Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Old 03-04-2017, 12:32   #76
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Interesting, but no good for me, I as wanting to be able to connect my phone to these places when I'm out and about. In my part ofthe world many of the 'free wi-fi's' in stores/pubs/restaurants etc is a BT one, where you connect to an open wi-fi only to find a web page with a 'connect for only £3/hr or £30 for a day or similar.

I can connect my phone to any BTFON hotspot.

The SIMPL stays at home acting as a hotspot. ( Mine is in the attic.) Just doing this maintains your credentials for connecting to FON and BTFON with any WiFi device.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2017, 12:20   #77
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
So as it stands:

If you have anything other than a Hub 3.0 then as broadband customer you can use the Virgin Media WiFi service on a compatible device.

If you have a Hub 3.0, then as a broadband customer to use the Virgin Media WiFi service on a compatible device you have allow your Hub 3.0 to be part of the Virgin Media WiFi broadcast network.
Just an update on this - Virgin Media have now removed these restrictions.

So all broadband customers can use Virgin Media WiFi on compatible devices, no matter which kit they have and whether that kit is opted in or out of providing a hotspot.

Last edited by BenMcr; 12-04-2017 at 12:24.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 13:05   #78
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Just an update on this - Virgin Media have now removed these restrictions.

So all broadband customers can use Virgin Media WiFi on compatible devices, no matter which kit they have and whether that kit is opted in or out of providing a hotspot.
The right move, it was all getting very confusing

Having said that haven't managed to pick up any of these hot spots, either those in public places or home hotspots.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 13:23   #79
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

What does the map show within the app? You can see where the hotspots should be.

The switch on for the remaining Hub 3.0 areas hasn't yet started, but is due to start before the end of the month
Old 12-04-2017, 13:26   #80
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I wonder if many home signals even go outside a property, I know mine (on 615 router) only really goes about as far as the drive, you'd have to be extremely lucky to get more than a glimmer of a signal for about 2 seconds if you were walking by.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 15:24   #81
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
I wonder if many home signals even go outside a property, I know mine (on 615 router) only really goes about as far as the drive, you'd have to be extremely lucky to get more than a glimmer of a signal for about 2 seconds if you were walking by.
My 2ac is fine reaches 90 ft down the garden and across the road, I would hope that as the SH3 is newer it will have an even better range.

---------- Post added at 14:24 ---------- Previous post was at 14:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I can connect my phone to any BTFON hotspot.

The SIMPL stays at home acting as a hotspot. ( Mine is in the attic.) Just doing this maintains your credentials for connecting to FON and BTFON with any WiFi device.
I use my daughters BT and its pretty impressive with coverage everywhere practically .
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 16:17   #82
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

hmmm

Quote:
As of November 2015 FON no longer sell the Fonera box and so at present the only way to become part of the FON scheme would be to move your home broadband provider to one of the partner networks (BT in the UK, SFR in France).

FON have said in a statement to Motorhome WiFi: “We confirm that the Fonera is no longer available . It will not affect the free roaming privileges from the Foneras owners account. Right now we have no plans to expire this benefit. ”

Some mobile phone networks give you access to ‘BT WiFi’ (such as O2 or Vodafone) but this does not include ‘FON’.
bugger.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 16:38   #83
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

I've just had an email from Virgin to say my hub is now a hotspot...

It isn't, as it's in modem mode, but it sounds like they've rolled this out to Newcastle now, unfortunately I'm not at home to check right now.

Email below for those interested

Quote:
We're writing to let you know that we're expanding the network of hotspots that Virgin Broadband customers can automatically connect to through the Virgin Media WiFi app, by adding Virgin Media Hubs, including the one in your home.
Adding Virgin Media Hubs to our WiFi network won't affect the internet connection you pay for
To add it to the network, we'll switch on a separate connection inside the Hub in your home. This means the broadband you pay for stays exclusively yours, and remains just as secure.
If you don't want the Hub you use to join our WiFi network, you can opt out. All you need to do is let us know by registering or signing in to your account here and clicking My Profile.
Kind regards,
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 16:54   #84
TAZMANUK
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Volt Package, V6, 1 gig bb, WiFi max 2 pods, maxit TV, anytime chatter
TAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to TAZMANUK

After looking at the app and noticing that i'd have to change over 25 wifi devices as i use my ssid all one word as VIRGINMEDIA and VIRGINMEDIA 5G it stated change any with Virgin Media.

Since mine has a space but the app fails to get the profiles ive opted out if they was sn incentive for customers on a speedboost then id opt in. I only have 100 meg
TAZMANUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 10:41   #85
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZMANUK View Post
After looking at the app and noticing that i'd have to change over 25 wifi devices as i use my ssid all one word as VIRGINMEDIA and VIRGINMEDIA 5G it stated change any with Virgin Media.

Since mine has a space but the app fails to get the profiles ive opted out if they was sn incentive for customers on a speedboost then id opt in. I only have 100 meg

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say here, but you don't need to change anything. The VM hotspots are entirely independent of your own wifi network. You can call it whatever you want.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 11:12   #86
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Nothing live here yet, suspect the email is a pre-emptive warning as I can't see them rolling anything out over the easter weekend incase it goes wrong.
Old 13-04-2017, 11:16   #87
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Is there a setting we can turn on and off in the Hub3 settings?
Old 13-04-2017, 12:13   #88
Synthetic
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Is there a setting we can turn on and off in the Hub3 settings?
It'll be part of a firmware update I imagine
Old 13-04-2017, 12:24   #89
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
It'll be part of a firmware update I imagine
What is the firmware revision for the Hub3 that has it?
Old 13-04-2017, 12:26   #90
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I don't think it's live for my hub but I checked the app and there apparently are Hotspots around Liverpool. Not used them yet though.

I did also get a letter through stating that the wifi app was live and ready to use.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote