Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mesh Wifi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

I need a decent 4G modem/router with external aerial

Old 24-08-2020, 17:57   #1
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
I need a decent 4G modem/router with external aerial

So, after the requirements of lockdown basically killed the battery of my 3 year old iPhone SE (thanks to my keeping it permanently plugged into the mains and tethered to my Mac for Zoom etc for 5 months), I am in the market for a decent 4G modem/router that must be able to attach to an external aerial to improve my 4G reception. I'm wondering if anyone's ever dipped in to this and has any advice.

At the moment I am using the BT 4G mini hub they send you when you have a problem with your ADSL and it delivers a surprisingly good (for our location) of around 12mbit down, 4mbit up, providing I blu-tack it to precisely the right spot on our living room window. This is not an ideal long term solution.

After we had a landline fault, BT left the mini hub running for a couple of weeks longer than strictly necessary but they have now advised me it will cut off within the next few days. I've already ordered a second SIM on my EE mobile account with unlimited everything ... when it arrives I will put it in the BT mini hub until I can set up something permanent. After that, our ADSL will be used for our Echo devices, wifi calling on our mobile phones, and casual browsing; the 4G will be used to run the smart TV and any computer requiring fast upload (i.e me and my eldest, who both have college lectures online this coming term).

So something that sits on a surface in the house, with a decent wifi signal, the all-important external 4G antenna connection, and also I suppose any wisdom you have on a practical antenna solution. What's the trade off between cable length and antenna height, that sort of thing.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2020, 19:43   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: I need a decent 4G modem/router with external aerial

Is this any good.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-M...s%2C168&sr=8-6
Old 24-08-2020, 23:08   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Nope, as it doesn’t support connection to an external 4G antenna ... that’s the primary reason for buying a new router. The BT Mini hub is a perfectly decent piece of kit otherwise, very similar to the unit in your link.
Old 24-08-2020, 23:29   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Nope, as it doesn’t support connection to an external 4G antenna ... that’s the primary reason for buying a new router. The BT Mini hub is a perfectly decent piece of kit otherwise, very similar to the unit in your link.
This may do it. Trial and error which antenna to change to the outside one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-MR6400-U...RGQK26HPVA708Z
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 00:12   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Despite the product description, in the user questions it suggests those who have tried to detach the antennae have had no luck ... most people also seem to suspect they’re actually Wi-fi aerials as well, and not 4g receivers.

I can see plenty of routers on the market that absolutely do have a socket for an external aerial, my question is more around recommendations and tips/tricks based on experience - I’m aware it can be tricky to get a good signal in a poor area, that at long range, obstacles miles away can affect reception profoundly and that the highest point on the house is not necessarily the best, if it results in a very long aerial cable back to the router. I really just want to be as fore-armed as possible before I part with my cash.
Old 27-08-2020, 14:23   #6
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Have a look here, a good selection.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:26   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

So I went for the Huawei B818, as it has good reviews, and with a fair wind and decent provision by the carrier can deliver stupidly fast 4G.

We are in a very marginal signal area so placement is key. I’m probably going to put up an external antenna, but for the time being it is sitting next to an upstairs window.

Our BT ADSL gives us 4 down, 0.5 up.
The BT 4G mini hub, stuck to a downstairs window, gives 15 down, 4 up.
The Huawei, on EE 4G and sitting next to an upstairs window has just delivered this:

The WiFi coverage from the B818 is absolutely superb as well. I got that Speedtest on an iPad several rooms away from the router.

Needless to say I’m a very happy bunny right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7ADB0242-BC63-4C2F-B1CF-E15B48B4ED46.jpeg (114.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-09-2020, 11:26   #8
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

With that speed compared to what you had I should think so!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote