Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Need Help networking asap

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Need Help networking asap

Old 27-05-2005, 06:57   #1
grovestjedi
Inactive

grovestjedi is an unknown quantity at this point
Need Help networking asap

here is my problem.

i have 2 computers notebook and desktop. my desktop is running winxp pro and it does not have a wireless card in it. my notebook is running winxp home. and does have the wireless card. so i bought an apple airport extreme router, and plugged my modem into that, and then the router to my desktop. i cannot get an internet connection. my notebook seems to connect to the router fine but i cant connect to the internet. my isp told me the modem needs to be bridged. which i did for xbox live already, so i have to connect and disconnect. im lost and frustrated. please help
grovestjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-05-2005, 07:16   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Need Help networking asap

Have you run the network setup wizard on all the PCs yet? Also did you power the modem and PCs off when first connecting them up? You need to power off the equipment, connect, power up modem, wait for lights to settle on modem, power up router, power up PCs.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...?t=8269&page=1 may help
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 07:39   #3
grovestjedi
Inactive

i will try again... i checked one of the forums on here and when it said to go to
start> run> command.com

i get an error saying

C:\WINDOWS\System32\command.com
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows applications. choose close to terminate the application
Old 27-05-2005, 07:48   #4
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

try run cmd to get a more useful dos box up
Old 27-05-2005, 08:00   #5
grovestjedi
Inactive

ok i powered down and did everything, but when i go to connect to the internet is says connecting to wan miniport then says computer doesnt respond to request.

everything works fined wired directly to the modem. i cant get a connection through the router.
Old 27-05-2005, 08:02   #6
Paul K
Inactive

Have you tried accessing the router to make sure it is set up correctly? Sometimes cloning the MAC address of the NIC card that works with the broadband onto the router is the quick and easy way to get the connection to work through the router itself.
Old 27-05-2005, 08:03   #7
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

cant someone at least the guy , , i already have
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 08:06   #8
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
cant someone at least the guy
What - and steal your thunder
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 08:12   #9
grovestjedi
Inactive

i dont believe my desktop has a nic card.

sorry if all my questions are redundant and newbish. ive been fighting with this for 3 days now, and dont understand why it wont work.
Old 27-05-2005, 08:16   #10
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovestjedi
i dont believe my desktop has a nic card.

sorry if all my questions are redundant and newbish. ive been fighting with this for 3 days now, and dont understand why it wont work.
Your questions are not redundant - If you don't know you don't know. I often have to ask questions that are 'simple' but not to me.

I'd have had a go at trying to help you myself - but I don't know what's going on in your case.

I hope that someone much more clever than me can solve your problems

Good luck.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 08:21   #11
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix

Some modems will only talk to the MAC that they were setup with, have you cloned your PCs MAC address into your router?
KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 08:29   #12
grovestjedi
Inactive

how might i go about doing that..
Old 27-05-2005, 08:31   #13
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovestjedi
i will try again... i checked one of the forums on here and when it said to go to
start> run> command.com

i get an error saying

C:\WINDOWS\System32\command.com
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows applications. choose close to terminate the application
please find rared version of autoexec.nt unrar and copy this into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder and this should sort the above problem hopefully.Back up original first,if you do not have win rar pm me and ill email it a different way.
Try start>run>cmd instead of command .com

edit find this file in this thread http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=27796 post 14
Old 27-05-2005, 08:33   #14
grovestjedi
Inactive

yeah i used cmd and got the ip stuff
Old 27-05-2005, 08:35   #15
zing_deleted

Ok blank my above post unless you have seen that error before or see it again