Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dominic Cummings has resigned

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Dominic Cummings has resigned

Old 27-04-2021, 20:10   #106
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Dominic Cummings has resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

Then read what I wrote properly. I never defended him. I was in "cast the first stone" mode, obviously. Then you concocted a whole load of diatribe as to what you surmised I supported in Cummings' behaviour.

I refer you to Matthew 7.

Don't you see that those who are judging him are having a feast?

if your defence on defending Cummings is saying you didn’t defend him, when you actually said "he didn’t do anything that most of us haven’t done", when most of us haven’t driven 250 miles against the guidance of the time, it’s not the defence you think it is, because in real life, the scale and magnitude of an offence makes a difference - if you drive at twice the speed limit, your punishment is more than if you drive five miles over the limit. Also, U.K. sentencing guidelines state set out different levels of sentence based on how blameworthy the offender is (referred to in the guidelines as ‘culpability’).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-04-2021, 20:16   #107
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Good grief, who the hell cares if he made a comment or not.

I dare anyone anywhere to state they have never made a flippent comment at one time or another or said they will do something they clearly wont really do ("I'll kill you if you do that" is a common one). No such policy was implemented, bodies did not pile high, we had 3 lockdowns.

Its just more mud slinging for the sake of mud slinging.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 22:52   #108
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Tory donor who paid for PM’s Downing Street refurb won lucrative public contracts worth up to £120m

LONDON (Bywire News) - The Conservative Party donor who paid £58,000 so Boris Johnson could refurbish his Downing Street flat is the founder of a company who may have benefitted from lucrative public contracts worth up to a staggering £120m, it can be revealed....

According to the government’s official public contract finder website, on May the 3rd, 2017 Huntswood CTC were awarded a public contract alongside 36 other firms as part of a framework agreement worth between £60-£120m in total...

There is no suggestion that Huntswood CTC acted illegally or improperly in order to win the public contracts nor is there any suggestion that Lord Brownlow has acted illegally or improperly in donating to the Conservative Party or founding a company that has won government contracts. This article is merely drawing attention to our readers of a potential conflict of interest which is clearly in the public interest and may be of value to any future investigations into public contractual procurement and political donations.
https://bywire.news/articles/tory-do...p-to-pound120m
Quote:
Sorry, Andrew. Yours is a vacuous statement.
You think the bodies look nice?

Last edited by 1andrew1; 27-04-2021 at 23:45.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 23:38   #109
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
https://americanlibrariesmagazine.or...ence-book-deal

---------- Post added at 22:52 ---------- Previous post was at 22:48 ----------

You think the bodies look nice?
It was vacuous at the time. If my remark sent you scurrying off to find the dirt, then my remark served its purpose.

---------- Post added at 23:38 ---------- Previous post was at 23:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
if your defence on defending Cummings is saying you didn’t defend him, when you actually said "he didn’t do anything that most of us haven’t done", when most of us haven’t driven 250 miles against the guidance of the time, it’s not the defence you think it is, because in real life, the scale and magnitude of an offence makes a difference - if you drive at twice the speed limit, your punishment is more than if you drive five miles over the limit. Also, U.K. sentencing guidelines state set out different levels of sentence based on how blameworthy the offender is (referred to in the guidelines as ‘culpability’).
You're losing the argument. We've moved from his Barnard Castle 'sin' to the 250 miles from London 'sin'.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 00:03   #110
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
It was vacuous at the time. If my remark sent you scurrying off to find the dirt, then my remark served its purpose.
The dirt's been there well before BoJo was PM. The very public falling-out between Cummings and BoJo is bringing the recent stuff to the surface. Michael Gove's favourite tabloid is serving it up daily.
Old 28-04-2021, 00:55   #111
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

---------- Post added at 23:38 ---------- Previous post was at 23:35 ----------

You're losing the argument. We've moved from his Barnard Castle 'sin' to the 250 miles from London 'sin'.

He’s capable of more than one sin, and, to be fair, they were parallel, not serial...

And as I mentioned both previously at the same time...

Quote:
Pretty sure most of us didn't take a test drive with our families to check our eyesight, or drive over 250 miles to self-isolate...

Last edited by Hugh; 28-04-2021 at 01:01.
Old 28-04-2021, 07:53   #112
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Then there is Matthew 7:

If I wasn’t in the middle of finishing my final assignment for my theology degree, I’d take some time here to explain all the ways you’re doing it wrong. But I am in the middle of finishing my theology degree, so I won’t. Plus, we’re veering off the topic.

Suffice it to say that the Bible is not a rule book. It does present a rule for life, but that’s not the same thing, and living by it can’t be achieved by quoting individual verses out of context. The Sermon on the Mount, from which you are quoting, is a great example of that, because if you try to follow it like a list of rules it’s impossible to achieve.

If you did try to do it that way, then a fully Christianised culture of the sort you have argued we are, would have reacted to Matthew 5:38-40 by closing down its courts: “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.” Yet no country in Christendom ever did so, and quite rightly because despite first appearances, judicial process is not what’s in view here.

Jesus’ rule of live is brilliant, the absolute best, and I’m delighted you’re attentive to it, but a rule of life, and a list of rules, are not the same thing. The Sermon on the Mount is the former.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 09:19   #113
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If I wasn’t in the middle of finishing my final assignment for my theology degree, I’d take some time here to explain all the ways you’re doing it wrong.
The Tim Vine joke about crime in multi-story car parks probably sums it up!

PMQs today should be interesting.
Old 28-04-2021, 10:29   #114
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post

PMQs today should be interesting.

Why . . . is Sephiroth attending?
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 11:01   #115
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
In spirit...

Old 28-04-2021, 11:10   #116
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If I wasn’t in the middle of finishing my final assignment for my theology degree, I’d take some time here to explain all the ways you’re doing it wrong. But I am in the middle of finishing my theology degree, so I won’t. Plus, we’re veering off the topic.

Suffice it to say that the Bible is not a rule book. It does present a rule for life, but that’s not the same thing, and living by it can’t be achieved by quoting individual verses out of context. The Sermon on the Mount, from which you are quoting, is a great example of that, because if you try to follow it like a list of rules it’s impossible to achieve.

If you did try to do it that way, then a fully Christianised culture of the sort you have argued we are, would have reacted to Matthew 5:38-40 by closing down its courts: “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.” Yet no country in Christendom ever did so, and quite rightly because despite first appearances, judicial process is not what’s in view here.

Jesus’ rule of live is brilliant, the absolute best, and I’m delighted you’re attentive to it, but a rule of life, and a list of rules, are not the same thing. The Sermon on the Mount is the former.
First, I hope you sail through your theology degree.
As regards whether or not Cummings should be held to a higher standard than the public at large, I think you've failed to prove your case.

Earlier, you prayed the bible in aid to make the case for Judeo-Christian culture holding the likes of Cummings to greater account than ordinary people. Where the bible supports this notion is in relation to "teachers", who were Rabbis seeking directly to preach/influence the people. That is not relevant to a civil servant in the UK.

In your latest response, you appear to row back and say that the bible is not a rule book. Then why did you try and make the case against Cummings in the first place?

By contrast, Matthew 7 covers my point exactly in nearly plain English. "Do not judge, or you too will be judged".

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Bless you!

---------- Post added at 11:10 ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 ----------

Quote:
In spirit...

To quote from your signature:

Quote:
There is always light.
If only we’re brave enough to see it.
If only we’re brave enough to be it.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 12:23   #117
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Good grief, who the hell cares if he made a comment or not.

I dare anyone anywhere to state they have never made a flippent comment at one time or another or said they will do something they clearly wont really do ("I'll kill you if you do that" is a common one). No such policy was implemented, bodies did not pile high, we had 3 lockdowns.

Its just more mud slinging for the sake of mud slinging.
I would suggest that the majority of people outside of Westminster really couldn't give a toss, and after the last 14 months, is this what our elected representatives think we want them to spending time on!
Old 28-04-2021, 13:01   #118
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

No wonder BoJo was rattled in PMQs and avoided the question.

Quote:
Watchdog to investigate PM's flat renovations

The watchdog has been in contact with the Conservative Party since March over works the PM carried out to No 11.

But it has now announced it is "satisfied that there are reasonable grounds to suspect that an offence or offences may have occurred".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56915307
Old 28-04-2021, 16:30   #119
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Boris Johnson will have the final say on whether he breached the ministerial code over the Downing Street flat, Number 10 has revealed.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...ies-flat-pmqs/
Now there's a surprise !

What beats me is why he needs a loan of a few quid for a bit of painting ; His net worth is estimated at £3million. Maybe thats his escape fund for when he needs to flee the authorities/country?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 16:35   #120
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...ies-flat-pmqs/
Now there's a surprise !

What beats me is why he needs a loan of a few quid for a bit of painting ; His net worth is estimated at £3million. Maybe thats his escape fund for when he needs to flee the authorities/country?
It's a lot of fuss over a lick of paint and a few rolls of wallpaper, but he should resign if the wallpaper clashes with the cushions.