Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you just bought?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What have you just bought?

Old 17-01-2024, 16:27   #6391
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: What have you just bought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
How do they play stereo grooves properly? I mean they merge left/right channels so it sounds like true mono!!!!
That happens automatically. On a stereo record, left is on one side of the groove and right on the other. A mono pickup just takes the up and down motion, so picks up both channels equally.

I love the ingenuity of stuff like that. Like how they added colour to a black and white TV signal without stopping B&W TVs working.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-01-2024, 16:49   #6392
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

The local Farm Foods had a special on Snot Poodles. The lad loves them, so I bought 4 of the dozen trays of 12. 39p each, down from 85p due to "low date". But I checked them and they are BBE Jan 2025.
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2024, 17:22   #6393
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
The local Farm Foods had a special on Snot Poodles. The lad loves them, so I bought 4 of the dozen trays of 12. 39p each, down from 85p due to "low date". But I checked them and they are BBE Jan 2025.
What the heck is Snot Poodles?
Old 17-01-2024, 17:24   #6394
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne
The link to Hugh's photos was in my post and if you use the link you can see all the other photo's that the USA ebay seller provided.
I cant believe he is asking 199 for it.... I paid 14.99 at salvation army........ (He didnt even test it as he doesnt have records)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
Just one I found (through Google) on eBay (I don’t own it)
Ahh ok....

Do you have a record player? (Or did ya at 1 time??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
That happens automatically. On a stereo record, left is on one side of the groove and right on the other. A mono pickup just takes the up and down motion, so picks up both channels equally.

I love the ingenuity of stuff like that. Like how they added colour to a black and white TV signal without stopping B&W TVs working.
Yes its amazing how good alot of stuff sounds when mixed to Mono..... Everything is right there........ (I hear some stuff in mono I dont hear in stereo on certain songs)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2024, 10:04   #6395
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
What the heck is Snot Poodles?
Ask Reverend Spooner.
Old 18-01-2024, 18:33   #6396
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I cant believe he is asking 199 for it.... I paid 14.99 at salvation army........ (He didnt even test it as he doesnt have records)

Ahh ok....

Do you have a record player? (Or did ya at 1 time??)

Yes its amazing how good alot of stuff sounds when mixed to Mono..... Everything is right there........ (I hear some stuff in mono I dont hear in stereo on certain songs)
I can't agree with that. Stereo sounds so much richer and fuller. Especially when musicians take advantage for the full sound stage. Making instruments come from either side or fade between them. You would loose out on that in mono. Like a lot of Beatles songs when they started experimenting with stereo they really made good use of it. It really surrounds you.

Then again with new digital stuff you get full spatial audio on music and movies/TV that really gives you a surround sound effect from headphones.
Old 19-01-2024, 11:03   #6397
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

A Business Class return flight, London to LA, for early April.

Bit of background - my wife and I are Springsteen fans (we've seen him three times in the UK); so is her brother (who has recently retired to the UK from the US).

They have never been to see Springsteen together, so my brother-in-law and I have planned a surprise trip for my wife (and my brother-in-law, but it's not a suprise for him, as he's helping arrange it) to see Springsteen in LA (Inglewood) in early April - they will fly out on the Tuesday before the concert, get an AirBnB for the week in Venice Beach or Marina Del Rey, and fly back the Sunday evening..

So, to make it extra special, I've surprised her with a Business Class seat, which means she can sleep on the way back (the seats convert into lie-flat beds).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 11:20   #6398
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
A Business Class return flight, London to LA, for early April.

Bit of background - my wife and I are Springsteen fans (we've seen him three times in the UK); so is her brother (who has recently retired to the UK from the US).

They have never been to see Springsteen together, so my brother-in-law and I have planned a surprise trip for my wife (and my brother-in-law, but it's not a suprise for him, as he's helping arrange it) to see Springsteen in LA (Inglewood) in early April - they will fly out on the Tuesday before the concert, get an AirBnB for the week in Venice Beach or Marina Del Rey, and fly back the Sunday evening..

So, to make it extra special, I've surprised her with a Business Class seat, which means she can sleep on the way back (the seats convert into lie-flat beds).
That is lovely
Old 29-01-2024, 09:48   #6399
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

After 23 years of use we have splashed out on a new bed, Hypnos Wool Origins 10 Super King Zip Link. We went the zip link so my wife can have medium and I firm.

We thought this was expensive but the sales man remarks that some folk spend near ten times that. Zoiks £40k for a bed!!!!
Old 29-01-2024, 10:28   #6400
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Zoiks £40k for a bed!!!!
Why not? Plenty of people spend that on a car, which they use a lot less and doesn't last as long.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 11:03   #6401
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Why not? Plenty of people spend that on a car, which they use a lot less and doesn't last as long.
Yup - don’t skimp (if possible) on beds or carpets.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 16:42   #6402
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

One of the most important decisions to make is buying a bed, You want to be comfortable and not end up with a mattress too hard or so soft
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 09:31   #6403
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

I agree that as we spend on average 33% of our lives asleep a good bed is important. We went for a zip link as I like a firmer bed than my wife. An additional benefit we thought of is that the two parts can be turned and rotated independently which should be easier than trying to manoeuvre a single super-king unit. We aren't getting any younger and don't want this action to leave us needing to stay in bed.
One difference between our Hypnos and the more expensive Vispring is we get 10 years warrantee compared to the 30 years on some of the latter's models.
Still our last bed (Nusleep) cost £900 in 2001, according to the RPI calculations about £1800 today but prices have risen hugely since COVID, materials and energy costs forcing this. If only we had had the money a couple of years ago!
But surely there does come a point where the prices start to get a bit silly. A £40k bed would have to offer a heck of a lot more than £4k. Some makers seem to suggest a double emperor size which is 4m wide, maybe that's the £40k bed .
Old 30-01-2024, 10:04   #6404
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

For 40k I'd expect a bed to be able to travel through time and space aswell.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 10:31   #6405
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

A decent bed / mattress that you can afford (not silly prices), and a decent topper if needed will make the bed last longer. Rotate mattress as required. Carpets though... I have to agree, but we didn't have the choice when we moved in to our place but what we have is still going fine after 20 years. It helps to get a decent carpet cleaner and clean once a year (at least). But now to replace the carpets it's not the cost it's the hassle of it all that's the problem.