Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Crisis in the NHS

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Crisis in the NHS

Old 19-12-2019, 23:01   #601
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: Crisis in the NHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
TV programme on Channel 4 tonight at 9pm.
The Cure.
My father died due to NHS ineptitude. My mother is currently suffering because of NHS ineptitude. The problem with the NHS isn't underfunding, it's because of truly cr*p staff who have delusions of adequacy and grandeur. I can't comment on the much mentioned management failings but, based on personal experience of the service, I'm sure those are very real as well.
Advertisement
Old 20-12-2019, 10:10   #602
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Crisis in the NHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Because if there is a profit motive, this reduces the amount spent on the service, and adds layers of bureaucracy and cost.

The French and German model is run on State and Registered Charity model, not on a "for profit" model; the estimate is that about 30 percent of American health care expenditures were the result of administration, and that’s before the profit margin is introduced. Private Health in this country depends on the NHS as a backstop - if anything goes seriously wrong, the patient is shipped to the NHS for intensive care & emergency care.

A perfect example of where involving the private sector went wrong is the Probation system - the focus was on cost savings, not making the service fit for purpose.

I agree we need to look at a holistic solution for health and social care, as there are too many gaps at present.
I agree with you on most of that, Hugh, and if we can get the NHS to work better by making more use of charities, that is fine.

However, I don't go along with the idea that profit taken by the private sector has to drain the Health Service of money. Unfortunately, the decision makers who have turned to the private sector for help (PFIs in particular) have done so in the most inept fashion which has piled on unnecessary costs.

If done appropriately, the efficiencies introduced by entering into contracts with the private sector enable the contractor to make a profit from part of the savings, with the rest going back into the NHS. I have achieved this myself in my area of work, so I know it works. The efficiencies that can be gained for the NHS in this way are massive.

We need to use whichever methods work to achieve the ideal arrangements for the NHS and not get so hung up on who is providing the service.

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
My father died due to NHS ineptitude. My mother is currently suffering because of NHS ineptitude. The problem with the NHS isn't underfunding, it's because of truly cr*p staff who have delusions of adequacy and grandeur. I can't comment on the much mentioned management failings but, based on personal experience of the service, I'm sure those are very real as well.
Sorry to hear that, Ramrod. There are countless stories in the press about such incidents and many, many more that do not get reported. We have also been on the receiving side of such inefficiences.

I do take my hat off to the many good, professional consultants, nurses and doctors who work in the NHS, but unfortunately I do actually witness all too many who do not reach those high standards. Given the severe staff shortages that exist, it is not easy to let the bad eggs go, because that means even less resource available for patients.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote