Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | A few questions about the box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

A few questions about the box

Old 06-04-2018, 19:14   #16
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: A few questions about the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
My son has problems with the Youtube App on the V6, something about "loading the application" ?
Not just a need for a re-boot, I assume?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2018, 20:58   #17
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
That's normal. The 2.4GHz signal gets attenuated less when going through things. But it's usually slower too.
Interesting. So what wifi speed and signal strength should be sufficient for the V6?
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 21:03   #18
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Interesting. So what wifi speed and signal strength should be sufficient for the V6?
30Mbps is fast enough. The signal strength doesn't matter as long as the connection is fast enough and isn't dropping out
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 21:21   #19
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
30Mbps is fast enough. The signal strength doesn't matter as long as the connection is fast enough and isn't dropping out
Ok I'm getting over 50mbps on 2ghz, and the signal strength is good with no drop outs so far, so guess I'll stick with that. Maybe 5ghz isn't best for the V6 if the router isn't nearby.
Old 06-04-2018, 21:29   #20
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Ok I'm getting over 50mbps on 2ghz, and the signal strength is good with no drop outs so far, so guess I'll stick with that. Maybe 5ghz isn't best for the V6 if the router isn't nearby.
The 2.4ghz didn't work properly for me but 5ghz does, and my hub is on a different floor from my main V6.

I have concluded that there is no general rule you can apply for everyone. Each situation is different and perhaps one needs to try both if the first choice doesn't work. It's also a good idea not to put obstacles in the way of the hub signal!
Old 06-04-2018, 21:35   #21
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The 2.4ghz didn't work properly for me but 5ghz does, and my hub is on a different floor from my main V6.

I have concluded that there is no general rule you can apply for everyone. Each situation is different and perhaps one needs to try both if the first choice doesn't work.It's also a good idea not to put obstacles in the way of the hub signal!
Ah, I'll knock a few walls/floors through then OB
Old 06-04-2018, 21:50   #22
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Ah, I'll knock a few walls/floors through then OB
My walls are quite thick, but the signal still gets through. But I take care not to put anything else in the way of the signal. It's a good idea not to put it in a cupboard and close the doors!
Old 06-04-2018, 23:47   #23
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
My walls are quite thick, but the signal still gets through. But I take care not to put anything else in the way of the signal. It's a good idea not to put it in a cupboard and close the doors!
I have had to give up on WiFi for my second box. 2.4Ghz was a no-go from the start. Despite a strong signal there are at least 8 -10 other neighbours hubs using each of the 3 non overlapping channels. When I installed in Nov last year there was only one other user on 5Ghz so despite only 40% signal strength it worked fine. 6 months later & there are now 8 users on 5Ghz, no uncontended channels & the V6 refuses to stream in HD as a result. Bought myself a cheap Powerline kit from Argos & normal service has resumed.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 17:25   #24
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

not selling it to me.were I saw it is a house pretty close in layout to mine . Just doesn't seem worth the expense and mess to get it set up . His nexflix via V6 was slow against the smart TV. And he
keeps getting the red ring when on V6.wait until problems are sorted out.stay true to never get mark1
Old 07-04-2018, 18:13   #25
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

One thing you can do with a TiVo (I have 3, one is a V6)

My mum went up stairs to watch a recorded program on the box in her room.

My dad finished his program, and started to watch the same program from the start at the same time.
Old 08-04-2018, 17:25   #26
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
One thing you can do with a TiVo (I have 3, one is a V6)

My mum went up stairs to watch a recorded program on the box in her room.

My dad finished his program, and started to watch the same program from the start at the same time.
I only use when in UK for rugby.Or the odd days that business brings me over. My wife hasn't been back for two years or so.so would never Need or use two boxes.Have two TV ,s in different rooms run them both from one box (good old scart). If I want to watch in an other room I simply disconnect and move it.
Old 14-04-2018, 14:17   #27
Central

Services: Sky + HD family pack 50mb XXL Phone M Sutton Coldfield TX
Central is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of society

Decided to cancel Virgin within my 14 day cooling off period. For a number of reasons.

1. Was meant to get up to 350mb. I get the upto. I was getting 40mb on wireless and hit the dizzy spells of 79mb on wired.

2. Within 7 hours I had to restart the V6 box twice. Once because it couldnt get a picture but sound was ok. The info banner still appeared on the screen just no picture. And second because it refused to play a programme recorded on another V6 box in the house.

3. I couldn't get the remotes to pair with either TV and had to continue using the Sky remotes to control them.

4. The V6 interface looks very dated. I just couldn't get to grips with it. Even when I swapped from Sky HD to Sky Q I found the Q interface very easy to use.

5. The WPS button didn't work as it should. Nothing would connect when I used it. After logging into the router I was told there was a WPS error.

I have decided to stick with Sky. I may pay a bit more and get a bit less but everything works as it should.

Last edited by Central; 14-04-2018 at 14:21. Reason: Pathetic spelling
Central is offline   Reply With Quote