Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | A few questions about the box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

A few questions about the box

Old 03-04-2018, 14:12   #1
Central

Services: Sky + HD family pack 50mb XXL Phone M Sutton Coldfield TX
Central is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of society
A few questions about the box

I currently have Sky Q but I am very close to moving over to Virgin. I quite like there VIP bundle

Anyway just a few questions

1. The package comes with two boxes. I understand these work the same as Sky Q so I will be able to watch different channels, record from both boxes, etc. But will one recording be available on both boxes? For instance if I record a show on the box downstairs can I then watch it upstairs?

2. Do the boxes like Sky Q act as wireless hotspots?

3. Has the V6 box now become better? I seem to remember the interface used to be very slow and clunky?

Many thanks
Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2018, 14:23   #2
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: A few questions about the box

1. Yes although check limitations on channels not sure if these still exist.
2. No
3. Same interface far faster than old TiVo.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 14:27   #3
Central

Central is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of society

To be honest quite dissapointed at number 2. I have found it quite useful.
Old 03-04-2018, 17:13   #4
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

From what I understand the recording is on the box it was recorded on but there may be a way to watch the recording on the other STB if they are networked together?

however each STB does need its own cable feed. Its not like the Q where the mini boxes just stream channels and recordings from the main Q box.
Old 03-04-2018, 18:14   #5
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
From what I understand the recording is on the box it was recorded on but there may be a way to watch the recording on the other STB if they are networked together?

however each STB does need its own cable feed. Its not like the Q where the mini boxes just stream channels and recordings from the main Q box.
Yes, I'm not sure about the significance of that question, but two or more V6s can be linked by wifi so that you can watch programmes from a second or third box.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 18:15   #6
Central

SO tempted now. Got a friend to give me mates rates and I can get the VIP bundle for £71 for 12 months.

It is such a good deal. As long as the router is decent I should be ok with out the hotspots
Old 03-04-2018, 18:28   #7
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

While V6 boxes can operate on WiFi, a lot of people are finding that this is inadequate due to the high data rates required for streaming. The recommended connection method is Ethernet (either direct or via Powerline kit). I myself have just had to give up on using WiFi for my V6's as all 2.4 & 5Ghz WiFi channels are now saturated where I live.
I will also point out that all VM kit (Hub & both V6 boxes) require a coaxial connection to VM's network as well.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:21   #8
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
While V6 boxes can operate on WiFi, a lot of people are finding that this is inadequate due to the high data rates required for streaming. The recommended connection method is Ethernet (either direct or via Powerline kit). I myself have just had to give up on using WiFi for my V6's as all 2.4 & 5Ghz WiFi channels are now saturated where I live.
I will also point out that all VM kit (Hub & both V6 boxes) require a coaxial connection to VM's network as well.

Mmm, my V6 loses its WiFi connection about once a week. The WiFi and other devices are fine so that's not the issue. Not a big deal as reconnecting the WiFi in settings seems to get it back. Still rather do that than messing about with powerlines etc. Maybe they can fix with an update, its obviously the box at fault, the speeds should be ample for streaming, and I don't use a lot of other devices.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:15   #9
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Mmm, my V6 loses its WiFi connection about once a week. The WiFi and other devices are fine so that's not the issue. Not a big deal as reconnecting the WiFi in settings seems to get it back. Still rather do that than messing about with powerlines etc. Maybe they can fix with an update, its obviously the box at fault, the speeds should be ample for streaming, and I don't use a lot of other devices.
Just as likely to be your WiFi environment.
Which Superhub do you have?
If Hub 3.0, Have you created separate SSIDs for the two WiFi bands?
Are you connected to the 5GHz WiFi?
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:25   #10
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Just as likely to be your WiFi environment.
Which Superhub do you have?
If Hub 3.0, Have you created separate SSIDs for the two WiFi bands?
Are you connected to the 5GHz WiFi?
Why is it only the V6 that loses connection then ? Other streaming devices don't.

Got a SH2ac in modem mode and using my own dual band router. Was in 5ghz (which i know should be better), but now trying 2ghz, strangely seem to be getting a stonger signal with that and its not lost connection so far on that. Might try router mode though not convinced that's the issue as others in router mode have the same problem. Not finding i have to stream between boxes much anyway as the series links were all copied !

The only the other thing to try is the 'always on' power, but not really happy with that option.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 14:23   #11
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
now trying 2ghz, strangely seem to be getting a stonger signal
That's normal. The 2.4GHz signal gets attenuated less when going through things. But it's usually slower too.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 14:37   #12
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Not sure you are selling well . Every time I read something I wonder why I should bother. My wife has just used the Tivo in the first time for over a year. Forgot how slow it was . Saw V6 at friends house. Thought its somewhat better but still very poor. Would need powerline ( yes I know) but also HDMI splitter. Seems there is just over a months wait & then I would have to collect it From a petrol station. I know its "free" but not impressed.
Will stick with TiVo for the time being. As he also has Netfix and that is so much better via TV than v6. Cant see any reason to bother.
Old 06-04-2018, 15:11   #13
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Not sure you are selling well . Every time I read something I wonder why I should bother. My wife has just used the Tivo in the first time for over a year. Forgot how slow it was . Saw V6 at friends house. Thought its somewhat better but still very poor. Would need powerline ( yes I know) but also HDMI splitter. Seems there is just over a months wait & then I would have to collect it From a petrol station. I know its "free" but not impressed.
Will stick with TiVo for the time being. As he also has Netfix and that is so much better via TV than v6. Cant see any reason to bother.
That hasn't been my experience at all. The slow Tivo I had was driving me up the wall, but the V6 resolved that problem. Works like lightening and actually into Netflix in no time.

I've not had a single issue with either of my two Tivos since having them set up with the right signal.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 15:43   #14
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Haven't tried Netflix on V6 yet but didn't think it was too bad on old TiVo.
iPlayer (and all the BBC stuff) on the V6 is super zoomy though now, so I'd imagine Netflix would benefit the same on V6 and be the as smart tv version speed wise.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 16:13   #15
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

My son has problems with the Youtube App on the V6, something about "loading the application" ?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote