Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Worst thing you've done to a computer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > General Entertainment

Worst thing you've done to a computer

Old 31-08-2005, 13:44   #16
Millay
Inactive

Millay has reached the bronze age
Millay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Millay Send a message via Yahoo to Millay
Re: Worst thing you've done to a computer

Installing OS/2 across the network (only the server had a CD drive in it). somebody assumed something else was on the disk ran a command and broke the hard drive partion on a production machine...

Wrote a prog in rexx that auto replied to emails i received, sent an email to the IBM CEO.. saying i couldnt be buggered to work today.

Office version 6 came on 31 floppy disks, always corrupt disk 30!

going through msconfig on a customers computer, stopping all the unaceesry junk from starting up.. restarted the machine it wouldnt start... the customer was sat behind me going from mildly panicked to complete coranory!
Millay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-08-2005, 13:48   #17
Chimaera
cf.mega poster

Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star

Buying a Time/Tiny pc - need I say more?
Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 14:25   #18
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett
del *.* in the c:/ directory of a win3.11 machine

Managed to restore for the computer next to it but a worried few minutes
That still shouldn't have touched any hidden system files and it wouldn't have removed any directories either You might have lost your autoexec.bat and config.sys but that would have been about it.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 14:35   #19
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Another friend of mine, when he first started, walked into his nearest "patch panel" room (room where the telephone and network sockets are connected to the switchboard/network - example piccy attached), and thought "Hmm, this could do with a tidy up". It's only when he pulled all the red cables (telephone cables) out that he realised he hadn't made a note of which cables were connected to which socket.

He spent his entire weekend running round the building phoning extensions, and picking up externsions and phoning switchboard to find out what number he was calling from. Just so he could get the right extension connected to the right socket number.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 18:20   #20
budwieser
cf.mega poster

budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star
budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star

Last year i had two 160 gig hard drives set as slave and master ( c & d ),

used c drive for Win xp and d drive for all my mp3`s video`s, pictures and videos of my Grand daughter etc, etc and ran KILLDISK.EXE on the c drive and went to bed.
Next morning i checked the machine and KILLDISK.EXE had finished c drive and wiped d drive as well! Lost every single thing but using some recovery software i managed to get back 120 gigs of my d drive stuff back. Thank you Ontrack Easy Data Recovery Pro!
budwieser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 18:45   #21
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett
del *.* in the c:/ directory of a win3.11 machine

Managed to restore for the computer next to it but a worried few minutes
I shouldn't really admit to it, but hey...

I typed "DEL *.*" in the root directory of a CP-M machine (yeah - I'm that old!) which unfortunately hadn't been backed up for 3 weeks.

At the "Are you sure?" prompt I typed 'Y', immediately realising that was the wrong answer!

But, as it happened, I managed to recover 3 week's worth of work (all assembly language code!) from memory (i.e. my memory - no printouts) over the next 3 days.

Let's just say it was an object lesson to affirm the need for regular backups. (And maybe also to read a prompt twice before typing!)

On a slightly similar note, I know someone who had an iPod/Imac and collected a HUGE amount of music, which was sync'ed between iPod and iMac. Now this stuff obviously was taking up a lot of disk space on the iMac, and since it was all on the iPod, he decided to delete the stuff off the iMac to save space.

Of course, the next time he connected the iPod, it sync'ed to the iMac...

Yeah, you guessed it - the iPod promptly deleted all the files stored on it! It was probably cruel, but I couldn't help laughing.

And before you think of suggesting it - NO! - it was NOT me!
Old 31-08-2005, 19:04   #22
kookook
Inactive

kookook is on a distinguished roadkookook is on a distinguished road

Configuring Tweak UI to hide my name at startup. Little did I know, it was refferring to my username. So the next time I booted, there were no users. Locked out. Had to log in manually by booting in safe mode w/ command prompt. Scared the hell out of me at first.
kookook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 19:07   #23
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

I put AOL version 8 on my computer once.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 19:30   #24
budwieser
cf.mega poster

budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star
budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
Surely putting ANY version of AOL on your PC is a Major F*** up!
budwieser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 19:34   #25
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

ok ok i admit it a pc bounced down the stairs coz i'm clumsy

on a lighter side i got a brand new one of the insurance
but my premium went up
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 19:40   #26
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Stripping down a machine in training someone who shall remain nameless managed to kill a machine by clicking the heatsink on when the processor wasn't seated correctly.

One new motherboard later the system was working again.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 21:52   #27
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Taking apart a computer and knocking out the yellow lead from the spare floppy power lead socket . Then thinking it would be fine and only a few volts I powered up the machine after inserting a brand new 64mb sd ram (when it was not so cheap). think all was well then standing the case back up to pop the case cover on.

Well the lead flopped onto the ram stick and set it alight. poo

I then tried to exchange the ram but they made me buy another one
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 22:22   #28
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
I notice Wayne hasn't posted about installing AOL on his PC.....

I was once trying to remove the thermal pad from a GPU chip, it was hard going using a cotton bud and nail varnish remover so I decided to use a large head flat screwdriver to make things a bit easier. One deep groove carved into the chips surface later I realised that I should go back to using a cotton bud
I made sure that the thermal paste was in the groove before the heatsink was replaced and it worked fine......phew!
Old 31-08-2005, 22:25   #29
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
I was once trying to remove the thermal pad from a GPU chip<snip>
Which reminds me of the time I inserted a 68K processor back-to-front into a system. Worse still,I was on site abroad at the time with no hope of getting a replacement!

Turns out it must have been well made, cos it worked fine after it was re-inserted correctly...

BTW - someone reading this post over my shoulder reminded me of something else. In this case, we have to categorise a GameBoy as a 'computer'.

Well, in order to 'teach someone a lesson' I took their GB and splatted it with a lump hammer. The lesson was received as intended. The GB did NOT work afterwards.
Old 31-08-2005, 22:29   #30
mrs markymoan
Inactive

Services: ntl family pack 2 meg broadband
mrs markymoan is on a distinguished roadmrs markymoan is on a distinguished road

"My husband is a pratt" Need i say more
mrs markymoan is offline   Reply With Quote