Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:41   #1501
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassiekev View Post
Don't know if the Nexus is the same as the Fire but I learned the hard way that the Fire only puts out 5.1 via HDMI - not Optical.
5.1 sound works fine for me via optical. You may need to change the setting under Audio for Dolby Digital to explicitly use optical or it may autonegotiate to use what the HDMI connection prefers.

VLC is now available from the Fire TV app store, which while a bit buggy right now integrates better with the device than Kodi and won't make a mess all over the file system like Kodi does.
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2015, 13:03   #1502
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassiekev View Post
Don't know if the Nexus is the same as the Fire but I learned the hard way that the Fire only puts out 5.1 via HDMI - not Optical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I briefly read a review of the Nexus player and the lack of 5.1, so read no further. Do ripped DVDs played via Kodi give 5.1?
The Nexus supports 5.1 it just looks like the netflix app hasn't been updated to incorporate this which is odd cause it works on Chromecast. 5.1 and DTS work just fine in Kodi once the correct settings are enabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
It may be worth looking into the Windows tv sticks and boxes that have started to show up, i'm quite interested in these myself and am very close to purchasing a pipex 7 windows 8.1 box a bit pricey though at £149.
I did have a brief think about this but apps are really lacking in Windows 8 and it would still be a case of using Kodi most of the time so for the timebeing I still think something like a Nexus or Fire TV is a better option as they are pretty lightweight boxes and hopefully apps will start coming through think and fast.

---------- Post added at 12:03 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
5.1 sound works fine for me via optical. You may need to change the setting under Audio for Dolby Digital to explicitly use optical or it may autonegotiate to use what the HDMI connection prefers.

VLC is now available from the Fire TV app store, which while a bit buggy right now integrates better with the device than Kodi and won't make a mess all over the file system like Kodi does.
I can't imagine VLC is anywhere near as feature rich as Kodi, what sort of mess does Kodi make of the file system?
Old 03-04-2015, 13:32   #1503
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
The Nexus supports 5.1 it just looks like the netflix app hasn't been updated to incorporate this which is odd cause it works on Chromecast. 5.1 and DTS work just fine in Kodi once the correct settings are enabled.

I did have a brief think about this but apps are really lacking in Windows 8 and it would still be a case of using Kodi most of the time so for the timebeing I still think something like a Nexus or Fire TV is a better option as they are pretty lightweight boxes and hopefully apps will start coming through think and fast.

---------- Post added at 12:03 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

I can't imagine VLC is anywhere near as feature rich as Kodi, what sort of mess does Kodi make of the file system?
The windows tv boxes and sticks are based on the pc version of windows 8.1 i think. Also with google recently starting to enable running of android apps on any device that can run chrome browser http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...d-apps-1290145 a windows device is looking very very tempting.
Kodi runs flawlessly on windows 8.1 btw i have kodi on my windows pc also on my linux partition and on my firetv too all run without issues.
Old 03-04-2015, 15:18   #1504
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Consumer perception favours OTT services, but as this will be evolutionary rather than revolutionary, stick to cable for now says risk analysis firm Moody:

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201504033...#axzz3WAGDRief

They also predict that rising prices will push out less affluent cable customers.

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:11 ----------

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201504033...#axzz3WAGDRief

Not keen on this idea of OTT providers having exclusive content. I can see why they do it, but it's the same as Sky keeping HBO material for themselves or sports fans now having to pay for more than one provider.
Old 03-04-2015, 15:28   #1505
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Why shouldn't they be able to have exclusive content ?
Old 03-04-2015, 15:31   #1506
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
but it's the same as Sky keeping HBO material for themselves .

Not really; Amazon/Netflix buy the rights to single shows from various networks. Sky have tied up the whole output of one network (HBO) for several years to come.

Also, Amazon/ Netflix keep back episodes of the shows they first show on a weekly basis; Sky keep a paltry four episodes for a very limited viewing time.
Old 03-04-2015, 18:06   #1507
zantarous

zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

I am pretty sure there have been many reports about Amazon playing hardball with studios and walking away from them if they can't sign exclusive content deals.

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Right Fire TV up and running Kodi is just scanning my librarys, addons added pretty much the same user experience as on the Nexus.

I have to say though the Fire TV is hands down better in the app department there are actual apps to watch and stream UK TV and the store is much better laid out including reviews from users. The Play store on the nexus player is a bit horrid looking which is surprising as the Phone and Tablet one is so beautiful.

Everything runs in nice 5.1+ from Amazon and netflix, I am a bit conflicted as to which one to put in the bedroom now.
Old 03-04-2015, 19:37   #1508
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post

Apologies, on re-reading my post what I said was at least partially wrong. The problem lies with Amazon Prime (not sure about the other stuff). This is something that has been driving me mad for months - couldn't understand why Netflix can output 5.1 but couldn't get it on Prime. If you Google '5.1 sound problems on Amazon Prime' there are app 930,000 hits.

I wrote to HDFury in the States who design (and, I think manufacture) little boxes that take a signal from HDMI & output to component. One of their models, HDFury3, strips audio from the HDMI and passes it out via SPDIF in either stereo or 5.1. I asked if the HDFury3 could strip audio from the Amazon Fire and the response (paraphrased) was, 'no, the current device cannot extract DD+ which is output from Prime. A new device will be available to do so but DD+ is only output via HDMI. Standard DD is not a problem.'

Hope that clears up any misunderstanding I've created.
Old 03-04-2015, 19:57   #1509
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
No there is not PD as there are not many apps full stop on the TiVo but hang on Cindy Rose did say there are hundreds coming soon.
thanks for the response den, missed it earlier
Old 03-04-2015, 20:10   #1510
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I am pretty sure there have been many reports about Amazon playing hardball with studios and walking away from them if they can't sign exclusive content deals.

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Right Fire TV up and running Kodi is just scanning my librarys, addons added pretty much the same user experience as on the Nexus.

I have to say though the Fire TV is hands down better in the app department there are actual apps to watch and stream UK TV and the store is much better laid out including reviews from users. The Play store on the nexus player is a bit horrid looking which is surprising as the Phone and Tablet one is so beautiful.

Everything runs in nice 5.1+ from Amazon and netflix, I am a bit conflicted as to which one to put in the bedroom now.
The firetv is a cracking piece of kit download agk fire to your android phone and you can use your phone to sideload android apps such as itv player etc to your firetv.
Old 03-04-2015, 20:40   #1511
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The firetv is a cracking piece of kit download agk fire to your android phone and you can use your phone to sideload android apps such as itv player etc to your firetv.
Can you change the DNS setting on the FireTV stick so we can watch Netflix USA or is it locked down like the Chromecast?
Old 03-04-2015, 20:44   #1512
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Can you change the DNS setting on the FireTV stick so we can watch Netflix USA or is it locked down like the Chromecast?
You can yes follow this guide http://help.unotelly.com/support/sol...mazon-fire-tv-
Old 03-04-2015, 20:46   #1513
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thanks i am i bit annoyed i splashed out on a Chromecast 2 weeks ago now!

Do you have to pay to change the DNS on the Fire stick?
Old 03-04-2015, 21:55   #1514
zantarous

Quote:
Do you need a mouse to get ITV working as I couldn't get past the postcode entry. Have you tried the new C4 app that one gives me a error.
Old 03-04-2015, 22:07   #1515
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Thanks i am i bit annoyed i splashed out on a Chromecast 2 weeks ago now!

Do you have to pay to change the DNS on the Fire stick?
Only your monthly sub to your smart dns provider which works out about £3p/m

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 21:06 ----------

Quote:
Do you need a mouse to get ITV working as I couldn't get past the postcode entry. Have you tried the new C4 app that one gives me a error.
Yes but you can but remote mouse for firetv app for about a quid or any wireless mouse will do just plug the dongle for mouse into firetv usb port a usb mouse will work too.
4OD and all4 do not work on firetv at moment, my spidey senses tell me a all4 app is coming for firetv.
Closed Thread