Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free V6 box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Free V6 box

Old 17-02-2018, 17:18   #301
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Free V6 box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I think we are still not agreeing here, I have a wifi signal on my iPhone of three bars, ok, I have took a dBm reading from the wifi signal app that's on my phone, and sitting close to the HUB3 I get a very good wifi signal of -33dBm, I have then gone upstairs to one of our bedrooms and I still get the three bars showing on my iPhone, but when I use the wifi signal strength on the app that I have on my iPhone, I get a really poor wifi signal strength of -71dBm, and that was my earlier point, you can still have three bars showing on your phone, but that doesn't mean that the signal strength is the same at different locations. Maybe Spiderplant or Ben can clarify this one for us.
I have seen on these forums that you're not happy with the Hub3s wifi, why have you not gone out and purchased a new router to solve your problem?

VM have provided a Wifi service that is adequate for most people but we can't really expect them to give everyone a free router costing £100s can we, it is probably the same for every ISP?
Old 17-02-2018, 17:25   #302
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I have seen on these forums that you're not happy with the Hub3s wifi, why have you not gone out and purchased a new router to solve your problem?

VM have provided a Wifi service that is adequate for most people but we can't really expect them to give everyone a free router costing £100s can we, it is probably the same for every ISP?
I cant really say that I agree with you, if VM provide a device, that they say has good wifi and it doesn't, then why should I have to fork out money to pay for a router that will give a better signal strength, the HUB3 should be doing this! I pay VM a lot of money every month so I expect them to come up with the services that I pay for.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 17:29   #303
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I cant really say that I agree with you, if VM provide a device, that they say has good wifi and it doesn't, then why should I have to fork out money to pay for a router that will give a better signal strength, the HUB3 should be doing this! I pay VM a lot of money every month so I expect them to come up with the services that I pay for.
But it does give good WiFi. My phone and two V6 boxes work no problem through WiFi. I appreciate that you don't think it has good WiFi because of your problems but is that down to your setup/type of house-walls/WiFi congestion with your neighbours.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 17:30   #304
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
No issues in my house so it provides 'good wifi' for me, so not everyone has issues with it, a separate router will always be the better option, you should seriously consider this as it will likely be the same with every ISP provided kit.
Old 17-02-2018, 20:46   #305
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I think we are still not agreeing here, I have a wifi signal on my iPhone of three bars, ok, I have took a dBm reading from the wifi signal app that's on my phone, and sitting close to the HUB3 I get a very good wifi signal of -33dBm, I have then gone upstairs to one of our bedrooms and I still get the three bars showing on my iPhone, but when I use the wifi signal strength on the app that I have on my iPhone, I get a really poor wifi signal strength of -71dBm, and that was my earlier point, you can still have three bars showing on your phone, but that doesn't mean that the signal strength is the same at different locations. Maybe Spiderplant or Ben can clarify this one for us.
I don't know how the iPhone bars are calibrated, but -71dBm isn't a poor signal. It's about average. An iPhone connected to an SH3 at -71dBm will typically get a connection speed in the 150 to 200Mbps range. If you don't get those speeds, you've got a WiFi interference problem.

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan247 View Post
Is anyone hear able to confirm the V HD boxes are to be obselete/disconnected over the coming months and that keeping the V HD is not an option?
The V-HD will be phased out in the fairly near future, but not two months. As you're getting a manned installed, I suggest you explain to the installer that you want to keep the V-HD for now. I can't see him arguing.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 09:24   #306
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I don't know how the iPhone bars are calibrated, but -71dBm isn't a poor signal. It's about average. An iPhone connected to an SH3 at -71dBm will typically get a connection speed in the 150 to 200Mbps range. If you don't get those speeds, you've got a WiFi interference problem.

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

The V-HD will be phased out in the fairly near future, but not two months. As you're getting a manned installed, I suggest you explain to the installer that you want to keep the V-HD for now. I can't see him arguing.
I liked the VHD box, quick, uncomplicated and silent. Some customers just want to watch TV and aren't interested in apps, steaming etc. If VM provided a decent catch up service instead of running it down over the last few years, recording becomes irrelevant.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 10:35   #307
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The V box platform is also around 20 years old and isn't made anymore.

All current TV platforms include apps, streaming etc, so it would be more work to take them out than it is to leave them in.

Same as it's pretty impossible these days to buy a non Smart TV.

No one forces you to use the features you don't want.
Old 18-02-2018, 12:23   #308
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Re: Free V6 box TiVo to hub?

Just read that you can connect your TiVo box to the hub and watch recordings from it via the V6. can't copy over the text .it was an virgins help and support page I guess I am misreading it as I have not seen anything about it here
Old 18-02-2018, 12:39   #309
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Just read that you can connect your TiVo box to the hub and watch recordings from it via the V6. can't copy over the text .it was an virgins help and support page I guess I am misreading it as I have not seen anything about it here
You've been able to do it for years I believe TiVo to TiVo.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 12:43   #310
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
You've been able to do it for years I believe TiVo to TiVo.
Or TiVo scart to video sender to extra tv, the cheaper option !
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 12:53   #311
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
The TiVo needs to be active and paid for on your account as well as connected both to the cable co-ax and Superhub.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 21:18   #312
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Quick question if i may

We have 2 main V6 boxes in our house and also an old TIVO in our conservatory.

We don't pay anything for the TIVO (we used to have a V box in there and when we upgraded to V6's they put in one of our old TIVOs to replace the V box)

Would we be able now to swap the TIVO for a V6 for free?

Thanks
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 21:43   #313
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
Quick question if i may

We have 2 main V6 boxes in our house and also an old TIVO in our conservatory.

We don't pay anything for the TIVO (we used to have a V box in there and when we upgraded to V6's they put in one of our old TIVOs to replace the V box)

Would we be able now to swap the TIVO for a V6 for free?

Thanks
No. The free V6 does not apply if you already have a V6.
Old 18-02-2018, 21:58   #314
figgyburn
Helter Skelter

Services: vm bbl.tvxl
figgyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to behold

I have two vhd boxes at the moment.i pay extra for the second box.i am very happy with them and have no desire to change them.if as suggested virgin phase them out, will they give me two v6 boxes for free to replace the vhd boxes.
figgyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 22:42   #315
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by figgyburn View Post
I have two vhd boxes at the moment.i pay extra for the second box.i am very happy with them and have no desire to change them.if as suggested virgin phase them out, will they give me two v6 boxes for free to replace the vhd boxes.
Currently, you will be invited to replace one with a V6, assuming you have Virgin Media broadband.
When the VHD does become obsolete, I expect you would be offered the suitable replacement at that time.