Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | T-Mobile and Orange to merge

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

T-Mobile and Orange to merge

Old 08-09-2009, 08:40   #1
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
T-Mobile and Orange to merge

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8243226.stm

T-Mobile UK and Orange are to merge - becoming the UK's biggest mobile phone firm with 28.4 million customers.

Doesn't mention Virgin Mobile, but Orange are probably the least likely to get nasty with them (I hope)
Old 08-09-2009, 09:00   #2
irishguymcr
Inactive

Services: Samsung V+ M+ TV/M Phone/ XXL Broadband SKY HD for tv
irishguymcr is on a distinguished roadirishguymcr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to irishguymcr
Re: T-Mobile and Orange to merge

Thanks for this info Ben maybe now Apple will have a rethink about giving exclusivity to O2 for the iphone as O2 will no longer be the biggest operator.
irishguymcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:08   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Read a bit further into it. It seems that half the new company will still be half owned by T-Mobile so there shouldn't be any change at all for Virgin Mobile - except access to Orange coverage
Old 08-09-2009, 10:10   #4
zing_deleted

Orange would not give me a contract T mobile did I wonder what will happen at upgrade time

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguymcr View Post
Thanks for this info Ben maybe now Apple will have a rethink about giving exclusivity to O2 for the iphone as O2 will no longer be the biggest operator.
Jailbreaking and unlocking the Iphone is common place nowadays
Old 08-09-2009, 10:14   #5
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Indeed, my iPhone 3g works very well on Virgin mobile
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:35   #6
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Orange is NOT going to merge with T-Mobile as France Telecom has denied this and has insufficient funds to do so.

The bidders will be Vodafone and 3.

Vodafone may find it difficult because the competition commision might get involved and T-Mobile and Vodafone run on two very different frequencies whilst 3 and T-Mobile run on similar frequencies and also share 3G sites. Hutchison Whampoa has a lot more funds than France Telecom.

T-Mobile have quietly being offering the Iphone to high spending customers who are threatning to leave as a retentional deal.

---------- Post added at 10:35 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

Omg it is true! Well time to ditch my back up T-Mobile sim. Orange is Crap!
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 15:58   #7
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
Orange would not give me a contract T mobile did....
Really? It was the other way around with me. (Well, Tmobile were one2one back then)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post

Omg it is true! Well time to ditch my back up T-Mobile sim. Orange is Crap!
Isn't that kind of cutting your nose off to spite your face?

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 16:20   #8
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

What does worry me is the comment in the BBC news:
Quote:
Customers on existing contracts would not see their tariffs changed, he said.
"But when your contract comes up for renewal you may well find the price is more expensive."
I wonder how this leaves the Virgin Mobile customers when their contracts come for renewal?

Whilst it's not a merger as such, it's about as close as you can get to it without calling it a merger:

Quote:
Today we've had the announcement that France Telecom and Deutsche Telekom are combining their UK mobile operations, which means that Orange will be glued to T-Mobile.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 17:02   #9
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
I wonder how this leaves the Virgin Mobile customers when their contracts come for renewal?
It shouldn't affect them as the price they pay is tied into the agreement VM have to operate on the T-Mobile network

As T-Mobile will retain part ownership then the agreement remains in place and so should the prices and terms.

However the sticking point will come at the next renewal of the MVNO agreement
Old 08-09-2009, 17:41   #10
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Some analysts are saying that the regulators may insist on a Virgin split:

"Regulators will most likely focus on the two firms’ partnerships, the Ovum analysts said. “Regulators will have to look at the Virgin Mobile wholesale deal with T-Mobile and T-Mobile’s network-sharing deal with 3,” Hartley and Obiodu said.

“We expect the Virgin Mobile deal to be decoupled – Orange/T-Mobile tacitly suggested this by separating out Virgin Mobile’s customers in their subscriber data,” they added."

Full article here : http://www.itpro.co.uk/614878/surpri...ange-uk-market
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 17:44   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

I think that just means make it clear who are VM customers in the 'this is how many people we have using our network' data rather than anything serious
Old 08-09-2009, 18:00   #12
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Less competition, fewer good deals I bet...
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 18:20   #13
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Yeah because if you are a Virgin Mobile 3G customer you will be using:

T-Mobile or Orange's 2G network and then you will be using 3's 3G network, its like one big network and can't see the goverment going with that!

However when Virgin and T-Mobile signed agreements and contracts for Virgin Mobile to use the T-Mobile network the contracts generally run for a period of 5 to 10 years, so they can't just kick them off. Its like when you sell a house with sitting tennants in, you can't just chuck them out.

What if Virgin uses the 3 network, that is more likely to happen, following reasons:

3 won't be expensive, 3 will get desperate and will offer Virgin Media a good deal.

3 does not compete with Virgin Media on services such as homephone,broadband,dial up internet,Analogue TV,Digital TV,FM Radio or business telecoms products.

So that will create a good partnership.

O2 competes with Virgin Broadband

Vodafone competes with Virgin phone and Virgin Broadband with its Vodafone at home service.

Orange also competes with Virgin phone and Virgin Broadband,Orange also offers Business telecoms products which you could say compete with NTL Telewest Business services.

Orange and Vodafone work with Arquiva formerly NTL Broadcast, Arquiva is planning to launch IPTV services similar to Tiscali TV in the UK, When France Telecom got rid of its shares in NTL, it quit working with NTL UK and some kind of industry dispute arose, so I cannot see Virgin Media working with a group that competes in every way and cannot see Virgin Media working with orange when it works with Arquiva as its planning to launch a TV service which threatens Cable TV.

So for good working relations, 3 would be the best partner.

3 will offer 98% 3G coverage of the UK population, in the past it had issues with network coverage, that was because the network was new and 3G technology was just taking off in Britain, I have seen an improvement.

I think once 3 has completed its improvements to network coverage it should launch a new advertising campaign focusing on the network coverage issue, it could offer a 30 day money back gaurantee if customers find the network coverage poor, and then launch something similar to Orange's network performance promise, where phone calls drop due to poor coverage offer reimbursements.

From my experience, I found Orange 2G and 3G quite bad where ever I go, on the 2G reception from Orange, the reception bars would bounce up and down and offer poor sound quality during calls, when sending texts, i would sometimes have to press resend because the reception bars would immediately go to 0 or 1 bar and this was with a few phones. Now my problem with Orange 3G, I would get no coverage in my house and if I put it on dual mode, while i'm out it would constantly bounce from 2G to 3G all the time which meant missing incomming calls during the automatic process. Another problem with Orange 3G is that when using features such as You Tube, it would frequently keep braking out when streaming.

Now I don't get any of those problems with 3.

Now the problem with T-Mobile 2G, indoor coverage is shocking,not just my house but at work and virtually every building i go into, and as for basement flats! Forget it! Voicemail definately useful there lol Another problem I have experienced is when going outside london especially semi rural areas, the reception again lets me down.

I have no proper experience of T-Mobile's 3G coverage, as I have always had 2G phones when using T-Mobile or Virgin Mobile.
Old 08-09-2009, 18:40   #14
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Perhaps I'll get a decent signal on my orange phone now, My T-mobile had full signal at all times.
Old 08-09-2009, 19:46   #15
m419
Inactive

It will take a while before you see any changes.

Also what will happen to emergency services and International operator?

On T-Mobile its provided by Cable and Wireless
On Orange its provided by BT (Orange doesnt have international operator)

I think what they will do is run the two companies seperately like Vodafone and 3 in Australia.

In Australia, 3 and Vodafone are now owned by one group Vodafone-Hutchison Australia. However, 3 and Vodafone trade seperately.

In Australia, Hutchison quit using the Orange brand name when it migrated all its 2G customers to 3, therefore the Hutchison network in Australia is now completely 3G like here in the UK, I suppose integrating the two networks will allow better 3G coverage and provide 2G coverage for 3 customers.

Maybe thats what they will do here with Orange and T-Mobile. The group name could be called Deutsch Telekom Orange UK and T-Mobile UK and Orange Personal Communications services could be subsidaries. They could then merge the networks together but have two seperate customer bases as we currently know them.

A new subsidary could be formed specifically for business customers under a new brand name.

The T-Mobile brand is very popular and is known in many countries around the world, so I could not see Deutsche Telekom just sit there and let there brand which they spent billions on promoting go down the toilet just like that, they will continue using it.

Orange is the same, its the best brand name which France Telecom holds and spent a hell of a lot purchasing it from the previous owners together with the networks, in fact Hutchison continued leasing the brand from France Telecom in several countries around the world including Hong Kong until they launched 3.

Therefore existing names will probably be used.