Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Train Spotters Corner

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

New boiler recommendations

Old 12-03-2021, 13:00   #1
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
New boiler recommendations

Hi all,

I moved into a new place last year and the boiler is about 20 years old and isn't operating as efficiently as it should. No surprise really seeing it's age.

I'm keen to get it replaced in the summer and wondered what you would all recommend.

The current setup: A system boiler with hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard upstairs. There are then water tanks in the loft that I'm keen to get out of there too.

What I would like is a new combi boiler and to rip out the old tanks in the loft and also the big hot water cylinder which would free up space.

It is a 4 bedroom house, one bathroom with bath, and one en suite which has a shower.
We would quite like to be able to have baths and shower at the same time so I'm thinking it's going to have to be a pretty powerful Combi.

What would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2021, 13:16   #2
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Re: New boiler recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Hi all,

I moved into a new place last year and the boiler is about 20 years old and isn't operating as efficiently as it should. No surprise really seeing it's age.

I'm keen to get it replaced in the summer and wondered what you would all recommend.

The current setup: A system boiler with hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard upstairs. There are then water tanks in the loft that I'm keen to get out of there too.

My changed my boiler to a Woster Boch

What I would like is a new combi boiler and to rip out the old tanks in the loft and also the big hot water cylinder which would free up space.

It is a 4 bedroom house, one bathroom with bath, and one en suite which has a shower.
We would quite like to be able to have baths and shower at the same time so I'm thinking it's going to have to be a pretty powerful Combi.

I changed my boiler to a Woster Boch
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 13:46   #3
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Pretty sure you will struggle there.

By design the combi system provides hot water on demand direct from the cold supply. Therefore your ability to run things simultaneously is governed by the incoming water pressure to your property.

Even running a cold tap will affect your hot supply.
Old 12-03-2021, 14:39   #4
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Pressure is pretty powerful straight out the tap. I've heard good things about Worcester Bosh.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 14:44   #5
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

We've got a combi and as Julian says there can be issues with the setup you're looking for. A couple of things we did to try and mitigate issues were to get one with the best domestic hot water flow rate we could as the KW ratings they are labelled with are normally based on the central heating output. We ended up with a Worcester Bosch capable of heating much more than a 3 bedroom detached but it has a decent hot water flow. The other thing we did was to get a thermostatic valve for the shower so when a hot tap is turned on elsewhere then the water doesn't just run cold as the valve adjusts the flow on the cold supply to try and maintain the temperature with the resulting reduced flow on the hot. It's not a perfect solution but it makes the shower more usable.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 15:09   #6
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

We have thermostatic shower so don't need an extra but that's by the by.

From memory on the Worcester/Bosch site their combi's have same rating on heating but differ on hot water so pick one to suite your water needs.

On Which? Valient were tops with engineers for fixing/repairs and WB for being great boilers, either brand would likely be fine.

You may(likely) need to update your heating controls. Combi won't need hot water controls/timer. Many controllers have wireless link to the boiler so you can site it more flexibly.
Old 12-03-2021, 15:58   #7
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Our Baxi combi was a total lemon. Almost every part was swapped to make it work, but in the end it was exchanged for a Worcester-Bosch.

But they, too, have common problems. The pressure control bladder develops pinholes that spray out small amounts of water from underneath. The unit has to removed from the wall before it is simply unplugged, one screw removed, then the unit replaced. The part is only £40, but a tech can charge £100+ to do the job. Plus the flue has to be replaced every few years as it corrodes from within. Many heating techs I know don't like them due to the amount of plastic parts that can also develop pinholes.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 21:13   #8
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Hi all,

If its 'not broke don't fix it'? Any efficiency saving from a new boiler will take decades to recover. Plus new boilers break down regularly, where the old ones keep going, as you've found.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 22:36   #9
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I kept my unvented cylinder so i can run two showers at once, i couldn't do that with a combi
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 22:55   #10
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
I changed my boiler to a Woster Boch
Another vote here for Worcester and Bosch.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 23:25   #11
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Hi all,

You could try Boxt, they're a very good company IMO and it's all done online, you just provide various details including photos they ask for. You get asked about how many radiators, bathrooms etc and they will suggest a range of suitable boilers. If there's a problem with the water pressure there are things they may be able to do to mitigate it. I ended up getting a Worcester Bosch with them and it has been excellent.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 23:31   #12
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
If its 'not broke don't fix it'? Any efficiency saving from a new boiler will take decades to recover. Plus new boilers break down regularly, where the old ones keep going, as you've found.
Beg to differ - we got a condenser boiler fitted 14 years ago, and it cut or gas bill by around 30%, which meant it took just over 10 years to pay back, and after that, more savings.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 23:39   #13
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

We've had our Worcester Bosch combi 8.5 years now, we get it serviced every year to keep it under waranty, the only thing to have gone wrong with it was the timer a few months ago, but that wasn't too expensive to have done.

When we had it fitted. the company recommend worcester bosch, as with a service you get 7 year guarantie, and they're reliable. The guy said they could supply cheaper ones, some less than half the price BUT, they only had 2 year guaranty and he said sometimes some of the cheaper ones they have trouble getting the parts. So I guess it's like a lot of things, do you want to risk having to buy a brand new one every couple of years, or spend a bit more and hope you get your money's worth

We had to have central heating installed, so they measured up the rooms, sized the radiators, and worked out what size boiler we'd need bearing that in mind, and number of people in the house.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 23:41   #14
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Beg to differ - we got a condenser boiler fitted 14 years ago, and it cut or gas bill by around 30%, which meant it took just over 10 years to pay back, and after that, more savings.
I actually agree with your point and also Mr K's. The older boilers do seem to be more robust parts wise from experience but are far less energy efficient, so from a carbon saving POV then new boilers are the way to go . We got a condensor combi about 18 months ago and it's worked very well so far, but time will tell how much maintenance it needs in the future.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 10:43   #15
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Depends how many times it breaks down. Everyone with a new boiler I know has to keep getting engineers out or get another new one. Not saying we shouldn't get more efficient boilers, just not chuck away things that work which has its own environmental cost.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote