Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TIVO Update = Constant Crashes/Restarts

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TIVO Update = Constant Crashes/Restarts

Old 18-11-2011, 11:50   #16
jbrown_gtfc
Inactive

jbrown_gtfc is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: TIVO Update = Constant Crashes/Restarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincsGuy2005 View Post
What was his solution to the constant crashing problem?

My box is currently being formatted. If that fails, I'll get a replacement box. Either way I've lost 500Gb of recordings (mainly films for the children)

But who knows; even if I get a new box, it might all happen again when it tries to apply the update.

EDIT: The box seems fine after the reformat but how do I know if the update has been applied? Is there something new to look for in the menus for example?
jbrown_gtfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-11-2011, 12:50   #17
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

Home > Help & Settings > System Info > System Info > Software Version

That will tell you if its 15.1 or 15.2
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 13:08   #18
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Had 15.2 installed on my 1TB Tivo (Nottingham), been running fine and distinctly faster.
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 13:32   #19
jbrown_gtfc
Inactive

jbrown_gtfc is an unknown quantity at this point

Update... my reformated box started to reboot itself again.

I now have a new box and have heard from the technician that Virgin can now flash a fix for this problem from their end so I've lost all my recordings for nothing.
jbrown_gtfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 13:44   #20
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Strange that i have one of the network managers in the office here who has just asked one of his engineers and they know nothing of this fault at all ????

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 15:06   #21
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Thumbs down Re: TIVO Update = Constant Crashes/Restarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
If you see no benefit to 5x the storage, quick access to catchup, suggestions and the ability to record three shows at once (and soon share those recordings) then yeah.
Have to say I am NOT impressed with it. 5 x storage ( never filled the V+)
Catchup - never use it suggestions - RUBBISH ( all I have had so far is Eastenders - no idea why not a show we ever watch or for that the itv c4 or 5 versions
3 shows at once OK.

Simple tasks now complicated ( Stop recorded show partway & play later having watched a live show in the mean time). Set recording UGH . want to record a show on ONE Channel and only once. Set to new show only & about 4 came up on in the morning at the time we wanted and again in the early hours of the morning on three different channels.
The only thing stopping it going back is the saving on overall cost.
" Emperors new clothes comes to mind "
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 15:22   #22
LincsGuy2005
Inactive

LincsGuy2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_gtfc View Post
... heard from the technician that Virgin can now flash a fix for this problem from their end so I've lost all my recordings for nothing.
I hope his colleague who is on the way to me now knows that as well!
LincsGuy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 15:25   #23
gadge
Inactive

Services: Sky+ Hd Multiroom,Unlimited Broadband,Unlimited Phone,WD Tv
gadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Catchup - never use it suggestions - RUBBISH ( all I have had so far is Eastenders - no idea why not a show we ever watch or for that the itv c4 or 5 versions
3 shows at once OK.

Simple tasks now complicated ( Stop recorded show partway & play later having watched a live show in the mean time). Set recording UGH . want to record a show on ONE Channel and only once. Set to new show only & about 4 came up on in the morning at the time we wanted and again in the early hours of the morning on three different channels.
The only thing stopping it going back is the saving on overall cost.
" Emperors new clothes comes to mind "
Are you giving thumbs up and down on your fav programmes as i have over 4 pages off suggestions.
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 15:35   #24
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge View Post
Are you giving thumbs up and down on your fav programmes as i have over 4 pages off suggestions.
The answer is yes.
However the question is why a soap ? That is something I never watch.
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 16:10   #25
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
The answer is yes.
However the question is why a soap ? That is something I never watch.
Did you give it 3 thumbs down?
clinteastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 16:16   #26
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Catchup - never use it suggestions - RUBBISH ( all I have had so far is Eastenders
Eastenders can't think of anything worse.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 18:33   #27
LincsGuy2005
Inactive

Quote:
I hope his colleague who is on the way to me now knows that as well!
Update: he didn't. I now have a new TiVo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
If you see no benefit to 5x the storage, quick access to catchup, suggestions and the ability to record three shows at once (and soon share those recordings) then yeah.
Yeah, I agree that three tuners and 5x the storage is great, but when there's no effective and easy way to dub the shows you want to keep for longer to DVD, or to store them on a PC hard drive, whenever there is a problem and the box needs reformatting or swapping, that advantage is wiped out in an instant. I lost over 250 hours of TV this afternoon.

I was using the iPlayer app on the new box to watch this week's Frozen Planet (which I had recorded on the old box but not been able to watch due to the rebooting) when a scheduled recording started. I was unceremonously dumped out of iPlayer to watch the recorded programme. When I went back into iPlayer (which takes long enough in itself), I then had to hunt around for the point up to which I had watched. Presumably the same dumping out of iPlayer would happen if a 'suggestion' was recorded on any tuner? Quick access to catchup maybe, but reliable viewing it aint.

I probably haven't given enough thumbs up to shows to make Suggestions viable; I have yet to find anything in there that I want to watch. I only have one TiVo so streaming between them is not something I am ever going to do.

TiVo is being marketed as a VM premier product. I feel like I have spent the last 8 months beta testing a product that was not fit to be released as an "upgrade" from the V+ box in the state it was when first introduced. With the 15.2 update it is getting closer but there are still some fairly glaring glitches and omissions such as the iPlayer dumping when recording starts, lack of reminders, no dub to DVD facility, inflexibility of recording padding, lack of Red Button functionality, etc.

Premier product? Naaaahhh.
Old 18-11-2011, 21:45   #28
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
, no dub to DVD facility,
:
There is, via the scart socket, but you have to be playing the show whilst dubbing.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 16:25   #29
LincsGuy2005
Inactive

Yes, but that is not as good as what the V+ provided, so I regard it as a retrograde step.
Old 19-11-2011, 17:03   #30
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yes, but that is not as good as what the V+ provided, so I regard it as a retrograde step.

Wouldn't touch TiVo with a barge pole just now. In a year maybe but too many complaints and problems and omissions at this time. Pretty sure it will improve but really not at present.
Henkesghost is offline   Reply With Quote