Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 20-10-2019, 11:30   #1456
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: Brexit Development(s) Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I love how carefully crafted “his” letter is. Hope the Civil Servants and lawyers got overtime for pulling it together on a Saturday.
I believe (could be wrong) that the letter is basically a 'copy' of the lawful statute passed . . . attempting to rip it apart means attacking the very thing they themselves passed

edit: aah maybe read your post wrongly, apologies if so . .
Advertisement
Old 20-10-2019, 11:36   #1457
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
I believe (could be wrong) that the letter is basically a 'copy' of the lawful statute passed . . . attempting to rip it apart means attacking the very thing they themselves passed

edit: aah maybe read your post wrongly, apologies if so . .
I could have been clearer. His side letter where he sort of says he doesn’t want an extension without actually saying it.
Old 20-10-2019, 11:42   #1458
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
I could have been clearer. His side letter where he sort of says he doesn’t want an extension without actually saying it.
Got ya

I reckon that letter will have been put together weeks ago
Old 20-10-2019, 11:48   #1459
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I imagine the phone calls will have made his meaning quite clear.
Old 20-10-2019, 11:52   #1460
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

It doesn't matter I don't think. We're distracted by the noise. In the end he has abided by the Benn bill and a request has been sent. Legally it seems not to matter at all that he didn't sign it or sent another letter saying he thinks it's a bad idea, he didn't even say don't grant us one.
Old 20-10-2019, 11:56   #1461
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It doesn't matter I don't think. We're distracted by the noise. In the end he has abided by the Benn bill and a request has been sent. Legally it seems not to matter at all that he didn't sign it or sent another letter saying he thinks it's a bad idea, he didn't even say don't grant us one.
Indeed. It’s good optics for Boris going into a General Election.
Old 20-10-2019, 12:03   #1462
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I suspect that the courts will get him. He has committed to the Scottish court to send the letter.

I’ve seen past judgements where the courts go to Hansard to assess what Parliament intended when they passed the Benn Act. There can be little doubt that Parliament intended him to sign the letter and that didn’t need spelling out in the Act particularly as Boris’s trick has the effect of negating what Parliament intended.

Also there is no appeal in criminal cases to the ECJ except on grounds of failure to process the case properly.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 20-10-2019, 12:12   #1463
jfman
Architect of Ideas

It hasn’t negated what Parliament intended. The EU have a valid extension request.

What they aren’t doing is making a decision yet. This is perhaps understandable as it allows Johnson the chance to keep pressure on Parliament to back his deal tomorrow or Tuesday. If they haven’t done so/refuse to do so the EU will grant the extension later this week.
Old 20-10-2019, 12:22   #1464
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Wrong, they include forecasts of additional trade we may get as a result of Brexit. But we've done this argument to death before and I accept that you believe all civil servants and advisers to the UK Government, CBI, Chambers of Commerce and Conservative Party have secretly conspired together.
What I am saying is that there are far too many unmeasurables in assessing how business will react to their new freedoms. The forecasts are very speculative, formed by well meaning people one supposes, who are tasked with a challenge that is like pinning a jelly to the wall. There are far too many imponderables to put accurate figures to this.

It is comparatively straight forward to measure what we will lose, but assessing what we will gain is a forecaster's nightmare.
Old 20-10-2019, 12:36   #1465
jfman
Architect of Ideas

If anything at all.
Old 20-10-2019, 12:51   #1466
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I suspect that the courts will get him. He has committed to the Scottish court to send the letter.

I’ve seen past judgements where the courts go to Hansard to assess what Parliament intended when they passed the Benn Act. There can be little doubt that Parliament intended him to sign the letter and that didn’t need spelling out in the Act particularly as Boris’s trick has the effect of negating what Parliament intended.

Also there is no appeal in criminal cases to the ECJ except on grounds of failure to process the case properly.
I think he has abided by the request though and it seems the EU think they've got it too. All they're saying is 'we've received the request'. No one cares if it's signed or not because that's not a thing.
Old 20-10-2019, 15:49   #1467
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

A copy of the 2nd letter has been leaked online...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9056CE43-FEC2-4195-8AAC-17B7D812AD09.jpeg (407.6 KB, 24 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 20-10-2019, 16:00   #1468
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Haha.

Entertainingly the "photocopy" isn't a copy of the schedule on the act at all. It's had formatting changes so someone still typed it out for Boris.
Old 20-10-2019, 17:17   #1469
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
If anything at all.
I don't see how agreeing new trade deals with countries all around the world would not benefit us. How will it make us poorer?
Old 20-10-2019, 18:06   #1470
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't see how agreeing new trade deals with countries all around the world would not benefit us. How will it make us poorer?
If they're not as good as the ones in place already, that we got by being part of the EU?

Who has more bargaining power - a very large chain of supermarkets, or a small local group of local shops?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Closed Thread