Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Government & Post Election Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Government & Post Election Discussion
Closed Thread

Old 18-03-2018, 01:30   #1201
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Government & Post Election Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
No, it's not. This is a new layer of red tape for small organisations to bear which was not there before. Small organisations did not have to issue privacy notices prior to this legislation, for example.

In any case, this is a perverse piece of legislation that requires all organisations to splurge out the same mantra that could have been set out in law.

I'm glad that you are comfortable with this, Andrew. Clearly, you are not trying to run a small business. I have already seen at first hand the disincentive that this has created.
More Project Fear Old Boy. It will be just fine on 25th May. I've seen it at first hand in both large and small organisations. Sounds like a consultant is having a banquet at someone's expense! A single set of rules will apply to all EU member states which simplifies matters, for example. We can't uninvent digital rights and the predecessor Data Protection Directive was from 1995!
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2018, 12:13   #1202
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
More Project Fear Old Boy. It will be just fine on 25th May. I've seen it at first hand in both large and small organisations. Sounds like a consultant is having a banquet at someone's expense! A single set of rules will apply to all EU member states which simplifies matters, for example. We can't uninvent digital rights and the predecessor Data Protection Directive was from 1995!
You seem completely blind to the additional burden on small organisations.

As I said, I don't have a problem with the principle of the legislation, but the kack handed way it expects the law to be applied. This 'single set of rules' could be applied simply by setting out what is expected of us all rather than have everyone chasing their tails putting in place privacy notices, etc.

Even if that was justified, why has the ICO not made models available? Instead, everybody has to draft from scratch. Do the EU think we have nothing better to do with our time?
Old 18-03-2018, 12:42   #1203
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
You seem completely blind to the additional burden on small organisations.

As I said, I don't have a problem with the principle of the legislation, but the kack handed way it expects the law to be applied. This 'single set of rules' could be applied simply by setting out what is expected of us all rather than have everyone chasing their tails putting in place privacy notices, etc.

Even if that was justified, why has the ICO not made models available? Instead, everybody has to draft from scratch. Do the EU think we have nothing better to do with our time?
Your issue is with how the UK chooses to implement GDPR, not in the privacy and protection that GDPR provides consumers in this new digital age. Your GDPR Project Fear will not come to pass. If some organisations choose to over-engineer their data protection that's their look-out.
Old 19-03-2018, 14:12   #1204
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Your issue is with how the UK chooses to implement GDPR, not in the privacy and protection that GDPR provides consumers in this new digital age. Your GDPR Project Fear will not come to pass. If some organisations choose to over-engineer their data protection that's their look-out.
You seem to be underestimating the impact of the GDPR, and in fact I wonder if you are perhaps being a little complacent about it.

Small organisations did not need privacy agreements until this beast from the EU East came along. Once again, you have ignored the point that all organisations are having to put in place documentation which could have been clauses in the legislation instead.

It's a fine example of EU red tape and I sincerely hope that a future UK government unravels it. If we are to be successful outside the EU, we need less regulation and red tape, not more.
Old 19-03-2018, 14:17   #1205
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You seem to be underestimating the impact of the GDPR, and in fact I wonder if you are perhaps being a little complacent about it.

Small organisations did not need privacy agreements until this beast from the EU East came along. Once again, you have ignored the point that all organisations are having to put in place documentation which could have been clauses in the legislation instead.

It's a fine example of EU red tape and I sincerely hope that a future UK government unravels it. If we are to be successful outside the EU, we need less regulation and red tape, not more.
Where does it state that it needs to be written down? Organisations will take a proportionate approach. The UK has said that this is best practice legislation that will continue in the future. If a consultant has sold you an over-engineered solution and you chose to blame the EU for your buyer remorse there's little I can do.
Old 19-03-2018, 15:40   #1206
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Where does it state that it needs to be written down? Organisations will take a proportionate approach. The UK has said that this is best practice legislation that will continue in the future. If a consultant has sold you an over-engineered solution and you chose to blame the EU for your buyer remorse there's little I can do.
Not a good answer, Andrew. If it's not written down, how do you communicate the privacy policy to those whose personal data you are using? Thought transfer, perhaps?
Old 19-03-2018, 20:35   #1207
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Not a wise use of finances one must say..

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-2017-election
Old 19-03-2018, 21:19   #1208
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Not a good answer, Andrew. If it's not written down, how do you communicate the privacy policy to those whose personal data you are using? Thought transfer, perhaps?
In this day and age when companies like Cambridge Analytica misuse personal data, it's only right that every company guarantees only to process the data for the purpose for which it was given. The size of the company is irrelevant, that should be a basic right.
If you're a small company, internal procedures can be straightforward and proportionate. A standard privacy policy will suffice.
A GDPR industry has crept up, a bit like the millennium bug industry in 1999 with many scare-mongers prophisising gloom and doom to line their pockets. Bad news GDPR consultants, I wasn't fooled in 1999 and I won't be fooled now.
Old 20-03-2018, 08:36   #1209
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
In this day and age when companies like Cambridge Analytica misuse personal data, it's only right that every company guarantees only to process the data for the purpose for which it was given. The size of the company is irrelevant, that should be a basic right.
If you're a small company, internal procedures can be straightforward and proportionate. A standard privacy policy will suffice.
A GDPR industry has crept up, a bit like the millennium bug industry in 1999 with many scare-mongers prophisising gloom and doom to line their pockets. Bad news GDPR consultants, I wasn't fooled in 1999 and I won't be fooled now.
Good grief, Andrew, that EU bubble you are in still shows no sign of bursting! You have completely ignored my point that organisations are having to set out in documentation stuff that should be laid down in law, avoiding massive duplication by every organisation - even tiddlers like residents' associations and clubs.

There is not a problem with protecting personal data. It is the problem of laying down laws in a scattergun manner which ties everyone in knots.

Maybe you should talk to one of the small organisations affected by this and see how happy they are with the GDPR - if they even understand it.

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/4...about-the-GDPR
Old 20-03-2018, 09:04   #1210
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Good grief, Andrew, that EU bubble you are in still shows no sign of bursting! You have completely ignored my point that organisations are having to set out in documentation stuff that should be laid down in law, avoiding massive duplication by every organisation - even tiddlers like residents' associations and clubs.

There is not a problem with protecting personal data. It is the problem of laying down laws in a scattergun manner which ties everyone in knots.

Maybe you should talk to one of the small organisations affected by this and see how happy they are with the GDPR - if they even understand it.

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/4...about-the-GDPR
Nothing in your link supports your wilder assertions and no one would be more surprised than me if ever you did find such a link!! If anything, that link shows what a sensible piece of legislation it is as the excerpt below highlights. I know many small organisations who don't fear progress and know the benefits of having legislation appropriate for the 21st century without over-engineering a solution.
Quote:
Organisations need to ensure they use simple language when asking for consent to collect personal data, they need to be clear about how they will use the information, and they need to understand that silence or inactivity no longer constitutes consent,” he said.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 20-03-2018 at 09:08.
Old 20-03-2018, 10:49   #1211
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

The UK data protection and rights as it stands is incredibly lax compared to other countries in Europe. I have German and Belgian colleagues and the hoops that need to be jumped through are much harder than here in the UK.

In Germany, any employee data collected has to have a reason as to why this data is collected and what it will be used for. For example, if you wanted to measure a call centre performance but not measure individual performance, very strict measures must be taken to anonymise the data so there is no way of tracking back how many calls each individual has taken. If individuals data is captured, the reasons for this data capture is run by the company works council (union) representatives before it can be done.

In Belgium, we had big issues as a number of my companies data servers are based in the US. Our US data servers had to be audited by the Belgian government before this was allowed under Belgian law.

Interestingly, for most personal data, the US isn't very stringent on data protection. The one case I know where there is an exception to this is hospital patient data. This is covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) which is incredibly stringent. Offshoring US patient data is very, very difficult.

GPDR is trying to put a 'one size fits all' approach to data protection which is an admirable aim I suppose. I understand it can be a pain to small businesses to set up compliance and did have the thought if there could be exemptions but then realised what about small law firms, insurance brokers, financial advisors, etc.
Old 20-03-2018, 10:59   #1212
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Nothing in your link supports your wilder assertions and no one would be more surprised than me if ever you did find such a link!! If anything, that link shows what a sensible piece of legislation it is as the excerpt below highlights. I know many small organisations who don't fear progress and know the benefits of having legislation appropriate for the 21st century without over-engineering a solution.
Once again, you've missed my point completely. It is the unnecessary burden on small businesses I am talking about.

As for your link, it talks about businesses being advised to use simple language in their (quite unnecessary but legally required) documentation. Pity they couldn't have used simple language and straight forward means of implementing the requirements in the legislation.
Old 20-03-2018, 11:59   #1213
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Tories heading for 'record all-time low' in London local elections according to new analysis.

Quote:
The number of Conservative councillors in the capital could fall from 604 currently to below 519, the party's lowest ever total back in 1994, experts predict.
Quote:
In total, 4,371 council seats are being contested, with Labour set to make big gains in the 32 London boroughs but the Conservatives poised to do better outside the capital.
https://news.sky.com/story/tories-he...tions-11297224

https://www.ft.com/content/f4cc8a98-...a-7e7563b0b0f4
Old 20-03-2018, 23:03   #1214
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Once again, you've missed my point completely. It is the unnecessary burden on small businesses I am talking about.

As for your link, it talks about businesses being advised to use simple language in their (quite unnecessary but legally required) documentation. Pity they couldn't have used simple language and straight forward means of implementing the requirements in the legislation.
It's necessary and Jon has explained to you why this is so. We're now in the 21st century, not the 19th. Even the week's revelations about Cambridge Analytica should have made you consider your posts more laterally as they could be classified as a small organisation.
Stating on your website in plain language why you are collecting information and the purpose for what it will be used for is not a burden, it's common sense and people are entitled to dealing with organisations that operate in this way. Your suggested approach of telling people that your data is being collected and they should refer to sub-section 7.1.2 of a particular regulation is unfair to most people who are not legally-trained.
Once again, you start off with the the objective of trying to criticise the EU and trying to get the facts to fit your thesis. Like a square peg in a round hole, they don't.
Old 20-03-2018, 23:44   #1215
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

CA only deals with commercial organisations and political organisations so your reference to them is spurious as they do not have dealings with the public.
Closed Thread