Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New content for Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

New content for Virgin Media

Old 21-12-2016, 15:33   #31
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: New content for Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I'm not concerned for me, PB, but for the fate of VM if they don't get into the fast lane!

Are you serious! Re OTT aps, are VM lagging behind Sky, BT or Talk Talk? I can't be bothered to check, but I suspect not.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-12-2016, 16:25   #32
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Are you serious! Re OTT aps, are VM lagging behind Sky, BT or Talk Talk? I can't be bothered to check, but I suspect not.
The point is, a cable system is capable of doing so much more, and incredibly, Sky's satellite service is developing at speed and although they may be behind today, they will be set to overtake soon. I do find that depressing.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 17:00   #33
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
The point is, a cable system is capable of doing so much more, and incredibly, Sky's satellite service is developing at speed and although they may be behind today, they will be set to overtake soon. I do find that depressing.

Well, if Sky do overtake VM, the option would be to move to Sky

I don't think people are as ignorant as you seem to think, regarding streamer boxes; anyone who browses Amazon, can't avoid the adds for the Fire TV. And many don't care about streaming services; Freeview or Pay TV is all they require plus catchup services which are built in to Freeview and other provider boxes.

I'm surprised how many people that I meet, not young people, know about Kodi. Sadly, they mainly use it for illegal downloads.
Old 16-01-2017, 17:37   #34
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Now that the V6 boxes are rolling out, there will be increasing demand for more UHD content. 4k Universe could be the kind of thing that VM may go for - I certainly hope we are not simply reliant on Sky and BT.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/64880...hinese-launch/

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:27 ----------

Quote:
Well, if Sky do overtake VM, the option would be to move to Sky

I don't think people are as ignorant as you seem to think, regarding streamer boxes; anyone who browses Amazon, can't avoid the adds for the Fire TV. And many don't care about streaming services; Freeview or Pay TV is all they require plus catchup services which are built in to Freeview and other provider boxes.

I'm surprised how many people that I meet, not young people, know about Kodi. Sadly, they mainly use it for illegal downloads.
I thought I'd ask some of my acquaintences, young and old, if they knew what Kodi was. Not one of them had a clue.

I think it depends what circles you mix with, passingbat. I am absolutely certain that the majority of the population are pretty ignorant about streaming boxes. Although a bigger percentage may have heard about Fire TV, most people who know about it only appreciate that they can get Amazon on it.
Old 21-01-2017, 21:09   #35
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
But then Sky already has an online platform with which to distribute content on its called Now TV , of all the traditional UK pay TV platforms it's probably one of the most forward thinking. Should the Murdochs get the remaining 60% of Sky you could argue it also has the content to back it up.

Sky's content isn't exclusive to satellite viewers it's available on Now TV to anyone with an internet connection.
This is true, but you have to pay extra for Now TV. It should be straight forward for VM and other platforms to simply add Sky Atlantic to their offerings in the same way as for other channels.

Are you happy for non Sky audiences to be screwed over by Mr Murdoch & Co?
Old 21-01-2017, 21:47   #36
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I honestly think I may struggle to sleep tonight.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 06:58   #37
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I honestly think I may struggle to sleep tonight.
l had no problem for once
Old 22-01-2017, 09:27   #38
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
This is true, but you have to pay extra for Now TV. It should be straight forward for VM and other platforms to simply add Sky Atlantic to their offerings in the same way as for other channels.

Are you happy for non Sky audiences to be screwed over by Mr Murdoch & Co?

In the established (non streaming) pay TV world, satellite and cable, Atlantic is a Sky USP. Why would Sky give a USP to VM? The only time that would make sense is if it ceased to be a USP or VM had something to offer Sky in return.
Old 22-01-2017, 13:40   #39
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Any idea when Virgin will be able to show UHD broadcasts of Sports from Sky and/or BT?

Not much point having a UHD capable box without any decent content.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 15:39   #40
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Any idea when Virgin will be able to show UHD broadcasts of Sports from Sky and/or BT?

Not much point having a UHD capable box without any decent content.

There are more reasons to get the V6 box than UHD.
Old 22-01-2017, 16:23   #41
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
There are more reasons to get the V6 box than UHD.

Perhaps, but as a newbie to Virgin TV could you enlighten me please?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 20:04   #42
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Perhaps, but as a newbie to Virgin TV could you enlighten me please?

Way (way) faster than Tivo; Netflix is blisteringly fast to load for me, as is moving around the interface.
6 tuners
For those that need it download some recordings/stream recordings to a phone or tablet.

The faster interface and 6 tuners was enough for me.
Old 25-01-2017, 18:28   #43
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
In the established (non streaming) pay TV world, satellite and cable, Atlantic is a Sky USP. Why would Sky give a USP to VM? The only time that would make sense is if it ceased to be a USP or VM had something to offer Sky in return.
Maybe that time will come, with Liberty Media grabbing F1!
Old 07-02-2017, 14:21   #44
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

More like this would be good. Seems like we are slowly moving forward at last.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/65718...xclusive-deal/

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

Virgin Media squares Full Circle with exclusive deal

UK pay TV operator Virgin Media has acquired three seasons of US drama Full Circle.

The exclusive agreement means Virgin has taken rights to DirecTV-commissioned Full Circle: Los Angeles (season one of the trilogy), Full Circle: Chicago (S2) and Full Circle: Miami (S3).

Virgin has been pushing into exclusive content in order to differentiate against pay TV rivals Sky and BT, previously taking exclusive rights to series including Kingdom and Magic City, as TBI first reported.

Season one of Full Circle, from Neil LaBute, follows a cast of characters such as Tom Felton and Minka Kelly as their lives intertwine before culminating in a devastating conclusion. Season two follows a whistle-blowing cop in Chicago, while season three is set in the midst of a US presidential election campaign, during which a charismatic senator wakes up next to a drugged and beaten prostitute but has no recollection of events.

Season one has been made immediately available through Virgin Media’s on-demand box-sets collection hub, with season two and three launching in April and July respectively.

FremantleMedia International sells the show globally, having acquired rights upon the show’s announcement in April 2013.

Virgin content line-up has been expanding rapidly since former Sky programming boss David Bouchier was named chief digital entertainment officer in June 2015.

Bouchier has scored deals with wide-ranging content deals with Turner and UKTV, and is co-leading a four-title drama-development pact for Virgin parent Liberty Global.

Virgin’s cousin in the LIberty portfolio, All3Media, will produce the selected shows, which will play on Liberty cable platforms around the world.
Old 07-02-2017, 16:03   #45
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Lets hope they continue with this move into content.