Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 21:02   #1066
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Dallas Buyers Club available from today on Netflix UK.
Excellent MM.
Old 02-12-2014, 22:59   #1067
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

The first season of The Following and Ray Donovan have been added to Amazon Instant Video. The first 4 episodes of season 3 of Ripper Street are also available to watch, with new episodes added every Friday. I use Netflix and Amazon Instant and for me the Amazon content is so much better. Only £5.99 per month. If you've never tried it you should seriously try their free months trial.
Old 02-12-2014, 23:10   #1068
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
The first season of The Following and Ray Donovan have been added to Amazon Instant Video. The first 4 episodes of season 3 of Ripper Street are also available to watch, with new episodes added every Friday. I use Netflix and Amazon Instant and for me the Amazon content is so much better. Only £5.99 per month. If you've never tried it you should seriously try their free months trial.
It is certainly improving but for me Netflix is better i do however use both now due to my firetv box showing amazon instant video recommendations, searches etc i thought what the hell might aswell give it a go lol.
So far so good will probably subscribe for a few months.
Old 02-12-2014, 23:28   #1069
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
The first season of The Following and Ray Donovan have been added to Amazon Instant Video. l.

They're also available on Netflix if you use a smart DNS service.

For me, Netflix + Smart DNS service massively beets Amazon. But having them both covers more bases.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:34   #1070
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

Finally gave into temptation and got a Fire TV box and it really is a lovely little unit.

Upsides: iPlayer loads almost instantaneously and is the new adaptive bandwidth version, so no stuttering and buffering plus not having to select the HD option every time. Netflix loads and is responsive in under ten seconds compared to the three minutes of three load indicators, blank screens, slow-loading images and initial sluggishness of the TiVo version. Still light on other apps but Vimeo is a good addition and Viewster has improved lately. Picture is crisper than the TiVo too.

Downside: the refresh rate is locked to either 50Hz or 60Hz across the whole device. That means there currently isn't the option for smooth 24fps movies like the TiVo offers or to show 60Hz US / 50Hz UK TV shows in their native rates. Hopefully they can fix that but as it's an Android system limitation that isn't exactly straightforward to do.

Think Virgin Media need to up their game if they're going to retain people for more than broadband.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:24   #1071
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Think Virgin Media need to up their game if they're going to retain people for more than broadband.
I have to agree. Virgin Media seem to have taken their corporate eye off the ball recently on the TV side of things. Not so long ago it was the best of the bunch. It's no longer such an easy choice. I believe Virgin Media have the technology but have lost the will to compete. I hope I'm proved wrong in the new year and a wealth of innovations appear on my TiVo.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:59   #1072
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Finally gave into temptation and got a Fire TV box and it really is a lovely little unit.

Upsides: iPlayer loads almost instantaneously and is the new adaptive bandwidth version, so no stuttering and buffering plus not having to select the HD option every time. Netflix loads and is responsive in under ten seconds compared to the three minutes of three load indicators, blank screens, slow-loading images and initial sluggishness of the TiVo version. Still light on other apps but Vimeo is a good addition and Viewster has improved lately. Picture is crisper than the TiVo too.

Downside: the refresh rate is locked to either 50Hz or 60Hz across the whole device. That means there currently isn't the option for smooth 24fps movies like the TiVo offers or to show 60Hz US / 50Hz UK TV shows in their native rates. Hopefully they can fix that but as it's an Android system limitation that isn't exactly straightforward to do.

It's a amazing box look around on google there are ways you can sideload android apps and XBMC too.
I highly recommend Frequency from the firetv app store it is basically all your news sources in one app has videos from BBC,SKY,RT etc amongst others, also has a lot of entertaining and relaxing videos too.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:47   #1073
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
They won't though mate vm are starting to get greedy just lately i think, personally i'm glad i left them i just heard a lot of people are being hit with a 11% price hike i just use netflix, and my USA services now.
Well VM do have to cover their costs. All those additional linear channels don't come cheap, and you have to ask yourself whether the channel packages are good value for money. So much junk and so few good channels worth having!

As discussed earlier, I think linear channels will not last, because streaming is going to be a cheaper option. We could get such a better choice with at less cost if we had:

A wholesale deal with Netflix and Amazon
Options to subscribe to HBO and other providers as they become available
Further options to get other providers on a PPV basis
A better 'on demand' choice with quality shows
Film and Sports channels as now
Freeview channels
Virgin Movies

This might well do the trick for a lot of people, providing better programmes at less cost. Although it would mean the loss of Sky basics and the Fox channel, the number of watchable programmes from there in a week you can count on one hand!
Old 03-12-2014, 13:09   #1074
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Wouldn't a Youview box already nearly box that off ?

Youview already offers PVR functionality , Freeview channels , Sky Store (PPV) , Netflix , Now TV Movies , all the terrestrial players (including new iPlayer) , search across linear and all On Demand players.
Old 03-12-2014, 13:45   #1075
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

Youview already offers PVR functionality , Freeview channels , Sky Store (PPV) , Netflix , Now TV Movies , all the terrestrial players (including new iPlayer) , search across linear and all On Demand players.
Well, it's certainly getting there, MM, and I think that public demand will do the rest.

There will always be diehards who can't change or think differently, but my guess is that our viewing habits will be changed beyond recognition within a decade, let alone by 2030.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:05   #1076
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytree View Post
Challenging question regarding the 6 months free deal with Virgin.

I already had the 1 month free Netflix while Virgin messed about sending me the email with the 6 month code on it.
I never got the email but the code they told me over the phone I then added to my account and it added a credit of £35.94.
I had activated option 2 out of the 3 choices as that is the cheapest with HD at £6.99 a month.
So based on that the £35.94 added by applying the Virgin code will only last me 5 months if I remain on the HD option.

Is this correct?
Is this how it will work or is it a true 6 months so I can stay on the option I have chosen to get HD and get my 6 months I thought I was getting.
Otherwise to get 6 months I have to change my option down to option 1 and get the SD only package?

Anyone know please?
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
It's a money credit so it will not last 6 months at your charge rate of £6.99 per month.
I thought this would be the case, but I got my code today so just entered it.

My billing date was next due on 17/12/14, and am on the £6.99 package.

My account now says

Now to me, that isn't a money credit and will roll on for 6 months and then go back to charging me at the end of the 6th month.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:55   #1077
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
I thought this would be the case, but I got my code today so just entered it.

My billing date was next due on 17/12/14, and am on the £6.99 package.

My account now says

Now to me, that isn't a money credit and will roll on for 6 months and then go back to charging me at the end of the 6th month.
That's excellent news and a change from the previous method which was a monetary credit.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:01   #1078
Bobby Dazzler
Inactive

Bobby Dazzler is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Im thinking of ditching TiVo in favour of one of these youview boxes now that they've added Netflix, does anyone know if you can change the DNS settings on the box to access USA Netflix?
Old 06-12-2014, 15:13   #1079
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler View Post
Im thinking of ditching TiVo in favour of one of these youview boxes now that they've added Netflix, does anyone know if you can change the DNS settings on the box to access USA Netflix?
No you can't sadly.
Old 06-12-2014, 15:22   #1080
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
No you can't sadly.
Yes you can
Closed Thread