Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TIVO Update = Constant Crashes/Restarts

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TIVO Update = Constant Crashes/Restarts

Old 19-11-2011, 17:20   #31
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: TIVO Update = Constant Crashes/Restarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkesghost View Post
Wouldn't touch TiVo with a barge pole just now. In a year maybe but too many complaints and problems and omissions at this time. Pretty sure it will improve but really not at present.
Remember there is always going to be a degree of complaints about anything new and the Tivo is no different in that respect but l can assure you apart from one or two bugs here and there that the Tivo is light years ahead of the V+ on nearly every count.
Old 19-11-2011, 17:38   #32
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkesghost View Post
Wouldn't touch TiVo with a barge pole just now. In a year maybe but too many complaints and problems and omissions at this time. Pretty sure it will improve but really not at present.
I am of the same mind, I have watched the problems with some of the Freeview HD boxes over the last two years and they are still having problems ,so it follows that TiVo was bound to have teething problems. I am sure that these will be corrected over time.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 18:35   #33
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

New software 15.2 is a large step in the right direction, very happy with Tivo now.
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 19:17   #34
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Do Peanut and Peanut plus app on iTunes work with VM TIVO ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 19:28   #35
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Do Peanut and Peanut plus app on iTunes work with VM TIVO ?
Yes they do, and I'm not stalking you. But the TiVo Buddy app is far superior, allegedly.

regards

John
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 19:31   #36
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
Yes they do, and I'm not stalking you. But the TiVo Buddy app is far superior, allegedly.

regards

John
I'm asking these questions as it will be me helping the parents They have an iPod touch so hopefully they can use the TIVO buddy app on that.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 21:30   #37
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era
What I'd like to see added is the yellow button to delete recordings, it's quicker that way like on V+ HD.

Fav channels button.
borrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 21:45   #38
pythagoras
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrissey View Post
What I'd like to see added is the yellow button to delete recordings, it's quicker that way like on V+ HD.

Fav channels button.
You can press the clear button (bottom left of the remote) to one button delete. This will also one button delete a folder.

Regards

John

Also if you press the blue button in mini guide or full guide you can select favourite channels.
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 21:53   #39
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by borrissey View Post

Fav channels button.
You can press the clear button (bottom left of the remote) to one button delete. This will also one button delete a folder.

Regards

John

Also if you press the blue button in mini guide or full guide you can select favourite channels.
Ok cool thanks that's a lot quicker!! Cheers.

I still miss the fav button on the remote..
borrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 21:37   #40
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Have to say I am NOT impressed with it. 5 x storage ( never filled the V+)
Ah, you're not recording enough HD content, probably.

Also bear in mind, if you have four or five people using the same TiVo, all that extra storage is VERY handy.

Quote:
Catchup - never use it suggestions - RUBBISH ( all I have had so far is Eastenders - no idea why not a show we ever watch or for that the itv c4 or 5 versions
Really? I found the Suggestions feature shockingly accurate. It records shows I already have and love, so although I often delete them for that reason at least it has an idea how to get taste down to an algorithm. I made sure to all the stuff I don't like, i.e. anything that is a soap, a reality show, or yet another bloody show about cooking and then many of my favourite shows.

Catchup is very useful, to me. Not so much from the reverse EPG, but using iPlayer or search to get to the content I want often works out quicker/easier than doing the same on a PC.

Quote:
Simple tasks now complicated ( Stop recorded show partway & play later having watched a live show in the mean time).
You're kidding, right? It's simply a case of going back to the program in question and pressing Play on it. If you'd watched it before and stopped it (i.e. by pressing TV to go back to broadcast or whatever you're recording) it'll automatically resume from the point it was stopped.

Side note: press play on a folder and it'll playlist everything in that folder, starting with the earliest item first. Use channel up/down to navigate through the playlist.

Quote:
Set recording UGH . want to record a show on ONE Channel and only once. Set to new show only & about 4 came up on in the morning at the time we wanted and again in the early hours of the morning on three different channels.
One show on one channel only once? Simple. In the EPG just press record button and choose "Record this showing". It'll add it to the scheduler and record the program without padding, without repeating. A cinch.

Quote:
" Emperors new clothes comes to mind "
It just sounds like you need to spend a little more time getting used to the user interface and finding the quickest ways to do things. I spent a weekend learning mine and I knew it pretty well, and recently I've found out lots of other tricks that speed up regular tasks.

---

As regards the 1TB TiVo boxes getting caught in reboot loops and 500GB having a tendency to wipe everything, that could be pretty bad. Have to wait and see on that front.
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 19:40   #41
Blokie
Inactive

Services: 1Tb TiVo XL + SS, 50Mb BB, Phone
Blokie is an unknown quantity at this point

I got the 15.2 update on my 1Tb TiVo overnight and it's spontaneously rebooted itself twice in less than an hour since I turned the TV on when I got home from work :-(

Is there any way to determine the current uptime on the box?

---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blokie View Post
I got the 15.2 update on my 1Tb TiVo overnight and it's spontaneously rebooted itself twice in less than an hour since I turned the TV on when I got home from work :-(

Is there any way to determine the current uptime on the box?
To answer my own question...

Look for "Time Since OOB Tune Start" in Diagnostics which will give you the seconds since last restart.
Blokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 19:44   #42
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

I've got the same issue.

I'm on about the 6th reboot as I type this......
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 19:52   #43
Blokie
Inactive

Services: 1Tb TiVo XL + SS, 50Mb BB, Phone
Blokie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
I've got the same issue.

I'm on about the 6th reboot as I type this......
..and mine's just gone again :-( Longest it's lasted so far is just over an hour, with the shortest less than 20 minutes.

Am going to unplug it for 30 minutes or so and see if that helps....
Blokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 19:54   #44
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

I've just had 3 reboots whilst I'm trying to watch football. It only kicked off 8 mins ago!!!!
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 19:55   #45
youngqb
Inactive

youngqb is an unknown quantity at this point

rebooted maybe half a dozen times since I came in from work - in the one time I could navigate thru to settings I've deffo been update to 15.2

off at the wall for half hour
youngqb is offline   Reply With Quote