Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 29-04-2019, 21:12   #721
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
We saw it closing down at midnight on Friday Night.

It was only on Virgin for 14 months - we think it was on an roll over deal (ABN or Virgin can bin deal anytime and give 28days notice).

But Virgin did move ABN over to MPEG4.
Seemed a pointless move to convert it to MPEG4!

IIRC, didn't this black channel replace a standalone black film channel called Nollywood? I think that Nollywood then became available to all customers on Mix and above.

Nollywood then closed down on Sky and VM. On VM ABN replaced it and on Sky it was replaced by the FTA channel 'Retro Movies'. It was though that this was just a placeholder to keep and sell on their EPG slot, but It's still broadcasting and they announced the other day that they will be joining Freesat within the next three months. Maybe they will join VM too??

Retro Movies is like a poor man's Talking Pictures TV
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-04-2019, 15:27   #722
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Seemed a pointless move to convert it to MPEG4!
And it was only done on April 15th.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 16:14   #723
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Keep It Country TV is to change its name to Spotlight TV, to reflect that the channel is also featuring a lot of programmes that are not country oriented.

CEO Phil Mack has assured viewers on his weekly show that the core format will remain as country music, but the name change will reflect the fact that increasingly popular non country shows are also now also attracting large audiences to the channel.

Courtesy of nodrogd.
Old 30-04-2019, 20:24   #724
fox35
cf.addict

Services: V6 x2, Bigger Bundle, Maxit TV & M350, Talk Wkends
fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Keep It Country TV is to change its name to Spotlight TV, to reflect that the channel is also featuring a lot of programmes that are not country oriented.

CEO Phil Mack has assured viewers on his weekly show that the core format will remain as country music, but the name change will reflect the fact that increasingly popular non country shows are also now also attracting large audiences to the channel.

Courtesy of nodrogd.
So what does this have to do with Virgin TV???..let alone this thread?
fox35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 22:56   #725
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I erroneously thought that KIC was on VM, you could have just pointed that out instead of trying to be clever. It's Total Country that's on VM.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:37   #726
fox35
cf.addict

Services: V6 x2, Bigger Bundle, Maxit TV & M350, Talk Wkends
fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I erroneously thought that KIC was on VM, you could have just pointed that out instead of trying to be clever. It's Total Country that's on VM.
Apologies in retrospect, for any ill feeling.
BTW I do wish we had KIC on VM instead of TC, from what Ive seen, it has far more superior output for true country fans (myself included) than the rather more new music sound of TC which seems to have a 90s/00s vibe about it.
fox35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 20:35   #727
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Pop Power looks like it will be added to VM, as it's now showing as included in the Player and above: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bundles/player-bundle
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 21:07   #728
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox35 View Post
Apologies in retrospect, for any ill feeling.
BTW I do wish we had KIC on VM instead of TC, from what Ive seen, it has far more superior output for true country fans (myself included) than the rather more new music sound of TC which seems to have a 90s/00s vibe about it.
Thanks.

I don't understand why country music channels don't appear to be successful. One of the most requested channel returns is Country Music Television, yet it has now deviated from country music even in America.

And now Keep It Country is watering down it's offering to the extent that it's changing name! Incidentally, this has now been officially announced by the owner on Twitter.
Old 01-05-2019, 21:39   #729
MyBraiNz
cf.member

MyBraiNz is an unknown quantity at this point

Cant remember if Virgin said all of the 'football' or 'sport' in one place?

I'm sure the Amazon App coming to VM is a major part of this after Amazon bought the rights to 20 matches a season from 2019-2022.

I honestly think it'll just be the app and we'll have to subscibe to it just like we do with the Netflix app.

These 20 matches on Amazon will be free for Prime members.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44396151
MyBraiNz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 22:23   #730
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Thanks.

I don't understand why country music channels don't appear to be successful. One of the most requested channel returns is Country Music Television, yet it has now deviated from country music even in America.

And now Keep It Country is watering down it's offering to the extent that it's changing name! Incidentally, this has now been officially announced by the owner on Twitter.
I think with KIC it’s partially the old “all the eggs in one basket” syndrome. With Vintage TV not around anymore they are cashing in on the people that used to be the fans of that channel as well. Since Total County came along the tag line has changed to “Country music & more”, so the name change is a natural progression.
Nobody can say that country music is not a popular format here. Any gigs by US artists over here sell out within minutes of tickets going on sale. The Irish acts (that Total Country ignores) are also constantly on tour over here, so the market is buoyant. There is also Chris Country radio appearing on more and more DAB radio franchises all over the country.

Last edited by nodrogd; 01-05-2019 at 22:28.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 00:15   #731
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
I think with KIC it’s partially the old “all the eggs in one basket” syndrome. With Vintage TV not around anymore they are cashing in on the people that used to be the fans of that channel as well. Since Total County came along the tag line has changed to “Country music & more”, so the name change is a natural progression.
Which fans though? Vintage TV was very different at the end compared to when it started. Personally I preferred it at the start when it was all videos and they did eras way back until the 1920s. After they started doing 80s,90s and own content with new artist material it was a very different entity. I wish they'd created a Vintage TV 2 for the newer stuff, it was still worth doing (I love all eras of music) but they dumped the earlier eras to do it.

Anyways I'm getting way off topic, so I'll shut up now.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:11   #732
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBraiNz View Post
Cant remember if Virgin said all of the 'football' or 'sport' in one place?

I'm sure the Amazon App coming to VM is a major part of this after Amazon bought the rights to 20 matches a season from 2019-2022.

I honestly think it'll just be the app and we'll have to subscibe to it just like we do with the Netflix app.

These 20 matches on Amazon will be free for Prime members.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44396151
They have said both in the past.

https://store.virginmedia.com/sport/index.html
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 14:14   #733
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Which fans though? Vintage TV was very different at the end compared to when it started. Personally I preferred it at the start when it was all videos and they did eras way back until the 1920s. After they started doing 80s,90s and own content with new artist material it was a very different entity. I wish they'd created a Vintage TV 2 for the newer stuff, it was still worth doing (I love all eras of music) but they dumped the earlier eras to do it.

Vintage TV Music was recently awarded a licence to broadcast by Ofcom, so it's return is moving along. No idea if it will return to VM though.
Old 02-05-2019, 15:32   #734
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post

I think they've ruined all the music channels - certainly those I used to watch, such as VH-1.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:58   #735
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Thanks.

Probably because not many people like country music it's 50 years out of date
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote