Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 28-05-2008, 11:42   #7336
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
"ISPy with my little Webwise"
Uuuum, we had this discussion eons ago which was when my strapline came in "ISPy with my little eye" (above my avatar). We also came up with "ISPy on U". Sorry, don't mean to sound all prissy, but we talk so much, we forget so much . lol
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2008, 11:42   #7337
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
Could you not have a nice, simple anti-webwise avatar and a signature saying something along the lines of "Find out more at " (link to inphormationdesk)?

The avatar could even be something like a big "?"

Then just go and join every thread and talk about whatever the subject is. Don't mention Phorm or webwise.

Good Idea, but don't pick the highest profile thread pick one that's fairly active but slightly under the radar!

It may then last considerably longer before being pulled!
Old 28-05-2008, 11:48   #7338
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
Good Idea, but don't pick the highest profile thread pick one that's fairly active but slightly under the radar!

It may then last considerably longer before being pulled!
Why would they be pulled if the posts are purely on topic? They wouldn't be discussing phorm/webwise and only have avatars/signatures containing links to things that interest them.

EDIT : Thinking about it a bit more. If it was me, I would have an avatar that had a message along the lines of "Shocking news for BT customers" and a signature "Visit my homepage to find out more" which linked to inphormationdesk or perhaps an information page tailored for BT users.

It would probably have a bigger impact if all the anti-phormites over there temporarily used the same avatar and signature. In a couple of hours between you all, you could swamp the whole forum.
Old 28-05-2008, 11:53   #7339
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road

I think the term 'wiretap' is well understood so maybe something like 'web wiretap' ....
Old 28-05-2008, 12:03   #7340
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicz View Post
I think the term 'wiretap' is well understood so maybe something like 'web wiretap' ....
better still ISP Wire Tapping, oh wait you may end up with advert for a plumber

---------- Post added at 12:03 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

Quote:
Why would they be pulled if the posts are purely on topic? They wouldn't be discussing phorm/webwise and only have avatars/signatures containing links to things that interest them.

EDIT : Thinking about it a bit more. If it was me, I would have an avatar that had a message along the lines of "Shocking news for BT customers" and a signature "Visit my homepage to find out more" which linked to inphormationdesk or perhaps an information page tailored for BT users.
They actually pulled one thread or locked it forget which, there was nothing in the posts at all about webwise or phorm but someone did miss spell information they used a PH, they all eyes over there and wont let anything pass that does not comphrom to their world of inphormation.
Old 28-05-2008, 12:58   #7341
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

This is the "hit 'em low, hard, quick, and hook 'em approach..it can be printed and bunged on the works notice board, and it's clear and straightforward, not too much info at once.
Old 28-05-2008, 13:15   #7342
Paul Delaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
share price..

1,200.000 [img]Download Failed (1)[/img] -12.50 -1.03%

As at 28-May-2008 12:57:00

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/e...%20B1WTNC4PHRM

Old 28-05-2008, 13:18   #7343
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Delaney View Post
As at 28-May-2008 12:57:00

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/e...%20B1WTNC4PHRM
for them to be sold someone must be buying them.
Old 28-05-2008, 13:20   #7344
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
for them to be sold someone must be buying them.
Is it the "Shorters" that do that?
Old 28-05-2008, 13:47   #7345
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

QUESTION:

Assume we had in place, God forbid, the current incarnation of the Phorm/Webwise inline system snooping and spying on our raw data. With all the Phorm redirects going on to perform their apparent illegalities in an attempt to hoodwink the system to make it work, could it affect the performance on heavy duty Ajax type calls within the data stream?
Old 28-05-2008, 13:58   #7346
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Could you not have a nice, simple anti-webwise avatar and a signature saying something along the lines of "Find out more at " (link to inphormationdesk)?

The avatar could even be something like a big "?"

Then just go and join every thread and talk about whatever the subject is. Don't mention Phorm or webwise.

EDIT : Looking through other threads there, few people seem to have avatars, so a 'catchy' one will stand out.
Avatars require moderator approval on Beta forums. Sigh...
"Note: You will not be able to select a custom avatar until it has been approved by a moderator."
It really is not a free country over there.
Old 28-05-2008, 14:04   #7347
jelv
Inactive

jelv is an unknown quantity at this point

Are any BT forum users getting emails for watched topics?
Old 28-05-2008, 14:05   #7348
thebarron
Inactive

Services: VM 10mb, phone
thebarron is on a distinguished roadthebarron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
QUESTION:

Assume we had in place, God forbid, the current incarnation of the Phorm/Webwise inline system snooping and spying on our raw data. With all the Phorm redirects going on to perform their apparent illegalities in an attempt to hoodwink the system to make it work, could it affect the performance on heavy duty Ajax type calls within the data stream?
That is what I have been wondering. Most of the sites I have developed over the last few years use that technique.
Old 28-05-2008, 14:19   #7349
Delbuoy
Inactive

Delbuoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelv View Post
Clever!

Edit: Does ISPies work better or worse?

BT developed the line "Its good to talk " soon after privatisation. I think that this is about to become "Its good to spy"
Old 28-05-2008, 14:22   #7350
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Delaney View Post
Having missed both her TV appearances stammering her way through the legal advice / due dilligence speech I wondered what she actually looked like so I searched Google Images for "bt emma sanderson":

Ist image up "The Wipe-O-Matic 3000" from a recent cableforum post?

We beat BT's Official PR image?

What an accolade!

Haha! Now I kind of feel guilty to keep picking on chubby little Emma (someone's got to do it!). Btw in order for people to see that Google search result for Emma Sanderson they need to set the "Do not filter my search results." under the preferences.

More fun with Emma here "Phorm on The Gadget Show"
http://badphorm.co.uk/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?6107

Closed Thread