Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | thinking about getting the 300/300 sim card

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

thinking about getting the 300/300 sim card

Old 24-01-2008, 22:36   #1
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute
thinking about getting the 300/300 sim card

And i've got a few questions.

1. If you choose to get it on pay as you go do you get a card you can use to top up with or can you get one from a shop?

2. Do you have to top up before a certain date each month to get and maintain the 300/300 offer or will you still get it if you top up late?

3. how easy is it to port my number over from my current provider and who would I need to email about it?

cheers.
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-01-2008, 23:12   #2
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Re: thinking about getting the 300/300 sim card

1) No - you have to get it from the site.
2)Yes. you have to have the money on by the anaversary date - then they take the £10 off. If you forget to top up - they will add the bungle to your sim again when you ahve the money on.
3) Dead easy - get the PAC from your current supplier - ring them - they'll sort it out.

It's a great text and calls offer but be aware of the GPRS charges
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 15:58   #3
Great One
Inactive

Services: TV XL, Sky Sports. Broadband L
Great One is an unknown quantity at this point

Does look like a very good deal, i'm contracted to Vodafone untill the end of May, or I would've got this now

Didn't realise it was top-ups though, I thought they would just add a tenner to your overall bill, and add the allowances every month automatically like normal contracts?
Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 17:01   #4
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers

I'm on this and you just get a bill every month; like being on a contract except there's no minimum term. I don't know where all this talk of topping up comes from?
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 17:16   #5
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickendippers View Post
I'm on this and you just get a bill every month; like being on a contract except there's no minimum term. I don't know where all this talk of topping up comes from?
Probably from the pay as you go version I guess.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 15:33   #6
jailhouse
Inactive

jailhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

I use the 2x300 package and it is excellent (about the only thing VM have got right), and i believe the "top up" analogy has arisen from when customers have set up a restriction on a phone (say parents setting a maximum £20 spend on their phone) you receive a text message stating the allowance has been used, you can then "top up" using the supplied card or buy a voucher.

Hope that has cleared up any doubts.

jh
jailhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 15:56   #7
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailhouse View Post
I use the 2x300 package and it is excellent (about the only thing VM have got right), and i believe the "top up" analogy has arisen from when customers have set up a restriction on a phone (say parents setting a maximum £20 spend on their phone) you receive a text message stating the allowance has been used, you can then "top up" using the supplied card or buy a voucher.

Hope that has cleared up any doubts.

jh
No because you're wrong. They do both a contract and a PAYG version. I use the PAYG and on a set date the min and text are added to your account and £10 is taken from your cash balance that's all.

Nothing to do with limits.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:58   #8
snazzy
Inactive

Services: BB/TV/Phone
snazzy is on a distinguished roadsnazzy is on a distinguished road

How many of these cards can I get. I may need 3 for now?
snazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 17:44   #9
dave_dph
Inactive

dave_dph has a spectacular aura about themdave_dph has a spectacular aura about themdave_dph has a spectacular aura about themdave_dph has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
No because you're wrong. They do both a contract and a PAYG version. I use the PAYG and on a set date the min and text are added to your account and £10 is taken from your cash balance that's all.

Nothing to do with limits.
The sim only version isn't really a contract. It's pay as you go with the 300 + 300 cable bundle added on, the monthly payment is taken by direct debit - unless you choose the top ups route.

You are free to leave at any time, no contract.
dave_dph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 19:09   #10
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazzy View Post
How many of these cards can I get. I may need 3 for now?
I may be wrong but I think you are limited to two
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:22   #11
snazzy
Inactive

Services: BB/TV/Phone
snazzy is on a distinguished roadsnazzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I may be wrong but I think you are limited to two
Mm, well that's better than just one. I'll ring nearer the time. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 09:22 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------

I believe they do roll over as well, so answer me this please. If I have 300/300 and one use 100/100 for the first month. Do I then get 500/500 next month? If so, and I use less then 500/500 month will I always have roll over min's and texts? 300 texts for me is insane, I'd never ever use them. Currently I'm on 3 and use about 300 of my 500 min's sometimes a bit more, so I'm hoping to be able to use only a bit the first month, so technically I should always have some rollover, cos' I'll always have some from the prior month unused. I think that makes sense.
snazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:03   #12
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers

Yes it does rollover for 1 month (unlike sim only offers from other providers). So if you used 0 txts and minutes in the first month you can have 600 of each the next month.
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:02   #13
brianivor
Inactive

Services: 2mb broadband / phone
brianivor is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: thinking about getting the 300/300 sim card

I have all the other VM services but have an 02 PAYG mobile phone.
To take advantage of the 300/300 SIM offer, will my phone need unlocking?

Also, could someone please clarify the rollover situation for me - I understand that unused minutes in month 1 are carried over into month 2, but what happens at the beginning of month 3?

Do you start again with just 300/300 mins or do they deduct the mins unused in month 1, so in month 3 you just have the month 3 mins plus the mins unused in month 2 only?

I hope that makes sense!

Oh, and just a general thank you to all the regular guys on the Forum who provide so much help to us ignorant types...............
brianivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:14   #14
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze age
bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianivor View Post
Do you start again with just 300/300 mins or do they deduct the mins unused in month 1, so in month 3 you just have the month 3 mins plus the mins unused in month 2 only?
for me, they just add on 300 of each, each month, and if it's over 600 then it gets capped to 600. this works out marginally better in some circumstances than what you described
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 13:21   #15
King Of Fools
Inactive

Services: 2 for £22 (Broadband Size: M and Phone Size: M), Free TV Size: M and fries!
King Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianivor View Post
I have all the other VM services but have an 02 PAYG mobile phone.
To take advantage of the 300/300 SIM offer, will my phone need unlocking?
As most O2 PAYG phones are locked it seems highly likely that you will have to have it unlocked.
King Of Fools is offline   Reply With Quote