Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No more free V6 upgrades?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

No more free V6 upgrades?

Old 01-02-2019, 16:52   #1
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice
No more free V6 upgrades?

Its the time of year for me to renegotiate my contract with VM,
I'm ok with the outcome but when I asked about getting my crappy Tivo box upgraded to a V6 I was told I'd have to pay £99 for it which I declined.

As I only use my Tivo on rare occasions (mainly for PPV sports) I'm not overly fussed by this and the package I got was only a couple of quid cheaper per month to ditch TV altogether, but unless I missed it I haven't seen anything about free V6 upgrades being discontinued.
So my question is have the free upgrades stopped or was I the agent I dealt with misinformed?
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2019, 17:09   #2
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: No more free V6 upgrades?

The free upgrade program for the first TiVo on an account was stopped last April.
Since then the focus has been in replacing those boxes which will soon become obsolete on the cable network. That does not include TiVo.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 18:01   #3
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
The free upgrade program for the first TiVo on an account was stopped last April.
Since then the focus has been in replacing those boxes which will soon become obsolete on the cable network. That does not include TiVo.
Only a matter of time before it does include TiVo. Happy with mine for the time being, links well with the V6, and an extra output via scart can be handy. iPlayer now works fine on it too, presumably there is less pressure on the network with people taking the V6.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 18:34   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Is the old TiVo still dreadfully slow?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 20:05   #5
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
yeah its slow. but so am i
Old 01-02-2019, 20:39   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Haha It used to really annoy me, but it probably isn't too bad if it's something like a bedroom box.
Old 01-02-2019, 21:56   #7
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:

I still like my old Tivo, yes painfully slow but as you say the scart is immensely useful for (in my case) piping the RF feed around the house. The video quality is surprisingly good.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 22:23   #8
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Only a matter of time before it does include TiVo. Happy with mine for the time being, links well with the V6, and an extra output via scart can be handy. iPlayer now works fine on it too, presumably there is less pressure on the network with people taking the V6.
I have also noticed that Tivo has been a lot better in the last six months. Not as quick as a Smart TV ,but a lot better than it used to be.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 22:51   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
I still like my old Tivo, yes painfully slow but as you say the scart is immensely useful for (in my case) piping the RF feed around the house. The video quality is surprisingly good.
They say that removing all the thumbs up/down suggestions speeds it up.
Old 01-02-2019, 22:56   #10
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
They say that removing all the thumbs up/down suggestions speeds it up.

I don't use them but it's still slow, however I can live with it
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:46   #11
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Well it's not the quickest at loading iPlayer, and processing 300-odd series links can take a few minutes, and I'm sure the V6 is a lot quicker, but... I wouldn't say dreadfully slow to be fair. Definitely quicker recently too, since the whole multiple tuner software update.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:03   #12
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Well it's not the quickest at loading iPlayer, and processing 300-odd series links can take a few minutes, and I'm sure the V6 is a lot quicker, but... I wouldn't say dreadfully slow to be fair. Definitely quicker recently too, since the whole multiple tuner software update.
Not heard of a multiple tuner update, what did that do? It's good that it's not as bad as it was; when I had mine it could take a minute to start playing a recording!

If I had a TiVo in my bedroom, i'd delete all the thumbs up/down info and only use this feature on the V6. This way I think i'd get the benefit of suggestions without it slowing down the TiVo.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:11   #13
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Not heard of a multiple tuner update, what did that do? It's good that it's not as bad as it was; when I had mine it could take a minute to start playing a recording!

If I had a TiVo in my bedroom, i'd delete all the thumbs up/down info and only use this feature on the V6. This way I think i'd get the benefit of suggestions without it slowing down the TiVo.
My Tivo loads a recording in less than 5 seconds.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:15   #14
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:

Nah, TiVo is too bright and noisy as a bedtime companion . I use it as my main box downstairs, the V6 is relegated to the bedroom where it can be hidden away nice and quiet in cupboard as it doesn't direct line of sight for the remote. As the 2 boxes link doesn't really matter that much.
Old 02-02-2019, 13:13   #15
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:

There were probably other changes under the UI I'm sure. But this was the software update that removed the ability on TiVo to view the channels that all 3 tuners were tuned to. If multiple tuners are recording, then you can still view them via the recordings list, but you can't have multiple tuners buffering multiple channels anymore.

There was a very lengthy thread on the official VM forum about it, a few posters who for whatever reason, didn't want to record programs but buffer them instead. Each to their own I suppose. But if that's the price of improving overall performance by having tuners go into standby when they're not being used, well I've settled on the "yes please" side of the fence.

As for the time taken to load a recording, I'd have to concur with alwaysabear - it's certainly only a few seconds. And my suggestions have been switched off since the first hour I had the box.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote