Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TIVO Update = Constant Crashes/Restarts

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Tivo installed 24/11/11 informed wont' be working until 29/11/11

Old 27-11-2011, 15:19   #1
rockingray
Inactive

rockingray is an unknown quantity at this point
Tivo installed 24/11/11 informed wont' be working until 29/11/11

Hi
I've been with Virgin Media for many many years. Recently, my wife and I decided to upgrade from the V+HD Box to Tivo. Installation date was last Thursday. My wife informed me when I got home - the good news is that we have a Tivo box, the bad news is that the engineer left it at the updating stage - he informed my wife that there was a national problem with Tivo box registrations that day but installation should start within 2 hours, if not, he stated to phone back.

Needless to say, by 6 p.m. Thursday box was still on the updating screen. I telephoned VM, the gentleman advised that they had originally been informed that the problem would take 24 hours to resolve, but had heard from their engineers that it would be an additional 24 hours. Therefore, if the box was still not working by 6 p.m. on Saturday to phone them back.

6 p.m. on Saturday - box still on the same screen. Another phone call to VM. This time the gentleman gave me the incredible news that the problem would not be resolved until Tuesday, 29th Nov. Also, he informed me that the registration of news installations was not just a national problem but ACROSS THE ENTIRE WORLD!!! He mentioned that it was a problem across in America that causing the problem. I find this a bit hard to swallow. I've read many articles on problems with the Tivo box but this is surely pushing it to the limit.

Has anyone else had an installation 'attempted' in the last few days and what has VM's response been.

Thanks

Ray
rockingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-11-2011, 15:25   #2
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: Tivo installed 24/11/11 informed wont' be working until 29/11/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingray View Post
Hi
I've been with Virgin Media for many many years. Recently, my wife and I decided to upgrade from the V+HD Box to Tivo. Installation date was last Thursday. My wife informed me when I got home - the good news is that we have a Tivo box, the bad news is that the engineer left it at the updating stage - he informed my wife that there was a national problem with Tivo box registrations that day but installation should start within 2 hours, if not, he stated to phone back.

Needless to say, by 6 p.m. Thursday box was still on the updating screen. I telephoned VM, the gentleman advised that they had originally been informed that the problem would take 24 hours to resolve, but had heard from their engineers that it would be an additional 24 hours. Therefore, if the box was still not working by 6 p.m. on Saturday to phone them back.

6 p.m. on Saturday - box still on the same screen. Another phone call to VM. This time the gentleman gave me the incredible news that the problem would not be resolved until Tuesday, 29th Nov. Also, he informed me that the registration of news installations was not just a national problem but ACROSS THE ENTIRE WORLD!!! He mentioned that it was a problem across in America that causing the problem. I find this a bit hard to swallow. I've read many articles on problems with the Tivo box but this is surely pushing it to the limit.

Has anyone else had an installation 'attempted' in the last few days and what has VM's response been.

Thanks

Ray
Hi Ray,

to the forum

Sorry to hear you are having problems since install... We did indeed have a problem with all install/service "hits" on Thursday. This caused a massive backlog in sending signals to all box's, not just TiVo.

This should have been resolved on Thursday, i'm not aware of the issue continuing and I was in work on Friday.

TiVo has to connect the the TiVo servers in the US to download the software, so this is maybe where that statement is coming from. It should have recieved it's install "hit" by now, so I'm not sure why you are being told it's still ongoing, unless there is a IT issue on your account. Have you spoken to TiVo 2nd line in Liverpool?
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 15:49   #3
rockingray
Inactive

Thanks Digital Fanatic

No - I've not spoken to Tivo 2nd line in Liverpool - how do you get through to them?

Just worried that maybe the box itself is faulty - don't want to wait until Tuesday, nothing happen and then find out the box has been faulty all along. All that is happening is the blue light on the far right side is constantly on, the red LED next to it alternates between flashing and steady and occasionally that LED goes off and the one to the left of it comes on, then the whole patter is repeated. The display on the screen says "Important - please do not switch off your set top box, we're updating etc), then at the bottom it is stuck on "Updating - State 1 of 3" - the bar below this does fill from left to right and then just repeats the same.

Would switching the box off and on make a difference?

Just for your information, before the installation, we had a normal V+ box in the bedroom and a V+ HD box in the lounge, the V+ box in the bedroom has gone and the engineer replaced this with the V+ HD box that we had in the lounge (and this box is working perfectly). The new Tivo box is therefore in the lounge.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Old 27-11-2011, 15:57   #4
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Thanks Digital Fanatic

No - I've not spoken to Tivo 2nd line in Liverpool - how do you get through to them?

Just worried that maybe the box itself is faulty - don't want to wait until Tuesday, nothing happen and then find out the box has been faulty all along. All that is happening is the blue light on the far right side is constantly on, the red LED next to it alternates between flashing and steady and occasionally that LED goes off and the one to the left of it comes on, then the whole patter is repeated. The display on the screen says "Important - please do not switch off your set top box, we're updating etc), then at the bottom it is stuck on "Updating - State 1 of 3" - the bar below this does fill from left to right and then just repeats the same.

Would switching the box off and on make a difference?

Just for your information, before the installation, we had a normal V+ box in the bedroom and a V+ HD box in the lounge, the V+ box in the bedroom has gone and the engineer replaced this with the V+ HD box that we had in the lounge (and this box is working perfectly). The new Tivo box is therefore in the lounge.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Sounds like the box has failed at install and the loss of install "hits" has clouded the issue. You can get in touch with 2nd line in Liverpool by posting on the Virgin Media Community Forum.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/bd-p/Tivo

You will need to register, but the team are in until 10pm, so will hopefully be able to assist you further.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 27-11-2011, 16:48   #5
rockingray
Inactive

I've just registered on the Virgin Media Community Forum and posted a message.

Thanks for all your assistance.
Old 27-11-2011, 17:16   #6
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
I've just registered on the Virgin Media Community Forum and posted a message.

Thanks for all your assistance.
No probs. Emma has replied to you with a private message on the Community Forum. just click the envelope symbol under your user name (top right) to read.