Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Poor Connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Poor Connection

Old 02-12-2020, 17:18   #1
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age
Poor Connection

I have my Hub 3 in modem only mode connected into a PFsense setup which I have run for years and nothing has changed other than the world with Covid!!

In the last year I have to restart my modem every few days as my connection just becomes useable, attached a copy of my broadband quality monitor which shows it. Teams becomes unusable and I am the only one on the connection. I also get it late at night watching YouTube.

Any recommendations where to go with this as I am pulling my hair out and get a better connection via EE 4G connection.

I could reboot the modem now and things will be fine, sometimes it goes days and its ok other times it just a matter of say 24 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: png vm.PNG (206.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-12-2020, 10:34   #2
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Re: Poor Connection

Hi Matt, if you want to PM me your details I can check for utilisation issues in the area for you.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 13:33   #3
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

These are my levels etc.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1.PNG (24.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: png 2a.PNG (89.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: png 2b.PNG (60.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: png 3.PNG (51.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: png 4.PNG (59.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-12-2020, 14:03   #4
weesteev
Cable Guru

weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Hi Matt, power levels look perfect (right in the middle!), unless you see a variation in the signal levels when you experience connectivity problems then I would suggest it isn't an issue with the feed to the property. I think we can safely narrow it down now to either an issue with amplifier during certain peak times or its an issue within your home network where some device(s) are using lots of bandwidth and swamping your connection.

Old 04-12-2020, 14:24   #5
Matthew
cf.mega poster

There is no pattern to when it happens, the spikes can be all over, becomes worse in things like Teams calls and watching YouTube. It just gradually gets like that either during the week or at weekend.
Old 05-12-2020, 22:15   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

yeah, that graph isn't good at all but all your power levels and snr etc are mint.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:13   #7
weesteev
Cable Guru

It could be ingress causing an issue, are all the connections in the home tight enough? If you have a loose connection somewhere it can cause more of an issue than you might believe. If not, then its definitely time to get an engineer appointment booked, as I confirmed in a PM there is no network utilization issues in the area that are causing this issue.

Old 07-12-2020, 18:27   #8
Matthew
cf.mega poster

One of the first things I checked, even took them out and put them back in and all secure.

Interesting though since Friday it looks 100% better already, I've had a couple of dropped packets but nothing to note. Just monitoring to see how I get on, nothing changed at my end either.
Old 07-12-2020, 22:20   #9
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Keep an eye on the weather too, see if it correlates. Rain water getting into a pit or just running down cables and into a poorly sealed junction can cause all sorts of inconsistent issues. An engineer can test for earthing/cable faults, too, but it can be a pig to catch it sometimes.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 22:33   #10
Matthew
cf.mega poster

There is no pattern weather wise, been pulling my hair out for months, just every few days it would go. In theory by the end of the week I should know if its going to play up.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:35   #11
Matthew
cf.mega poster

So had nearly a week of good service and it went this morning.

You can see the service deteriorating by the graph to the point I had to reboot. I checked my levels and attached the downstream levels.
Attached Images
File Type: png monitor.PNG (272.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png 2a.PNG (90.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: png 2b.PNG (60.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-12-2020, 09:44   #12
weesteev
Cable Guru

Power levels are spot on, as long as they fall between 33 and 50dB then you are good (as long as it is not extremely close to either level!).

Can you confirm there is nothing else happening on your connection at this time, network congestion here is less than 40% at this time and there are no other faults reported in the area. To me this looks like something could be updating at this time and causing your bandwidth to be consumed quickly. Do you have anything running like Steam or any games consoles in the house that go on at this time?

Old 09-12-2020, 09:54   #13
Matthew
cf.mega poster

There is just literally me in the house with a laptop and PC which were both off, phone and Sky box. Looking at my Unifi there is no traffic what so ever on them and they have been connected hours.

It's gone a week without a reboot so doing better than I was but still odd.

---------- Post added at 08:54 ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 ----------

Did a speed test too before I rebooted and I got 250 down.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:57   #14
weesteev
Cable Guru

Is it a Sky Q box, is it possibly downloading on demand content? Seems strange that it happens at the same time every time you have an issue? If it was network congestion, even locally, it would happen a lot more often than you are seeing.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:17   #15
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Nothing set to download on it and has barely used any data. I just it all a bit odd, when it happens everything grinds to a halt but fast.com gives me 250 on download, restart modem and away we go back to normal.