Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 16:31   #3556
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Which is why you create your own build with none of that paid junk which can go down anytime.
Interesting without my vpn on SKYsports is hit n miss on kodi, however with vpn on it is flawless.
Those who bought fully loaded boxes may indeed be at risk but those like me who bought a perfectly legit android tv box and created their own build and use a vpn will be fine.
Someone like you who knows what they are doing will be fine, but there are many IT illiterate gullible souls who can find themselves in all sorts or trouble not only from the powers that be but from their fully loaded box, downloaded build or wizard.
I've posted elsewhere on these forums the dangers of these so wont repeat myself except to say there are many people that have fallen for the Kodi=free TV BS and have now potentially opened up their personal accounts, home networks and any devices attached to it to a potential world of pain.

To give a couple of examples of my points,
an old friend posted up on Facebook that they were going to buy a "Kodi box", this is a grammar school and university educated man who at the time was quite high up in the training department for a major high street bank.
I was a lone voice telling him not to buy it and all the dangers associated with it, he didn't even know all the sources were illegal, but as I was drowned out by a hundred other voices telling him to buy it and Kodi is the best thing since sliced bread he went ahead and bought it.
A couple of months later he's posting that Kodi is a load of rubbish and his cards have been scammed!

My second example is of an online protocol that predates the world wide web,
a few years ago there was a website that made using this protocol very easy, they soon gained over half a million members, I knew people who could barely turn on a PC who were members and lo and behold after a couple of years this site was forced to close after legal threats.
For full disclosure I still use this protocol to supplement my media but I know from the experience of trying to explain it to people it is beyond your average Joe to use and sufficiently under the radar again so that its only hassle is (easily circumvented) DMCA takedowns.
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2017, 16:50   #3557
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Yet again you don't seem capable to realise that Sky and Virgin offer far more than just the Sky channels as I say there is far more content. If you don't watch content on the pay channels I'd seriously be asking yourself why you have Virgin TV.
Er, I think I know what I am paying for, old chap, and as I have already pointed out, my recordings are proof of the pudding.

There are fewer and fewer recordings of Sky and other pay channels as time goes on as quality and choice go down the pan, most recordings now tend to be from the terrestrials and a huge chunk of my viewing comes from Netflix and Amazon. I have caught up with many of the shows I missed on Sky Atlantic through Now TV.

And to answer your question, if things get much worse, I will indeed pull the plug on these pay channels. I may go for a Freeview Recorder and get the rest of my viewing from streaming services for less than £35 per month.

Sky, demonstrably, is having increasing difficulty preventing their subscribers from leaving, which is why they are going to such lengths to retain them. The diminishing amount of decent choice and increasing prices is causing this.
Old 02-08-2017, 17:07   #3558
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
Someone like you who knows what they are doing will be fine, but there are many IT illiterate gullible souls who can find themselves in all sorts or trouble not only from the powers that be but from their fully loaded box, downloaded build or wizard.
I've posted elsewhere on these forums the dangers of these so wont repeat myself except to say there are many people that have fallen for the Kodi=free TV BS and have now potentially opened up their personal accounts, home networks and any devices attached to it to a potential world of pain.

To give a couple of examples of my points,
an old friend posted up on Facebook that they were going to buy a "Kodi box", this is a grammar school and university educated man who at the time was quite high up in the training department for a major high street bank.
I was a lone voice telling him not to buy it and all the dangers associated with it, he didn't even know all the sources were illegal, but as I was drowned out by a hundred other voices telling him to buy it and Kodi is the best thing since sliced bread he went ahead and bought it.
A couple of months later he's posting that Kodi is a load of rubbish and his cards have been scammed!

My second example is of an online protocol that predates the world wide web,
a few years ago there was a website that made using this protocol very easy, they soon gained over half a million members, I knew people who could barely turn on a PC who were members and lo and behold after a couple of years this site was forced to close after legal threats.
For full disclosure I still use this protocol to supplement my media but I know from the experience of trying to explain it to people it is beyond your average Joe to use and sufficiently under the radar again so that its only hassle is (easily circumvented) DMCA takedowns.
BIB absolutely agree so many people jump into these things without having a clue on what they are doing or how to protect themselves.
Old 02-08-2017, 17:32   #3559
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Er, I think I know what I am paying for, old chap, and as I have already pointed out, my recordings are proof of the pudding.

There are fewer and fewer recordings of Sky and other pay channels as time goes on as quality and choice go down the pan, most recordings now tend to be from the terrestrials and a huge chunk of my viewing comes from Netflix and Amazon. I have caught up with many of the shows I missed on Sky Atlantic through Now TV.

And to answer your question, if things get much worse, I will indeed pull the plug on these pay channels. I may go for a Freeview Recorder and get the rest of my viewing from streaming services for less than £35 per month.

Sky, demonstrably, is having increasing difficulty preventing their subscribers from leaving, which is why they are going to such lengths to retain them. The diminishing amount of decent choice and increasing prices is causing this.
I prefer to say the packages are bloated but this is the same problem for both Sky and Virgin. In the US more and more packages are popping up (Skinny Bundles) just as Sky has already done with Now TV. I expect this will be the way forward.

The traditional packages are extremely expensive however many still choose them as they offer them a greater mix of content for example Sports , Sports News , Wider range of Documentaries etc. I can see your point for non Sports fans however I'm different in the sense I probably watch the Sky channels more than any of the other pay ones. Just my personal viewing but I never watch the likes of W , Alibi , Comedy Central , MTV etc.

Last edited by muppetman11; 02-08-2017 at 18:02.
Old 02-08-2017, 18:07   #3560
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Which is why you create your own build with none of that paid junk which can go down anytime.
Interesting without my vpn on SKYsports is hit n miss on kodi, however with vpn on it is flawless.
Those who bought fully loaded boxes may indeed be at risk but those like me who bought a perfectly legit android tv box and created their own build and use a vpn will be fine.
Yes, theone, but things can change.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/...sia-bans-vpns/

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I prefer to say the packages are bloated but this is the same problem for both Sky and Virgin. In the US more and more packages are popping up (Skinny Bundles) just as Sky has already done with Now TV. I expect this will be the way forward.

The traditional packages are extremely expensive however many still choose them as they offer them a greater mix of content for example Sports , Sports News , Wider range of Documentaries etc. I can see your point for non Sports fans however I'm different in the sense I probably watch the Sky channels more than any of the other pay ones. Just my personal viewing but I never watch the likes of W , Alibi , Comedy Central , MTV etc.
If these packages were bloated with good content, you certainly wouldn't be hearing me complaining.

Even the documentary channels have a fair amount of junk included. Good, serious documentaries are hard to find.
Old 02-08-2017, 19:02   #3561
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Yes, theone, but things can change.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/...sia-bans-vpns/

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:04 ----------

If these packages were bloated with good content, you certainly wouldn't be hearing me complaining.

Even the documentary channels have a fair amount of junk included. Good, serious documentaries are hard to find.
I take no notice of scaremonging OB that's Russia.
Old 02-08-2017, 19:52   #3562
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I take no notice of scaremonging OB that's Russia.
Old 03-08-2017, 13:11   #3563
theone2k10
Inactive

The doommongers are always posting negative stuff about piracy so here's a bit of positive news too https://torrentfreak.com/piracy-brin...orrentfreak%29
Old 03-08-2017, 13:56   #3564
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
The doommongers are always posting negative stuff about piracy so here's a bit of positive news too https://torrentfreak.com/piracy-brin...orrentfreak%29
I'm not sure why he thinks all his younger fans have pirated material when it is free to watch on YouTube and elsewhere.

It's still theft, I'm afraid.
Old 03-08-2017, 17:32   #3565
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:

I've pretty much given up on finding good serious documentaries apart from on Iplayer (one of the few things that make the license fee justifiable for me).
Channels that used to have great documentaries now survive on a diet of faux reality shows.
Even on Netflix most of the documentaries are crapolla and it takes huge effort to sort the wheat from the chaff.

A long time ago when satellite TV was in its infancy some people predicted that TV was rushing headlong into the bottom of the barrel, this is certainly true for the majority of programs passed off as documentaries these days!
Old 03-08-2017, 19:12   #3566
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
I've pretty much given up on finding good serious documentaries apart from on Iplayer (one of the few things that make the license fee justifiable for me).
Channels that used to have great documentaries now survive on a diet of faux reality shows.
Even on Netflix most of the documentaries are crapolla and it takes huge effort to sort the wheat from the chaff.

A long time ago when satellite TV was in its infancy some people predicted that TV was rushing headlong into the bottom of the barrel, this is certainly true for the majority of programs passed off as documentaries these days!
If you can get it on your tv (smart tv) docubox is pretty good for documentaries it's free too.
Old 03-08-2017, 19:22   #3567
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
If you can get it on your tv (smart tv) docubox is pretty good for documentaries it's free too.
Thanks for that. I don't believe I've been into Docubox yet, I'll take a look at the weekend.
Old 05-08-2017, 00:29   #3568
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

TV Player Plus have a cracking offer. Sign up to their service just now and get 12 months subscription for £48 using promo code tvpannual Works out at £4.00 per month. Seriously good value for what you get
Old 05-08-2017, 00:54   #3569
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
TV Player Plus have a cracking offer. Sign up to their service just now and get 12 months subscription for £48 using promo code tvpannual Works out at £4.00 per month. Seriously good value for what you get
They told me universal, fox and syfy will be joining their line up in near future.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:39   #3570
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
They told me universal, fox and syfy will be joining their line up in near future.
They've certainly got a fine selection of channels. Almost all the main ones outwith the SKY branded channels.
Closed Thread