Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wi-fi Gaming problem? ...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Wi-fi Gaming problem? ...

Old 04-10-2018, 19:01   #1
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road
Wi-fi Gaming problem? ...

I just noticed this post on the Official forums over at VM ... I don't think it's been mentioned here yet?
Quote:
We’re aware of an issue affecting some customers using a WiFi connection on our Hub 3.0 router while gaming online. We apologise for any frustration and inconvenience caused.

We’ve identified the problem and a fix will be rolled out by tomorrow morning (Saturday 29 September). No action will need to be taken by yourselves.

The problem is caused by a WiFi channel testing feature on the Hub 3.0. A technical issue occurring during this test may result in greater lag when playing games online. Other online activity is unaffected.
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...g/td-p/3839750

I also noticed the other massive thread re. the Puma6 problem has been locked ... so it will quickly disappear from view!

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...e/td-p/3271492
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2018, 20:47   #2
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age
Re: Wi-fi Gaming problem? ...

Should never use wifi for gaming anyway. A DOCSIS connection is already jittery enough!
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 22:02   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have my SH3 in the hall upstairs above the airing cupboard.

Net to this is my Router, I have a cable going into my room to a 16 port hub, cables from this go to my Xboxes.

I use a powerline adaptor from upstars to downstairs and get 200meg on a speed test
Old 05-10-2018, 18:21   #4
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Should never use wifi for gaming anyway. A DOCSIS connection is already jittery enough!

Totally agree.Even a stable VM connection with perfect power levels and low contention is going to see an average jitter of 0.21ms down and 0.47ms up.

Although that's low it can have an impact on online gaming esp FPS games etc.

A hardwired connection will always be best and remember you can run up to 300m (328Sq-feet)of CAT5 ethernet extension cable before you start to see any loss and even then it's minimal.
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 18:55   #5
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

We’re aware of an issue affecting some customers using a WiFi connection on our Hub 3.0 router while gaming online. We apologise for any frustration and inconvenience caused.

We’ve identified the problem and a fix will be rolled out by tomorrow morning (Saturday 29 September). No action will need to be taken by yourselves.

The problem is caused by a WiFi channel testing feature on the Hub 3.0. A technical issue occurring during this test may result in greater lag when playing games online. Other online activity is unaffected.

This is where VM have become incredibly stupid. They added "Smart WiFi" to the Hub 3.0. You'd have thought they'd learned the lesson from the MacBook WiFi horror story that took 2 years to resolve with a new OS that removed the aggressive WiFi "Smart WiFi" function which cause a MacBook to switch channels when it thought it should.

Jeez.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 21:02   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I guess this is not an issue if you put your SH on modem mode and use your own router?
Old 08-10-2018, 00:15   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

exactly. It baffles me that after all these years we still keep having the same stupid conversations. If you are astute enough to notice diminished performance over wifi then you should a) know not to use wifi for gaming in the first place and b) know not to use the shub anyway
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:31   #8
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

for the record , I'm not a gamer anyway!

I was wondering what this fix might have been and did anyone actually notice?
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:09   #9
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

The firmware changes offloaded some processes onto another chip so reducing the load on the main CPU and thus improving latency.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote