Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VW accused of 'rigging' emissions tests

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

VW accused of 'rigging' emissions tests

Old 28-09-2015, 19:56   #16
j52c
Inactive

j52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant future
Re: VW accused of 'rigging' emissions tests

Seat have VW diesel engines in their cars as well, think it is mainly the 1.6 and 2.0 litre ones.
j52c is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-09-2015, 20:55   #17
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I had the mick taken out of me when my car had a crack in the turbo pipe and it kicked out black smoke, now its my turn to laugh.

Vehicle lines involved include the Audi A1, A3, A4, A5, A6 and the TT, Q3 and Q5 models.
Old 29-09-2015, 10:13   #18
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the "device" was a software feature of the Bosch diesel injection system to aid *internal* dyno/rolling road testing (by stopping the control system from throwing a wobbly when the front wheels are doing 60mph and the rears 0mph). Bosch apparently told VAG it was not for use in regulatory testing.

The big issue is that Bosch supply a hell of a lot of injection control systems to loads of manufacturers. I doubt that this software feature was limited to the VAG applications.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 10:13   #19
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Skoda have admitted to over 1 million of their cars are the same.
and Audi over 2 million.

I wonder if all car manufacturers say they did the same will make it better for VW if not all of them. and it will all shift to the consumer in the way of paying more tax on diesels?
Dunno. Those two are both owned by VW. As are Seat, another one that owned up to issues.

Looks as though it's across the VW family.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09...issions_tests/
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 10:18   #20
rhyds
Inactive

rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Dunno. Those two are both owned by VW. As are Seat, another one that owned up to issues.

Looks as though it's across the VW family.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09...issions_tests/
Considering most VAG cars share a common platform (including engines) I would expect every brand to be affected aside from Bentley and Porsche, due to fewer (if any) diesels.
Old 30-09-2015, 10:50   #21
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Going to be interesting to see which fixit path they use: Either greater emissions or less headline power? Or maybe a bit of both.
Old 30-09-2015, 11:05   #22
rhyds
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Going to be interesting to see which fixit path they use: Either greater emissions or less headline power? Or maybe a bit of both.
IIRC the VW Group has so far avoided using the eolys additive based systems that other makers (Peugeot/Citroen and Ford) have been using since around 2005. I can see new cars being developed to use these systems. Either that or they will be forced to go for AdBlue, which has been used in HGVs for some time. It all depends on how long the development will take.

The big question is what to do with cars already sold. If the tests have effected CO2 emissions, then there's a taxation question, however if its "just" NOx then I doubt the cars will be recalled.
Old 30-09-2015, 12:13   #23
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

VW announce that 1.2m UK vehicles are affected.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34399503
Old 30-09-2015, 12:35   #24
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
IIRC the VW Group has so far avoided using the eolys additive based systems that other makers (Peugeot/Citroen and Ford) have been using since around 2005. I can see new cars being developed to use these systems. Either that or they will be forced to go for AdBlue, which has been used in HGVs for some time. It all depends on how long the development will take.

The big question is what to do with cars already sold. If the tests have effected CO2 emissions, then there's a taxation question, however if its "just" NOx then I doubt the cars will be recalled.
Given the obvious mis-selling scandal, I would imagine any taxation issues would be managed in the form of a levy paid directly by VW. Trying to increase the VED on consumers who have been misled would be a bit pointless and would inevitably end up in court.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 14:30   #25
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

And how is VW going to compensate for the additional pollution their deception has created I wonder? It'll be interesting to see how the US and EU approach to this differs.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 14:33   #26
rhyds
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
And how is VW going to compensate for the additional pollution their deception has created I wonder? It'll be interesting to see how the US and EU approach to this differs.
The big difference is that US NOx emissions targets are much tougher than EU ones (hence the lack of diesels in the US), so its possible that they might squeak through the EU tests.
Old 30-09-2015, 14:41   #27
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Are EU diesel emission regulations less stringent because the French and Germans make so many of them or are diesels so common here because the regulations are less onerous?

Off topic I know but emissions regulations could be used as, effectively, a trade barrier could they not?
Old 30-09-2015, 14:58   #28
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Are EU diesel emission regulations less stringent because the French and Germans make so many of them or are diesels so common here because the regulations are less onerous?

Off topic I know but emissions regulations could be used as, effectively, a trade barrier could they not?
The US ones are tougher because they're trying to limit the import of foreign cars and encourage the buying of American cars.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 15:46   #29
Osem
Inactive

Yes that's what I was getting at - a means to protect their own industry. But is the EU's policy deliberately assisting primarily German and French diesel car makers by setting emissions limits lower than they would otherwise be?
Old 30-09-2015, 15:51   #30
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Yes that's what I was getting at - a means to protect their own industry. But is the EU's policy deliberately assisting primarily German and French diesel car makers by setting emissions limits lower than they would otherwise be?
How would we know? Is the US too high or the EU too low? Personally given the EU isn't a stranger to Environmental laws whereas America is less keen I would assume the latter has set them too high. In otherwords I assume the EU is more concerned over the Environment than the American congress.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote