Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Forward services nas (qnap) and virgin super hub 3.....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Forward services nas (qnap) and virgin super hub 3.....

Old 01-04-2018, 12:23   #1
wakkaday
cf.addict

wakkaday is an unknown quantity at this point
Forward services nas (qnap) and virgin super hub 3.....

i have a qnap nas and i have selected auto configure router (upnp) which shoud enable forwarding of different services

it does find upnp ok, but at times - the forward services show an error (these are simple ports like web server 8080 etc ) when this happens i can't access the nas away from local network or the dynamic dns url i.e. wakkaday.myqnapcloud.com:8080 etc

i have to restart the router and enable/disable auto configure router and then it kind of works again and i get a message of 'ok' for all the forwarded services

is there a more robust way of making this configurement stick? do i need a another router? will this help and use the superhub as a modem

thanks

---------- Post added at 12:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

https://ibb.co/m0Y5pn
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2018, 21:53   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: forward services nas (qnap) and virgin super hub 3.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post
do i need a another router? will this help and use the superhub as a modem
it might be worth having a google to see if there is a thread about this on another site like the VM Community forum because you can't be the first person to have this problem with the shub. In answer to your question though, yes you are probably going to have to invest in a proper router. Regardless of what the issue is in your case, shub's simply aren't designed to work and function efficiently in the way you want it to and VM don't test them to make sure they can run or support these kinds of services. They assume that anybody who cares enough to buy NAS'/networked devices and run services/vpn's etc over their network is going to care enough/be clever enough to buy their own proper router.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 22:15   #3
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Once you get outside of the "One size fits all" mentality of ISP's then you'll know that the only way to go is have your own router. One that does exactly what you want it to do for your set up.

Some years ago I was offered a free upgrade to the "new" 100Mb service which I accepted if I could stick to the modem and use my own router.

I sent the VM tech away with his tail between his legs when he turned up with a SH1 and wouldn't put it back in the van. He insisted I wouldn't be able to get 100Mb through the modem.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 22:29   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I think i went all the way up to 152mbits on tge ambit300
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 23:43   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Yes it had it's limits (it could have gone to 8 channels d/s IIRC) mainly because VM wouldn't produce the firmware update because they wanted the SH1 and we all know how that turned out.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote