Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | So, I need a new Wireless Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

So, I need a new Wireless Router
View Poll Results: Which Wireless Router?
WRT54G 13 72.22%
D-Link Di-624 1 5.56%
Belkin FSD7230UK4 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-05-2005, 19:49   #1
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age
So, I need a new Wireless Router

Well, as my BEFW11S4 seems to be dying on me (its gone through so many different problems, at the moment its loss/choke in source games, loss is always above 0, spiking to double figures every now and so, choke, the same).

I used to respect Linksys, but all the issues i see with their routers on dslreports has made me think again. So, I'm not sure whether i'd go for a WRT54G, I don't want it dieing on me a year or two down the line.

Seen the D-Link routers, seems pretty good but i've had a wireless nic by them before and the drivers were the ****test thing in existence (random bsods in xp, they claimed 'all manufacturers had this problem', shame they didn't realise that the realtek drivers for the chipset worked fine, before fobbing me off).

So, so far, its between Netgear and Belkin. I haven't heard much about either of these, apart from few people raging about thier netgear router, but a handful out of many isn't representative imo. Their WirelessG router is too overpriced though.

Belkin, well i have one of their wireless nics, seems perfectly fine now it is working properly, but i usually associate their stuff with crud, due to they advertise their stuff in the Argos catalogue.

Help me out? Thanks
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2005, 21:17   #2
MrBen
Inactive

MrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to behold
Re: So, I need a new Wireless Router

Belkin routers seem to be very hit-and-miss. Some work, some don't.

I had terrible problems getting some kit replaced by D-Link under warranty so I don't like them anymore

I'd go with the Linksys. There's good support for it including third-party firmware to add features, see http://www.linksysinfo.org/

Ben
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2005, 22:24   #3
khanz
Inactive

khanz is an unknown quantity at this point

Jtwn I will agree with Ben and go with Linksys. Now I have been looking at it myself today as I am looking to buy one. It seems pretty solid with features which you would require for a Home/small office environment. It supports both security features WPA/WEP, NAT,SPI (stateful packet inspection) and should be ok to cater for good few years.
I am particularly interested in Linksys WRT54G but I have a question if someone can help me here. I have got a adsl modem with USB connector but the router comes with RG45 port. How do I connect these two? Does anyone know any adapter I can use to connect my USB connector so it can talk to RJ45 port on the router
Is there any other good adsl router with built in USB port with the same feature WRT54G offers ? Any help would be appreciated guys... Cheers
Khanz
khanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2005, 22:29   #4
mick70
Inactive

Services: 2 mb
mick70 will become famous soon enoughmick70 will become famous soon enoughmick70 will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: So, I need a new Wireless Router

Go Netgear, you will not regret it. I used to use Linksys but dumped it after my mate showed me how easy and reliable his Netgear kit was!!
mick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2005, 22:32   #5
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Ive had my Belkin for 2 years and it appears to be on its last legs, so ill be looking for a new one soon too.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2005, 22:37   #6
khanz
Inactive

khanz is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick70
Go Netgear, you will not regret it. I used to use Linksys but dumped it after my mate showed me how easy and reliable his Netgear kit was!!
Does netgear comes with built in usb port? if not, then whats the solution to connect my adsl usb modem with Router's RJ45 port?, Cheers Mick
khanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2005, 01:04   #7
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

If you on ADSL, the best way to connect is to buy a Router with a built in ADSL modem.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote