Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help with NTL and Mentor Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help with NTL and Mentor Router

Old 24-05-2005, 11:41   #1
surcha
Inactive

surcha is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with NTL and Mentor Router

Hi Guys

I am using a NTL CM connected to the router and all was working fine, until I called NTL and upgraded to 1Mb. Then I rebooted my CM and Router, but connection is not working. Bypassed the router and rebooted CM, all works fine, PC getting a public IP from CM.
Connect to the router and check WAN status, no public IP showing up though the router assigns private IPs to the machines. (got only 3 machines)

Reset router, reconfigured again, no joy, cloned MAC address no joy, tried resetting again and configured with the default MAC address, still no joy.

I have come to the conclusion that the router is faulty, But can you guys suggest anything else?

Thanks
Surcha

PS: Apologies if the post is on the wrong place, but not sure where to post it exactly.
surcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-05-2005, 11:43   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Help with NTL and Mentor Router

Have you tried a factory reset of the router?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005, 11:45   #3
surcha
Inactive

Yes I have, number of times
Old 24-05-2005, 11:48   #4
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Which MAC address did you clone into the router by the way? I would have thought that if a PC can connect to the BB properly that you could clone the MAC address of the NIC in that PC onto the router and all would be well

Quote:
Originally Posted by surcha
Yes I have, number of times
Are you sure you are doing a complete factory reset on the router and not just a normal reset? Sometimes there is a big difference in the two. Also are you powering the cable modem down for a couple of minutes in between tries? Always power the CM down when attempting to change the device connected to it.
Old 24-05-2005, 11:50   #5
Flubflow
Inactive

Flubflow has a bronzed appealFlubflow has a bronzed appeal
Flubflow has a bronzed appeal

Is there an IP release/renew in the router setup page? If so, release the IP and renew it (although I would have thought the reset you already did would have sorted that aspect out).
Flubflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005, 11:52   #6
surcha
Inactive

I am pretty sure I have cloned the MAC address of the PC in to the router. Does NTL needs the MAC address to be registered with them, if it changes. Because Telewest doesnt needs it anymore.
I have done a factory reset, by pushing a pin in the reset hole, hold dit for 10 secs and then release it.
Havent had any joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubflow
Is there an IP release/renew in the router setup page? If so, release the IP and renew it (although I would have thought the reset you already did would have sorted that aspect out).
Yes, there is the option and I have tried it. No joy.
Old 24-05-2005, 11:56   #7
Paul K
Inactive

You could try contacting CS and ask for the MAC to be regitered against the account but you shouldn't need to have to do that
Did you try pointing a browser to the provisioning page after connecting the router up to the SACM?
Old 24-05-2005, 12:42   #8
surcha
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
You could try contacting CS and ask for the MAC to be regitered against the account but you shouldn't need to have to do that
Did you try pointing a browser to the provisioning page after connecting the router up to the SACM?
Sorry, What is the provisioning page?
Old 24-05-2005, 12:46   #9
Paul K
Inactive

Try pointing the browser to
https://autoreg.autoregister.net/
Old 24-05-2005, 12:48   #10
surcha
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Try pointing the browser to
https://autoreg.autoregister.net/
Can i know what does this page does? Am in work, so I should be able to do it, when I get home.
Old 24-05-2005, 12:49   #11
Paul K
Inactive

It provisions your equipment against your BB acount details
Old 24-05-2005, 12:55   #12
surcha
Inactive

Nice one, Thanks for all ya helps, would try tiday evening.