Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best mid range router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Best mid range router

Old 24-05-2019, 22:24   #16
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Best mid range router

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcclanuk View Post
Hi guys,

After doing some reading and speaking to others, it seems the mesh system may be the way to go indeed. Reading about the throughput etc, I guess real world it would be good to have at least 300mb+ actual throughput.

Also, I think I might need 3 nodes. (is it possible to buy 2 and then add a third one if needed?)

Yes
Based on this, what is the best mesh system to get which is around £200 (or less of course) - for all 3 nodes that is.

Thanks!
You could start with the twin pack and then go this route for the third later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Great advice. I too have the AC68U: 3 of them in a Mesh config with ethernet backhaul. I bought them all on eBay second hand. They go for around £70 to £80:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...ion=3000&rt=nc

So the twin pack is great value.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-05-2019, 08:33   #17
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
You could start with the twin pack and then go this route for the third later.
Thank you! some final questions:

1) if I bought the twin pack, what area of the house would it cover?
2) how far can the nodes be away from each other to be connected wirelessly?

It's a 5 bed 5 bath house. If I had to guess it would be about 180 SQM for each floor (x2). The 2 nodes would be about 15m away from each other (straight line distance).

If I did need 3 nodes I'm thinking cost would be £180 (twin) + possibly £140ish for another single node which would be £320 ... A little steep! (Although if I had to get a third node I would just get 2 twin packs!)
dcclanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 10:41   #18
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads

So apart from the 2 questions above (assuming that I will be be ok), I've narrowed it down to the ac68u (2 devices) and Netgear Orbi RBK23 (3 devices).

Any preference as to which will be better for me? Reading online I see that the Orbi has a dedicated channel to transmit between the nodes.
Old 25-05-2019, 16:55   #19
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RTAC68U/

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...-asus-rt-ac68u
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 17:32   #20
dcclanuk
Inactive

Ty! Time to decide!
Old 13-06-2019, 23:08   #21
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Well i have the Asus RT AC 86 U and its great.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 19:24   #22
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

GM if you had a straight choice between a 68U or the 86U which would you choose (assuming no cost difference). ?
daveeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 23:24   #23
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Definitely the 86u. Just had a look on Amazon and they are the same price so if I had to make the decision now I would definitely get the 86u. Apart from the improved wifi, the wan to lan throughout is markedly better at 940mbits vs 740mbits on the 68u and I don't think those speeds are as far off as some people may think. We have got 500mbits now and I sure we'll see 1gbit by the end of next year when they start the docsis 3.1 rollout. Other than that feature wise they are pretty much the same. Tbh even if the 86u was £40 more I would still go for it for the reason I stated above plus the way things are going with more and more devices becoming wifi compatible, wanting internet access (need a router that can intelligently handle the traffic and requests) and can process traffic at greater speed. With 5g on the way I think wireless devices/clients are very quickly going to catch up with the speed routers can offer.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...outer-reviewed
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 13:42   #24
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Definitely the 86u. Just had a look on Amazon and they are the same price so if I had to make the decision now I would definitely get the 86u. Apart from the improved wifi, the wan to lan throughout is markedly better at 940mbits vs 740mbits on the 68u and I don't think those speeds are as far off as some people may think. We have got 500mbits now and I sure we'll see 1gbit by the end of next year when they start the docsis 3.1 rollout. Other than that feature wise they are pretty much the same. Tbh even if the 86u was £40 more I would still go for it for the reason I stated above plus the way things are going with more and more devices becoming wifi compatible, wanting internet access (need a router that can intelligently handle the traffic and requests) and can process traffic at greater speed. With 5g on the way I think wireless devices/clients are very quickly going to catch up with the speed routers can offer.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...outer-reviewed

Thanks GM, you've confirmed what my research told me. Yesterday the 86U was £3 cheaper as well !
daveeb is online now   Reply With Quote