Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Unable to record

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Unable to record

Old 15-02-2019, 12:35   #1
chrispy2000
cf.addict

Services: Maxit,V6, BB 100Mb, Virgin Mobile
chrispy2000 is on a distinguished roadchrispy2000 is on a distinguished road
Unable to record

I have a couple of times tried to record a program on the Forces Tv channel. Both times it has failed to record. Is this just my box or is there something that for some reason you can’t record on that channel?
Any advice please.
chrispy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-02-2019, 12:40   #2
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Unable to record

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy2000 View Post
I have a couple of times tried to record a program on the Forces Tv channel. Both times it has failed to record. Is this just my box or is there something that for some reason you can’t record on that channel?
Any advice please.
It might well be a fault but others who know more then l might know more.
Old 15-02-2019, 12:48   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy2000 View Post
Any advice please.
I've successfully recorded programmes from Forces TV (Special Branch), but sometimes find that (on all channels) a recording fails because the show was on the EPG and then subsequently changed.

I usually check to see if this is the case by going backwards on the EPG and then going into 'Recording Hiccups' to search for another planned showing of the relevant programme.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 12:49   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Go into Home -> My Shows & Recordings -> Recording Hiccups, and it should tell you why they didn't record.

You can also check My Planned Recordings to view the status of upcoming recordings. You may need to press the blue button until it says "show (all)".

What programme it is?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 13:29   #5
chrispy2000
cf.addict

Thanks for all your replies
Old 15-02-2019, 14:02   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Go into Home -> My Shows & Recordings -> Recording Hiccups, and it should tell you why they didn't record.

You can also check My Planned Recordings to view the status of upcoming recordings. You may need to press the blue button until it says "show (all)".

What programme it is?
Sometimes Recording Hiccups is wrong though. I've found programmes in there that had actually successfully recorded (though sometimes this is due to it recording the HD version & not the SD version and vice versa). Other times it simply gives an incorrect reason eg "no longer in guide".

As a result, I don't take much notice of the reasons given and just check if it was shown via going backwards on the EPG, check whether it did actually record or not and, if not, search for a repeat showing. If it hasn't set a future recording up automatically, I set a manual recording.

If it was shown, but TiVo didn't record it and it isn't available via VOD, I set up a Wishlist for things I really want to see.
Old 15-02-2019, 18:24   #7
chrispy2000
cf.addict

All sorted.
Normally when I set a program to record it'll record anything new or old. I checked the recording setting for this recording and for some reason this time it was set for new only. I've reset this to everything and hope it'll work next time.
Thanks everyone who replied
Old 16-03-2019, 12:07   #8
paul2908
cf.member

paul2908 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Unable to record

i got a new v6 box with my new contract which started last november. fpr shows that start in the next week or so, i use series link. for those that are coming in the long term i use wishlist search.
i have the new only option set & have ticked the no suggestions box. however, i am receiving dozens of tv episodes i have not asked for or want. i give all these the 3 thumbs down but the same shows keep re-appearing.
i phoned customer services on wednesday & went through the usual reboot etc which solved nothing.
i tried live chat this morning with exactly the same advice & result.
can anyone help? i asked the advisor today if i could have an engineer visit & he refused
paul2908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 12:46   #9
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

It sounds like your WishLists are too general. It's very easy to accidentally create WishLists that match far more programmes than you intended. You can see which programmes match in advance, so you don't need to wait for them to record.

But really WishLists are intended for finding programmes that match something or someone you are interested in but don't know specific details. If you know exactly which programmes you want, a better approach would be to just use Series Links. You can set them up as soon as the programme first appears in the guide data (usually 2 weeks in advance of the first episode being broadcast).

ps. Welcome to the forum!

---------- Post added at 11:46 ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 ----------

Just to add: Marking things with thumbs up or down only affects Suggestions, which you've turned off anyway. Thumbs-downed programmes would still get recorded if they match a WishList

Last edited by spiderplant; 16-03-2019 at 13:40.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 13:22   #10
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Also the default for Wishlists is to record things that they find, if you just want them to list them you need to switch auto-record off.

To do this go to Search & Discover->MyWishList Searches->My WishLists->YourWishlistNameGoesHere (e.g.Sport:Tennis)->WishList Info->Auto-record this WishList->Options

This brings up the WishList Recording Options screen, and Auto-record is near the top. You just change it from Yes to No and then click Save With These Options.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 11:53   #11
paul2908
cf.member

thanks for the advice & help angus. much appreciated. i've done as you said & we'll see how it goes.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:03   #12
paul2908
cf.member

hi, in the apps/games section of my v6 box, there are a total of 33 apps. the iplayer is one of them. however, there is no all4, itv, demand5 or ch4 app. i phoned virgin about this & was told 'if it's not there, you can't have it. why is that? can anyone help please?
Old 12-04-2019, 08:42   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Are you in Scotland? If so, maybe you get STV Player instead.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:02   #14
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2908 View Post
hi, in the apps/games section of my v6 box, there are a total of 33 apps. the iplayer is one of them. however, there is no all4, itv, demand5 or ch4 app. i phoned virgin about this & was told 'if it's not there, you can't have it. why is that? can anyone help please?
You are right. I think these apps used to be in the apps and games section, but you will now find them in 'Catch Up' in the on demand section.

I think the reason for that is to avoid confusion with the full apps with much more content, which we do not have access to at present on Virgin. I wonder if they may also be planning to give us the full apps of those channels soon? I certainly hope so.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:51   #15
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2908 View Post
All4 , ITV Hub and My5 content is delivered via VM's on-demand delivery systems, there aren't apps for Channel 4, ITV and Channel 5, respectively, on VM. The full amount of content offered by those apps on other devices is not available, just a large selection of it, mostly catch-up, not many boxsets and the like (e.g. you can get other broadcaster's content via All4 and My5 smartTV/stick/mobile/tablet apps, but those broadcasters will likely have separate deals with VM so their content will hopefully be available elsewhere in the V6 menus under that broadcaster's logo).

The BBC offers its full (TV) service since it has its (TV) iPlayer app on Virgin Media. If you are in Scotland you also get the STV Player app, which has a mixture of ITV content (it being an ITV region) and its own archive. These apps work via the internet, not via VM's systems like with ITV/C4/C5 content.

I don't use the Apps & Games menu, I use a combination of the Catch-up and On-Demand menus (on the sub-menus you'll see the various ITV Hub, 4 and My5 logos present there) and pressing Red Button on BBC channels as another way to launch the iPlayer, BBC News and Sport apps.

Basically Paul much of what you are looking for, content-wise, is there. You just need to use different menus than you were using. I recommend setting aside half an hour and just browsing around the V6 menus familiarising yourself with what is where. There are some menus you'll find you'll never use once you know your way about. Plus there are some shortcut remote presses to get to certain areas quicker e.g. to get to Planner with less presses (press 2 on the remote from the Home menu).

Last edited by cheekyangus; 12-04-2019 at 11:02.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote