Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Prince Philip has Died R.I.P

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Prince Philip has Died R.I.P

Old 13-04-2021, 16:15   #91
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Prince Philip has Died R.I.P

Mrmistoffelees had it absolutely spot on - on both his points.

My advice is at your risk.

Last edited by Sephiroth; 13-04-2021 at 16:51. Reason: typo
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-04-2021, 16:15   #92
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

So did Maggy.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 16:21   #93
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I really don't care. I don't watch a lot of programmed TV. I watch/listen to BBC stuff but on-demand rather than on channels.

If anything interrupting the main schedule with a 'special report' is such a rare event that I find it compelling. Something different to the norm. Add to the fact he was senior Royal, the husband of the Queen and I believe the longest-serving Price Consort then it seems justified to me.

I wasn't forced to watch the coverage and didn't for most of it. There are enough other channels and activities to do in this world that you're not forced to watch it so a day or two of coverage for a unique event isn't unjustified to me.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 16:29   #94
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have found out more stuff about the DoE in the last few days than I have in the last 40+.

If this had been reported better at the time, then perhaps this would have had more air time than the negative stuff.

Like he was a guest and rather than spend it with the officers, he spent it with the ordinary sailor eating out it of their mess tin
Old 13-04-2021, 16:37   #95
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I really don't care. I don't watch a lot of programmed TV. I watch/listen to BBC stuff but on-demand rather than on channels.

If anything interrupting the main schedule with a 'special report' is such a rare event that I find it compelling. Something different to the norm. Add to the fact he was senior Royal, the husband of the Queen and I believe the longest-serving Price Consort then it seems justified to me.

I wasn't forced to watch the coverage and didn't for most of it. There are enough other channels and activities to do in this world that you're not forced to watch it so a day or two of coverage for a unique event isn't unjustified to me.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 03:16   #96
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Their OTT coverage had zero effect on me.
I havent watched a BBC channel for a very long time.
Any BBC programme I watch (and there are not many) is via my usual means.

As to this thread - it seems to be going way off topic, so lets get back on track.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 17:10   #97
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Anyway we have returned to normal scheduling and apart from the funeral that would seem to be that.
Old 14-04-2021, 17:32   #98
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
BBC stands for British Broadcasting Corporation. It's their job to FULLY cover major events. The British public need to remember this.
There is fully covering, then there is covering something so much you are repeating yourself hourly while adding nothing to the existing coverage.

By Friday evening, I'd argue that the BBC (and other media) were doing the latter, and not the former.

They could have reverted to something near normal programming in the evening without being disrespectful. Perhaps not anything too violent or featuring death, but something.

Still they did the same with Diana, and I thought that was massively over the top as well.

Not that I am complaining. I used the time to catch up with a few other TV shows I've not watched recently, and enjoyed them.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 09:06   #99
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

It didn't last longer than the weekend before we returned to normalish service.
Old 15-04-2021, 09:20   #100
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

There are/were a thousand other options if you wanted to avoid the coverage and there will be again this weekend.
Old 15-04-2021, 09:40   #101
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Looks like Saturday will be a none uniform day, we won't get to see Admiral Andy in his new uniform.

https://news.sky.com/story/prince-ph...iform-12275788
Old 15-04-2021, 10:09   #102
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Ironic that the Guardian saying "to not embarrass Prince Harry".

Yeah, when the press publish the photos it's going to be embarrassing for the guy who served in Afghanistan. Not the rest of them who have honorary titles and hid on boats.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 10:58   #103
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

Yeah, when the press publish the photos it's going to be embarrassing for the guy who served in Afghanistan. Not the rest of them who have honorary titles and hid on boats.
I think William has actually tried pretty hard to put himself in harm's way, considering his status as 2nd in line demands he go into the military yet not actually do any dangerous military stuff. Search and rescue pilots do some pretty crazy stuff at times. His uncle Andrew was also very much in harm's way - there was no hiding on boats in the Falklands, as anyone on board HMS Coventry, Sheffield or a host of others will tell you.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 10:59   #104
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

tbf to Andy (shudder), he was an Exocet decoy in the Falklands War.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d...hour-mrtn93663
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 11:03   #105
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
tbf to Andy (shudder), he was an Exocet decoy in the Falklands War.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d...hour-mrtn93663
I am not posh enough to subscribe to The Times
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote