Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 11-02-2015, 08:47   #5506
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
price rises assured now
And that will push a lot of sports fans in to the hands of the box sellers on ebay

I know a person with one that pays £9.00 a month and gets more channels than i do paying VM top package

If my Sky sports goes up to much to pay for this then i will have to look at my options and see what works out best for me.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2015, 13:20   #5507
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
BT are foolish - if they are considering charging for the season 16/17 onwards with roughly the same number of games albeit with CL football too, I can't see people will be willing to shell out extra after subscribing to Sky.

They should have taken at least half the packages to level out the playing field between the two and this would have been the only way for prices to stay the same come the new season. It's going to cost them as although CL is a lot more glitzy, how many PL teams actually take part in it - 4 at the most. Compare this to the 20 actually in the league.

I can see Virgin will lose BT and we will have to pay come next season. BT Sports will still be free for BT BB subscribers (or a nominal fee) which could tempt people across.
It's not that simple though, spanky. BT might well draw in less revenue without the wholesale deal with VM if they force us to pay for it separately because most of us won't.

---------- Post added at 12:20 ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
And that will push a lot of sports fans in to the hands of the box sellers on ebay

I know a person with one that pays £9.00 a month and gets more channels than i do paying VM top package

If my Sky sports goes up to much to pay for this then i will have to look at my options and see what works out best for me.
Yes, watching your fav teams down at the pub with Sky or BT looks like an option.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 14:46   #5508
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It's not that simple though, spanky. BT might well draw in less revenue without the wholesale deal with VM if they force us to pay for it separately because most of us won't
Totally agree. BT's best bet would probably be a rise from £3.50pm to £4.50pm in the amount VM pays it for each XL customer to access BT Sport.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 14:52   #5509
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Totally agree. BT's best bet would probably be a rise from £3.50pm to £4.50pm in the amount VM pays it for each XL customer to access BT Sport.
Somehow l cannot see this scenario continuing Andrew.
Old 11-02-2015, 15:23   #5510
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
I think they should make it so those who want BT sport pay and those that don’t do not. If i don’t watch BT sport why should i be made to pay for it by adding it to the price of the XL pack. When they added it the other year the xl pack increased to cover the addition of BT sport. The way they did it meant you don’t get a choice

Old 11-02-2015, 15:23   #5511
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Somehow l cannot see this scenario continuing Andrew.
Why not? There's no point BT trying to sell Champions League subs at a tenner a month as few people will buy them.
Old 11-02-2015, 15:27   #5512
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Why not? There's no point BT trying to sell Champions League subs at a tenner a month as few people will buy them.
Its called choice. Why force people to pay for it who dont watch or want it. ?

Old 11-02-2015, 15:32   #5513
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I think they should make it so those who want BT sport pay and those that dont do not. If i dont watch BT sport why should i be made to pay for it by adding it to the price of the XL pack. When they added it the other year the xl pack increased to cover the addition of BT sport.
The packs work on the basis that most people don't want all the channels. So no one with the XL pack pays the full price of £15pm for BT Sport. You pool your money for bulk-buying of channels and it's up to you to decide if you want to.

---------- Post added at 14:32 ---------- Previous post was at 14:27 ----------

Quote:
Its called choice. Why force people to pay for it who dont watch or want it. ?
lol, no one is being forced to pay for pay TV. There's a whole range of packs and providers out there and Vodafone is entering the market this year as well. The business model around packs is about the benefit of bulk buying and supplying in scale. You lose the cost benefits when you don't do this. That being said, there are some good options out there now for people who want more control over what they get eg TalkTalk TV, Netflix, Now TV, BT Sport, VuTV, etc. But the whole point of packs is that there will always be something in that pack to make it worthwhile getting. It will never be the whole pack as everyone's tastes are different and you can only ever watch a fraction of what you subscribe to anyway.
Old 11-02-2015, 15:41   #5514
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
The packs work on the basis that most people don't want all the channels. So no one with the XL pack pays the full price of £15pm for BT Sport. You pool your money for bulk-buying of channels and it's up to you to decide if you want to.

---------- Post added at 14:32 ---------- Previous post was at 14:27 ----------

lol, no one is being forced to pay for pay TV.
My point is they added BT sport in to a base pack. They should have added it to the Sports pack. BT will increase there price and the price of the base pack will increase to cover it. If its a sports channel then the cost should be in the pack you take for "sports channels". Increase the cost to those who watch it not those who do not.

I dont see why i should have to pay just because some want a channel cheaper by lumping it in a mainstream pack.

I have already made my mind up that as soon as the super league season ends i will cancel my Sky sports and only take it back on when the super league starts again. Should save me a far bit. BTW thats what choice allows you

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

Quote:

lol, no one is being forced to pay for pay TV.
I was commenting on BT sport being in the xl pack not pay tv as a whole

Old 11-02-2015, 15:57   #5515
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
But we don't actually know how many would buy a standalone package do we? even though many say they would not buy it.
Old 11-02-2015, 16:07   #5516
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
My point is they added BT sport in to a base pack. They should have added it to the Sports pack. BT will increase there price and the price of the base pack will increase to cover it. If its a sports channel then the cost should be in the pack you take for "sports channels". Increase the cost to those who watch it not those who do not.

I dont see why i should have to pay just because some want a channel cheaper by lumping it in a mainstream pack.

I have already made my mind up that as soon as the super league season ends i will cancel my Sky sports and only take it back on when the super league starts again. Should save me a far bit. BTW thats what choice allows you

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

I was commenting on BT sport being in the xl pack not pay tv as a whole
The XL (extra large) pack is the top pack, not the base pack. I guess Virgin know that putting BT Sport in the package will make them more money than if it didn't. That's capitalism and other providers are available.
I think the real issue at the moment and BTW one which we may agree on is that a lot of non-TV items like line rental have been substantially increased to cover the cost of sports rights, so everyone is paying for it. The only way round this is to take broadband from someone like the Post Office or Primus but these companies don't offer a TV platform.

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
But we don't actually know how many would buy a standalone package do we? even though many say they would not buy it.
We don't know but the pay TV companies will as they spend a bomb on research.
Old 11-02-2015, 19:52   #5517
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
price rises assured now
That's true but i'd imagine you'd be able to grab a cracking offer if you're out of contract.
Looking over on the MSE forums Sky seem to be throwing 50% discounts around with gay abandon.

Gotta keep that churn rate down so it doesn't spook the shareholders.
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 22:38   #5518
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
That's true but i'd imagine you'd be able to grab a cracking offer if you're out of contract.
Looking over on the MSE forums Sky seem to be throwing 50% discounts around with gay abandon.

Gotta keep that churn rate down so it doesn't spook the shareholders.

I've had 50% off with SKY for the last 2 years. I cancelled my services on Monday due to my offer coming to an end. I was offered 60% off to stay for a further 12 months! Sky Sports costs me £10 per month. I've got everything including multi room, broadband etc... £59 per month. 3 years half price with them now. As you say 50% codes everywhere. They've got a 50% off offer for Virgin customers who switch to SKY.

It's all a game really. SKY have been really good in terms of retaining my custom. I don't care how or why they make these offers, all I know is I've saved a fortune. Anyone can get these deals.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:41   #5519
Superblade7
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Box Sets with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM VIVID 100Mbps Broadband & M Phone
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I've had 50% off with SKY for the last 2 years. I cancelled my services on Monday due to my offer coming to an end. I was offered 60% off to stay for a further 12 months! Sky Sports costs me £10 per month. I've got everything including multi room, broadband etc... £59 per month. 3 years half price with them now. As you say 50% codes everywhere. They've got a 50% off offer for Virgin customers who switch to SKY.

It's all a game really. SKY have been really good in terms of retaining my custom. I don't care how or why they make these offers, all I know is I've saved a fortune. Anyone can get these deals.
I'm definitely thinking of moving the TV to Sky once my contract is up as these 50% offers seem great like you say Chad. Its quoting £38.25 for full Sky TV pack with Sports and Movies in HD for 12 months which is fantastic considering it's £36.25 just for Sky Sports HD on VM. I'd obviously lose BT Sport by moving but I can't honestly say I'd miss it as I only ever watch the odd match on there.

Defo interesting times ahead for the pay TV sector especially with the bumper pay out for the Premier League rights and more people cord cutting and utilising streaming services.
Superblade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:53   #5520
carbon60
Needs more upload

Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
What bugs me the most is the fact that Premiership Rugby may lose out on their TV fan base due to football now being shown on a Friday night. BT Scupper Sky by nabbing rugby rights on a Friday night, and all of a sudden Sky get rights to a newly created Friday night football service. Odd coincidence? I think not.
I wondered about the effect of Premier League matches on a Friday night too but in respect to the Football League matches that are shown on a Friday night. There's only 10 Friday night Premier League matches so some chance of coexistence.
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote