Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | wifi ok but no ethernet ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

wifi ok but no ethernet ?

Old 28-03-2018, 22:44   #1
davemaden
Inactive

davemaden is an unknown quantity at this point
wifi ok but no ethernet ?

i had a superhub 1 and last week ethernet connections all stopped working , so i was sent a superhub 3 and i have connected it and have the same problem , wifi is fine but nothing will connect hardwired . Has anyone any idea why this would be ? i have an engineer coming in 4 days , but is it probable that the problem is in the cabinet outside ? thanks
davemaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-03-2018, 23:03   #2
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road
Re: wifi ok but no ethernet ?

Do you have more than one PC/device connected? If it’s just the one it could be a faulty ethernet cable or perhaps the network card within it is faulty.

If you have multiple devices connected by ethernet, it would be really unlikely that they are all faulty. That’s assuming they are not connected via a switch to the Hub?
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 23:16   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemaden View Post
but is it probable that the problem is in the cabinet outside ? thanks
no because the cabinet solely deals with the outside internet connection to your house and if there was a problem with it you wouldn't have any internet at all. If wifi is working then there isn't anything wrong with your internet connection and it is a configuration issue with the shub (maybe). This is the first time in the shub's existence (for me) that VM can justify manufacturing it) because the tech coming out isn't going to fix anything per se and just needs to know how to fiddle with the shub settings.

Can you reply to the post above and explain what wired devices are connected to your network and whether or not they are directly connected to the shub or to an access layer switch which is connected to the shub.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 07:37   #4
davemaden
Inactive

Thanks , i have a number of things ( pc , Amazon box etc ) hard wired directly to the superhub , and non will connect . Virgin tried to run a test over the phone and said they couldnt complete the test . Everything was working last week on the old SH 1 , and all of a sudden whilst i was on the pc , i lost hardwired connections , so they sent me a SH 3 , and still nothing will hardwire .
Old 29-03-2018, 08:29   #5
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Thanks , i have a number of things ( pc , Amazon box etc ) hard wired directly to the superhub , and non will connect . Virgin tried to run a test over the phone and said they couldnt complete the test . Everything was working last week on the old SH 1 , and all of a sudden whilst i was on the pc , i lost hardwired connections , so they sent me a SH 3 , and still nothing will hardwire .
Can you surf the web via the wifi as you say that's fine?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 09:58   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Can you surf the web via the wifi as you say that's fine?
ya, is wifi working because you can pick up a signal and connect to the network or can you actually get on the internet? Whether it is a wired or wifi connection if the router is okay but it has lost its internet connection it will tell you you are connected but with "limited" connectivity.

Either way, can you take a look at this post, skip step 1 and go to step 2 and let us know what it says. If you have lost your internet connection in the downstream tab you will only have 1 channel listed instead of 20 or so. Also, colour are the light on the shub and are they flashing or solid?
Old 29-03-2018, 10:10   #7
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Is the WiFi picking up from a VM hotspot? If my BB failed, my laptop, tablet, and phone would connect to WiFi from a neighbours VM hotspot.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 13:30   #8
davemaden
Inactive

wifi is working on the router. The lights on the ports of the router are 2 fixed green and 1 occasionally flickering green. In router settings diagnostics say something like "port 1 device 100mbs but not getting 100mbs" .if that makes sense ? Thanks

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:26 ----------

I will try to post screen shot of router status tonight when I'm home.
Old 29-03-2018, 13:40   #9
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Just remembered, I had a similar problem a little while ago. The Wifi was ok but the router couldn't connect to anything else. Had to do a hardware reset. Look for the "button" labelled "reset" and poke something in there to press the button.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 18:10   #10
davemaden
Inactive

i have amazon box directly wired to router with new cable and it says no ethernet device are connected to router . thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot (1).png (162.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: png Screenshot (2).png (187.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: png Screenshot (3).png (176.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: png Screenshot (4).png (172.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: png Screenshot (5).png (210.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot (6)_LI.jpg (662.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: png Screenshot (7).png (198.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 29-03-2018, 18:50   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

very interesting. Those screenshots show that your internet connection is working perfectly so you haven't got anything to worry about in that regard. All your ports on the switch are gigabit ports so the fact that it is saying stuff is running at less than 100mbits means something is wrong and there is probably no communication at all. Even if you weren't actively using any of the devices the leds on the switch would still be flickering because the switch and the devices talk to each other constantly. Out of interest, have you changed any settings in the router part of the shub over the last week and also configured that new setting on the new shub3? I don't think the shub/switch is at fault because getting a new shub would have fixed the problem and it hasn't.

I don't want to ask you to do a factory reset of the shub just yet because I know what an inconvenience it is to set your ssid's and passwords and stuff up again although it may be necessary to get it out of its bricked status.

Can you turn everything off (shub and pc), disconnect all connected wired devices from the shub including Amazon box and whatever else and only connect 1 pc. Turn the shub on first and give it a few minutes to establish its connection to VM and boot up and then turn your pc on let it get a new ip address from the shub.

When you have done this:

a) does the pc have internet access?
b) what does the network icon on the taskbar indicate
c) do you get the same error message in the shub diagnostics

We need to do this for troubleshooting and go through a process of elimination because something is causing the switch to lockup and I have a funny feeling it could be something to do with the Amazon box. I can remember this happening with the shub1 when you had games consoles and stuff hammering it but this is the first time I have heard of it happening with shub3.

If that doesn't work can you go into the shub's gui and put it into mode mode. When you do this the pc will need to be connected to port 1 on the shub1 because port 1 is the only port which will work and for all intents and purposes the shub will be a modem and not a router which means you will lose your wifi temporarily and the other ports on the switch until you turn it back. When you put it in modem mode the shub will reboot and it may be wise to restart your pc as well because if it works your pc will get a proper new wan ip address. You will need to access the shub's gui on http://192.168.100.1 to turn it back to router mode but if you still experience no connectivity you will have to do a factory reset to get it back into router mode and the wifi up and running again.

I am not au fait with the shub's gui because I have only ever used it in modem mode in conjunction with my own router so without mentioning tabs and buttons can you tell me what settings you configured when you set it up such as dhcp, ip address range, any access control list or firewall settings etc. Basically anything you changed from the default.

Last edited by General Maximus; 29-03-2018 at 18:54.
Old 29-03-2018, 19:02   #12
davemaden
Inactive

Thanks for your help. I don't want to change anything in the superhub 3 settings just incase I mess it up and loose the wifi . I haven't altered any settings in either of the routers. I will unplug everything and only connect the pc and see if that works. If not , I will wait for the engineer on Monday and let you know what he says thanks
Old 29-03-2018, 19:25   #13
General Maximus
Ran Away

Ok cool. I have a sneaky suspicion that only having the pc connected will work. Make sure you turn everything off first and then turn the router and pc on one at a time. Everything else can stay turned on, just pull the cables out the back if the shub before you turn it off.
Old 29-03-2018, 21:49   #14
davemaden
Inactive

Your right , pc now works , im still struggling to get the amazon to work , could this be due to a dns server i have on the amazon to enable me to watch kodi ? A very big thanks for you help and patience .
Old 29-03-2018, 22:02   #15
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Your right , pc now works , im still struggling to get the amazon to work , could this be due to a dns server i have on the amazon to enable me to watch kodi ? A very big thanks for you help and patience .
Simple to find out, try another DNS server.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote