Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM's new Freestyle tariffs!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

VM's new Freestyle tariffs!!

Old 14-01-2015, 13:27   #1
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Angry VM's new Freestyle tariffs!!

So VM have moved all their decent handsets to these new freestyle tariffs where you pay seperately for the phone and rental, which means you can upgraded anytime and only pay off the handset cost rather than the full monthly amount.

There isn't even an option of taking a normal monthly tariff with any of the top phones. Which means if you fail the credit check you can only get a crappy phone now with them.

After being a customer for 6 years and having 4 contracts with them I was after the LG G3 but failed the credit check so my only options are to wait 3 months and try again or upgrade(sorry downgrade) to a phone thats aactually worse than my Note 3.

Quiet pathetic that they treat long term customers this way. Why a credit check when they carried one out when I joined them!

My choices now would be

S4 Mini
S5 Mini
Xperia Z2
Xperia Z1 Compact
Some Lumia phones
Cheap Xperia Phones

Everything else
Xperia Z3
Note 4
S5
LG G3
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus

and others are Freestyle only, so thats the thanks I get for being a loyal customer and having never missed a bill in the last 6 years.

Apparently it makes them cheaper being top phones. I'd rather pay the £69 up front charge they used to have on most of those phones.
Old 14-01-2015, 15:20   #2
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: VM's new Freestyle tariffs!!

Well if l get treated like that after being a customer for 6 years then l know what my answer would be to them.
Old 14-01-2015, 17:10   #3
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

Seems surprising they act in this manner. Is your new phone's monthly cost more than what you currently pay?
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 18:11   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Unless your staff why would you pay virgin mobile prices anyway? what tarrif are you looking for the LG G3 is mega cheap on ee etc
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 20:00   #5
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I was staff and still get my my rates discount as per the rules.

The new contract would be exactly the same per month, but as I have found out the credit check is done as the company get the money for the phone straight away.

You have two direct debits set up, one for the tariff to VM and the other for the month handset charge. So its really a credit check as if you were taking out a hire purchase agreement now!

I also now need to wait 3 months before I can even try again. Am totally angry.

So its either wait and hope my credit rating sorts its self out or take a crappy phone just now or leave and get stuck without a phone as I probably would fail credit checks with other phone companies also.
Old 14-01-2015, 20:09   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Freestyle contracts Can't be used for mates rates
Old 14-01-2015, 20:27   #7
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

So you don't get staff discount at all anymore if you opt for a top handset?

Sounds totally screwed up!
Old 14-01-2015, 20:39   #8
jb66
cf.mega poster

You can get it on myrates 50% off but not mates rates. They convert the freestyle contract to a old fashioned type for tax reasons
Old 14-01-2015, 20:41   #9
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

It's my rates I'm on at the moment. But anyway I won't be upgrading until I sort my credit rating I guess.
Old 14-01-2015, 23:27   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I'm not sure if you'd be able to keep the discount if you upgraded to one of the Freestyle contracts anyway - it's a completely different set up.
Old 15-01-2015, 00:11   #11
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I'm not sure if you'd be able to keep the discount if you upgraded to one of the Freestyle contracts anyway - it's a completely different set up.
He wont as myrates has to now be applied from the intranet
Old 15-01-2015, 00:21   #12
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

It does?

So if any of my friends on my rates upgraded they would lose the 25%?
Old 15-01-2015, 00:33   #13
jb66
cf.mega poster

you mean mates rates?

It says on the intranet that mates rates is suspended at the moment while they update the new offers
Old 15-01-2015, 01:00   #14
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Well my rates mates rates lol.

I do think they should still offer the option of standard tariffs on all phones.

This new split pricing and taking a loan is silly.
Old 15-01-2015, 02:08   #15
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
This new split pricing and taking a loan is silly.
O2 did it and it was considered a 'good thing', so much so they restricted it to direct sales only to tease people away from independents.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote