Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | U.S President: Donald Trump

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

U.S President: Donald Trump
Closed Thread

Old 19-02-2017, 17:20   #316
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: U.S President: Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Trump's clearly not a skilled orator or a diplomat and maybe that's what a lot of Americans like about him. I don't think the media's obsession with his choice of words is going to register much with those who voted for him. In fact, rather as it did with UKIP, all the media attacks served to make them more popular.
It's not a 'choice of words' though. It's literally saying something so grammatically incorrect everyone thinks he means something else. We would mark down students sitting their SATs in Year 9 for that.

That 'mistake' wasn't the biggest issue in the world but to have a go at people for not getting what he meant is mad. Maybe the President of the United States should communicate better than a child.
Advertisement
Old 19-02-2017, 17:21   #317
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I know what he means because people have pointed it subsequently but otherwise any reading of that sentence would think he is referring to something in Sweden last night.
He would not be the first politician to say stuff that on the surface, gives several interpretations but I would expect people to work it out instead of opting for the version that fits an agenda and it is not hard, I did not need it pointing out, I knew where he was going with what he was saying, that the refugee/immigration issue in Europe is out of control, no-one can deny this is not the case when it so is. To see stupid headlines by stupid left leaning news media outlets, and it is just another day, with their shambolic Anti-Trump hysteria that they have against him.

Now sure it is fine to question what he said and wonder what he meant, as you said you have had it pointed out to you, the media being in the business of news and information and wanting to stay a balanced news platform, would have had got that too but they decided to play dirty because going for the headline is all that mattered and when ones does it, they all do it like lost sheep.

It's like yesterday, there was a headline about former Manchester United player Dwight Yorke, being banned from entering the US on Friday, headlines on several news outlets said 'Trump's ban stops Dwight Yorke entering US." Doh, did they forget the ban is currently halted by a 9th District Court Judge in Seattle ? The actual problem, was an issue created by the previous Obama Administration, but it was far easier to blame Trump. Pathetic.
Old 19-02-2017, 17:39   #318
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
It's not a 'choice of words' though. It's literally saying something so grammatically incorrect everyone thinks he means something else. We would mark down students sitting their SATs in Year 9 for that.

That 'mistake' wasn't the biggest issue in the world but to have a go at people for not getting what he meant is mad. Maybe the President of the United States should communicate better than a child.
Are you being a little harsh? For example:

Quote:
There was a program on Fox News about Muslim immigration into Sweden. He was almost certainly referencing that although it's not clear if he knew it wasn't a news report about a specific incident. That is what is causing the confusion.
There is a difference between a 'program' and a 'programme' but we all know what you meant
Old 19-02-2017, 17:43   #319
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Are you being a little harsh? For example:

There is a difference between a 'program' and a 'programme' but we all know what you meant
My English isn't great but I hold the President to a higher standard.
Old 19-02-2017, 17:43   #320
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Trump's clearly not a skilled orator or a diplomat and maybe that's what a lot of Americans like about him. I don't think the media's obsession with his choice of words is going to register much with those who voted for him. In fact, rather as it did with UKIP, all the media attacks served to make them more popular.
But what he says is important - he is the leader of the largest economy and the strongest armed forces in the world; if what he says can be misunderstood, that's a problem.

Also, there's a huge difference in not being a skilled orator and making things up (largest share of electoral vote since Reagan, been on the cover of Time a record number of times, look what happened last night in Sweden).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 19-02-2017, 17:45   #321
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:

That could be said for a LOT of politicians around the world over and over past and present, they also need to believe in democracy and stop asking for second referendums because they were not happy with the first result.
Old 19-02-2017, 17:50   #322
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
My English isn't great but I hold the President to a higher standard.
He's American though, they can't even spell English correctly.
Old 19-02-2017, 17:52   #323
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
That could be said for a LOT of politicians around the world over and over past and present, they also need to believe in democracy and stop asking for second referendums because they were not happy with the first result.
They can ask for it, doesn't mean they'll get it (unless a lot of people vote for it).
Old 19-02-2017, 18:01   #324
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
They can ask for it, doesn't mean they'll get it (unless a lot of people vote for it).
They can't vote for it until they get it which won't happen.
Old 19-02-2017, 18:03   #325
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I meant people vote for a party that promises it. Although that itself won't happen. My point is that politicians can chose what they want to do but voters are the ones who get to judge them on it. Bit off topic though.
Old 19-02-2017, 18:06   #326
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
I meant people vote for a party that promises it. Although that itself won't happen. My point is that politicians can chose what they want to do but voters are the ones who get to judge them on it. Bit off topic though.
I take it that was a "Trumpism" then? You've just proved Mick's point.
Old 19-02-2017, 18:09   #327
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I take it that was a "Trumpism" then? You've just proved Mick's point.
What?
Old 19-02-2017, 18:30   #328
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

OK I'll type this slowly so you can understand.

You said.
Quote:
I said.

Quote:
After which you said.

Quote:
I meant people vote for a party that promises it.
Which means you had to explain yourself as you post was not clear and did not state what you actually meant.

Something like this I think.

Quote:
It's literally saying something so grammatically incorrect everyone thinks he means something else.
Ergo "Trumpism".
Old 19-02-2017, 18:40   #329
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
OK I'll type this slowly so you can understand.
Needlessly rude

My post is clear in context of the post I was replying too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Quote:
'it' referring to a second referendum.

Anyway this is way off topic now.
Old 19-02-2017, 21:29   #330
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
He looks stupid too. It shouldn't be too much to ask of a President making a speech to structure his sentences properly. The way he said it made it sound like he was referring to 'something' happening in Sweden 'last night' and not a program he watched on Sweden last night.

I know what he means because people have pointed it subsequently but otherwise any reading of that sentence would think he is referring to something in Sweden last night.
Another theory is that he believed the attack in Sehwan was Sweden and not the place in Pakistan. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7583986.html
Closed Thread