Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Adding a wireless router to ntl broadband

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Adding a wireless router to ntl broadband

Old 23-05-2005, 12:32   #1
lamb0
Inactive

lamb0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Adding a wireless router to ntl broadband

Help - please

I wanted to go wireless on my ntl broadband, so I bought a Netgear ADSL modem, firewall and wireless router. When I tried to plug it in, I found that the ntl cable would not fit into the back of my lovely new box (the ntl cable is not ADSL).

Do I have to return the new box and get a router-only set up, or can I get around this somehow (and avoid having both a modem and a router)??

Thanks (and I'm sure there are already numerous threads on this, but I couldn't find them).
lamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-05-2005, 12:59   #2
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat
Re: Adding a wireless router to ntl broadband

unfortunately you have the wrong router.

you need a cable router, not an ADSL router ...

The ADSL router has a build in ADSL modem, and plugs into the phone line.

you then plug the router into the NTL CM and all should be great

(the cable routers are also cheaper than the ADSL ones..)

HTH

Zovat
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 12:17   #3
spanner
Inactive

spanner is an unknown quantity at this point

So anything labelled as a wireless cable router is sufficient in the UK then? It is just a standard ethernet port on these boxes?
spanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 12:19   #4
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner
So anything labelled as a wireless cable router is sufficient in the UK then? It is just a standard ethernet port on these boxes?
Yep Ethernet is a standard connector for routers etc. If you want any advice as to which to get just ask and you'll get plenty of advice from people here who already have similar set ups.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 12:20   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Have a look at the Linksys Routers (I'm thinking of the WRT54G).
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 12:23   #6
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

Services: BT, nowhere near 8meg, phone and Sky.
bucketbakereturn is on a distinguished roadbucketbakereturn is on a distinguished road

.... can highly recommend that....
bucketbakereturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 12:52   #7
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Seconded
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 12:53   #8
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Thirded.... motion carried
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 13:00   #9
fireman328
Inactive

fireman328 has reached the bronze age
fireman328 has reached the bronze agefireman328 has reached the bronze age

Me 2
fireman328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 19:20   #10