Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TIVO Update = Constant Crashes/Restarts

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TIVO Update = Constant Crashes/Restarts

Old 22-11-2011, 20:19   #46
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: TIVO Update = Constant Crashes/Restarts

Mine is on the 13th reboot and about to go out of the window!
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-11-2011, 22:37   #47
Blokie
Inactive

Services: 1Tb TiVo XL + SS, 50Mb BB, Phone
Blokie is an unknown quantity at this point

Switching it off for about 45 minutes has made no difference what-so-ever. Have had 2 reboots less than 20 minutes apart since I switched it back on.

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

Rebooting now at between 3 and 9 minute intervals.

I just phoned faults and booked an engineer visit for Thursday afternoon. The guy I spoke to said that it was not a known issue, as if it was widespread they'd have a Remedy ticket open against it, and they haven't.
Blokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 15:41   #48
scaseman
Inactive

scaseman is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not having crashing or rebooting problems. (Well not at the moment.) But I have lost catchup tv and on demand. Both of which are still working on my SA Box so its not a line fault. VM have referrred the fault to their second line. Everything else on the Tivo seems fine. I have tried unplugging for 30 minutes but to no avail.
scaseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 15:58   #49
dja1971
Inactive

dja1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have also been suffering constant crash/reboots since the update the night before last. (My TiVo box had been working fine for the previous nine months!)

Engineer came round today - and confirmed that he has been dealing with similar cases since the update started.

Couldn't fix it - something to do with one of the ports - so will need to replace with a new box. I asked him to hold off from replacing the box there and then as I have over 90% full of programmes!

Is there any way I can mirror the drive or get some of the content off there? (Doubt dubbing the programmes I really don't want to lose onto another hard drive recorder is going to work as the TiVo will keep on crashing whilst I try to play out the content...)

Thanks
dja1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 16:13   #50
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately even if you could take content off the box using the TiVo Desktop/Buddy app (you can't as the US version doesn't work on these UK boxes) if you were suffering constant reboots you'd probably end up finding the transfers would keep dropping out before finishing anyway.

I suppose you could remove the harddrive and clone it but that breaks the terms and conditions of your agreement with Virgin Media.

Sorry!
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 18:19   #51
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Seems some in the US with TIVO are suffering spontaneous reboots

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=477833
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 20:37   #52
semps
Inactive

semps is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like this is heat related. I have an old laptop cooler thing hat I have popped underneath my TiVo. Not had a restart since! (it was restarting every 5-10 mins before) I will be calling out an engineer as TiVo was fine until the update, but at least it should allow me to watch my content on the drive.

As an aside has this update enable streaming from TiVo to TiVo?
semps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 09:11   #53
peterr_ibg
Inactive

peterr_ibg is an unknown quantity at this point

My update happened last night and now constantly rebooting

Reboots happen whilst trying to watch catchup, recorded programmes and navigating menus

Engineer booked for Saturday, but 88% full so not happy to be losing all these recordings.

Was all working fine until this morning after update. Not heat related as well ventilated in cool room ( and was working ok before update)
peterr_ibg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 12:10   #54
Blokie
Inactive

Services: 1Tb TiVo XL + SS, 50Mb BB, Phone
Blokie is an unknown quantity at this point

My engineer is due in the next 4 hours, but having had a bit of a play around to characterise the issue, I think it is signal related, as if I have it on BBC1 SD, Sky Sports SD, ESPN America SD it lasts 3 - 10 minutes before rebooting, but if I leave it on BBC1 HD it can last up to 2+ hours until rebooting.....
Blokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 12:43   #55
Doz007
cf.geek

Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

I noticed last night after some trouble shooting that when the box restarts if I leave it on the main menu I can watch whatever is in the mini tv no problem. As soon as I try to go full screen or navigate the menus it lasts less than a minute.

Is everybody that's getting the constant reboots the owner of a 1TB TiVo?
Old 24-11-2011, 13:06   #56
peterr_ibg
Inactive

peterr_ibg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
I noticed last night after some trouble shooting that when the box restarts if I leave it on the main menu I can watch whatever is in the mini tv no problem. As soon as I try to go full screen or navigate the menus it lasts less than a minute.

Is everybody that's getting the constant reboots the owner of a 1TB TiVo?

Yup, mine is 1TB Tivo
peterr_ibg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 13:36   #57
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Had all three of mine updated last night, There all 1tb units and touch wood no reboots.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 17:04   #58
Doz007
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Had all three of mine updated last night, There all 1tb units and touch wood no reboots.
Thanks for that Sirius,

I guess the question now is, are any 500gb owners effected by this issue?
Old 24-11-2011, 17:08   #59
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Yes l had my two updated last night and so far no problems at all.
Old 24-11-2011, 17:20   #60
mypalpop
Inactive

mypalpop is on a distinguished roadmypalpop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
Thanks for that Sirius,

I guess the question now is, are any 500gb owners effected by this issue?
Not here. I was having restarts previous to the update, but improving ventilation sorted it out.

I had also huge problems with sound drop-outs (on an approximately hourly basis) since I was installed in May. 15.2 has stopped that problem completely and my viewing experience his improved immeasurably!

I don't mean to gloat though - there's nothing worse than when you think all of your issues are going to be solved only for them to be made even worse!
mypalpop is offline   Reply With Quote