fine for you..But I suspect I'm not on my own in my opinions.
Old 08-11-2012, 18:22   #67
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Films have only gotten better, as has TV, in my view.

Most of the artistic skills/forms in making a film or a television show are rather new and they are continuing to grow and evolve. Obviously the telling of a story isn't new but how to write a screenplay, how to shoot it, how to act and direct it, and how to accompany it with a musical score are all less than a 100 years old at most. I have seen a number of 'classic' Hollywood films and they don't strike me as much better than some more modern films. They are good and no doubt hugely influential but their legacies were then further built on by more modern day film makers.

The main change seems to be an increasing amount of sequels and franchises as a result of films become more commercially driven but this isn't new nor bad. The studios need the income and they do help finance the risk studios take in more niche films. Franchises aren't new either and exist in other mediums. How many times has Shakespeare, Jane Austin or Sherlock Holmes been 'rebooted'. There never seems to be a year in which a theatre company isn't doing another version of a Shakespeare play or when ITV/BBC has get another poxy adaptation of Sense and Sensibility. We're never to far from a Dicken's TV movie either...
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 19:12   #68
Will21st
Inactive

Will21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Well the film industry have only got themselves to blame.Even Brad Pitt says the days of ridiculous earnings are past..and I too have increasing costs..as have all consumers of the film industry..If they want my money they are going to have to do better.If you are happy with the state of the industry then that's fine for you..But I suspect I'm not on my own in my opinions.
Ok,what Brad Pitt is saying is that the earnings aren't as front-loaded as they used to be. I think that's a good model though. The earning potentials are still vast and I'd suggest they are higher than they once were if you're willing to take very little upfront and have a higher share in the back-end....

Nothing wrong with the risk being shared more equally,I think it's a more sustainable business model than the Star taking $20 million up-front and when the film bombs the blame falls solely on them.

Takes weight off their shoulders,too.

Anyway,if you feel that there aren't any good films out there than that's fine. May I ask how many films you've actually seen in the last few years? Korean Cinema? Scandinavian Cinema? French? Indonesian? Great films from all sorts of countries.

I'm sure you're not alone in your opinion,Maggie,but neither am I or anyone who believes cinema is still great.

---------- Post added at 18:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
snip
Great post and 100% agreed!
Old 08-11-2012, 22:16   #69
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Anyhoo, back to (slightly) Star Wars related items....

Just bought Angry Birds Star Wars - excellent!
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 22:25   #70
Will21st
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Anyhoo, back to (slightly) Star Wars related items....

Just bought Angry Birds Star Wars - excellent!
The mere whiff of new Star Wars movies makes you spend money on SW? I'm no different,love SW.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:56   #71
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
In your opinion maybe, Ive watched a ton of excellent films this year, and last year.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:11   #72
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will21st View Post
The mere whiff of new Star Wars movies makes you spend money on SW? I'm no different,love SW.
Same here l am afraid but its nice that we all have differing opinions about things.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:34   #73
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Films have only gotten better, as has TV, in my view.

Most of the artistic skills/forms in making a film or a television show are rather new and they are continuing to grow and evolve. Obviously the telling of a story isn't new but how to write a screenplay, how to shoot it, how to act and direct it, and how to accompany it with a musical score are all less than a 100 years old at most. I have seen a number of 'classic' Hollywood films and they don't strike me as much better than some more modern films. They are good and no doubt hugely influential but their legacies were then further built on by more modern day film makers.

The main change seems to be an increasing amount of sequels and franchises as a result of films become more commercially driven but this isn't new nor bad. The studios need the income and they do help finance the risk studios take in more niche films. Franchises aren't new either and exist in other mediums. How many times has Shakespeare, Jane Austin or Sherlock Holmes been 'rebooted'. There never seems to be a year in which a theatre company isn't doing another version of a Shakespeare play or when ITV/BBC has get another poxy adaptation of Sense and Sensibility. We're never to far from a Dicken's TV movie either...
In fairness, Shakespeare never wrote Romeo and Juliet II, or Hamlet II, or an entire trilogy of King Lear.

You are right. Hollywod does actually use the money from the blockbusters and other more mainstream films to finance smaller, more risky films. This is the way that (AFAIK) Hollywood has always operated, and, IMO, the way our film industry should be operating. Without the big Disney cartons, we would not have had (for instance) any Quentin Tarentino film.

I think the problem is with Multiplexes. While they can be amazing places to watch films, there have been times when I have had to wait for a smaller, indie film that I've wanted to see to come to DVD or Blu Ray because all my local multiplexes have dedicated half their screens to 24 hour showings of the latest Harry Potter or Twilight film and my local indie cinema is devoting increasing amounts of time to showing mainstream films.

Not that I have any objection to mainstream cinema. Far from it. I love the big blockbusters, but I'd like a little more freedom to go and see something that doesn't have a budget in the tens or hundreds of millions.

Talking of films that have budgets in the hundreds of millions.. It will certainly be interesting to see the new SW movies. I might even bother to go and see the remaining 3d conversions now (never got round to Phantom Menace 3D).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 15:51   #74
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
In your opinion maybe, Ive watched a ton of excellent films this year, and last year.
Yup.

This year I've seen The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, The Raid, DREDD, The Cabin in the Woods, Skyfall... Later this year I'll be seeing The Hobbit...I wouldn't class any of those as "dross" or "crap".
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 17:29   #75
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
In fairness, Shakespeare never wrote Romeo and Juliet II, or Hamlet II, or an entire trilogy of King Lear.
No. He'd already done the whole trilogy thing with Henry VI. Then he added a 4th instalment (Richard III). And then followed up Henry IV with Henry IV part ii.

Apart from that, no, William Shakespeare really didn't go in for sequels.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote