Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Classic Shell Alternative

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Classic Shell Alternative

Old 06-02-2018, 17:42   #1
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Classic Shell Alternative

Ive been using classic shell for as long as I've used windows 10 but the developer has stopped supporting it.

Whats the best alternative?
Thanks
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2018, 18:16   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Classic Shell Alternative

Start10 is said to be good but it isn't free, there is a free trial and it only costs $5 though.

https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

Last edited by SnoopZ; 06-02-2018 at 18:20.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 18:25   #3
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

You might want to look at Start Menu X (http://www.startmenux.com/index.html) as a free alternative
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 18:45   #4
multiskilled
cf.geek

Services: Player tv , V6, phone l, bb 100Meg.
multiskilled has reached the bronze age
multiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze age

I was going to suggest a hoody. Now don't I feel stupid.
Old 06-02-2018, 20:19   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Or just don't change it from the Windows 10 one as in my opinion it is not needed.
Old 06-02-2018, 21:34   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Whats the best alternative?
Windows 7 or Windows 8.

I will be using them well into the 2020's and classic shell works on them just fine.

After that, I suspect I'll have to move away from Windows - as 10 is truely awful.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:24   #7
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Just because a piece of software is not actively being developed does not immediatly make it useless or vulnerable. I shall continue to use classic shell as it is plenty fit for purpose as it is.

Another product that is about to loose development support is MPC but I certainly won't stop using it.
Old 09-02-2018, 00:40   #8
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

The indication was that it does require attention to prevent Windows 10 updates breaking it, so YMMV as to how long it lasts.

To be honest though, under Win8 I'd have been screaming for start menu back, but I'm happy enough with the way Win10 handles it, and with a few Live tiles for the things that are worth them (and non of the alternatives do that)
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:14   #9
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Windows 7 or Windows 8.

I will be using them well into the 2020's and classic shell works on them just fine.

After that, I suspect I'll have to move away from Windows - as 10 is truely awful.

You're not alone, once my windows 8.1 packs in, I'll be exploring something else if MS continue along Win 10 crap
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 14:26   #10
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

I have been using this http://startisback.com/

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 15:58   #11
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Windows 7 or Windows 8.

What don't you like about Windows 10?
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 16:21   #12
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
For me in short,

I don't like the way it reports so much back to Microsoft including typing, web browsing, speech if you use it's stupid cortana. I dont like the adverts they are injecting in the windows explorer or the fact you have to use a third party program to block telemtry and to allow you to decide when you update.

That was the short version, if you have a day spare i will give you the other reasons as to why it's the devils work

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 17:22   #13
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Everything!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 18:05   #14
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Everything!

I must admit I liked XP but I get on with Windows 10.

I think the worse was Windows 95 Me which was a disaster, even Microsoft word agree I think.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 19:03   #15
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I must admit I liked XP but I get on with Windows 10.

I think the worse was Windows 95 Me which was a disaster, even Microsoft word agree I think.
Everybody including Microsoft agree W95ME was a disaster and it didn't last long.

As regards Classic Shell I've just updated W10 on a hard drive I haven't used for months (took about 2 hrs).

Once done Classic Shell said it needed to reconfigure due to the update (not download a newer version). Clicked OK and it works the same as the months ago I installed it.

Nevertheless I won't be moving to W10 as my main OS. Like others I'll stick to W7 and then go the Linux route.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote