Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless setup randomly dropping

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless setup randomly dropping

Old 06-05-2005, 09:15   #1
dalboy
Inactive

dalboy has a spectacular aura about themdalboy has a spectacular aura about themdalboy has a spectacular aura about themdalboy has a spectacular aura about them
Wireless setup randomly dropping

Hi guys I havent posted much on here but read through a lot of the posts for help and the latest views / news.

I have a question which I have searched for on here but couldnt find anything exactly the same. (maybe im not lookin hard enough)

Anyway, I have 2 pcs in the house. the one downstairs has the cable modem attached via usb and internet connection is pretty much perfect. never drops etc... I also have a wireless card in this pc and a wireless card in my upstairs pc. I have set up the connectivity fine and can surf the net from upstairs ok. but now and again the bottom right hand flashing computers stop, then about 10 seconds later my wireless icon signal strength vanishes, then i get the message saying the connection has been disconnected / not connected. it seems to happen randomly. For me to get the upstairs connection back i have to disable then re-enable the wireless connection from downstairs, then disable and re-enable the one upstairs.

Anyone got any ideas why or solutions. firewalls are disable, antivirus and spyware etc.. disabled or not conflicting, and they are only about 15 metres apart.

Thanks guys
dalboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2005, 09:54   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Wireless setup randomly dropping

The most common cause of wireless signal problems is interference - other stuff using the 2.4Ghz band, the microwave being the obvious.

Most wireless cards will allow you to change the channel, so try setting it to something like channel 1 or 10.

Alternatively, invest in a wireless router. They tend to be more robust than ad-hoc connections and you won't have to leave to downstairs PC on while you use the upstairs one.

HTH
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:01   #3
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

As you have found out, wireless connections are not always reliable.

What type of wireless connection do you have?

I suggest you try to find the signal strength and quality of the wireless connection when the computers are connected. In my experience, both need to be over 50% for a reliable connection.

Because most wireless network connections work at a high frequency, they are very susceptible to the position of the aerials and objects around them - even people. Brick walls will cause a lot of attenuation. Try moving the aerials about or, if they are removable, you could try using a magmount to move it away from your PC. You could also try another aerial with more gain.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:10   #4
dalboy
Inactive

dalboy has a spectacular aura about themdalboy has a spectacular aura about themdalboy has a spectacular aura about themdalboy has a spectacular aura about them

thanks for the replies. signal strength, the majority of the time says good or excellent. the signal bar in the corner is pretty much always right up i.e. good connection.

How do you setup a wireless router briefly? seems like i might try that if channel changing does not have any effect
Old 06-05-2005, 10:53   #5
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalboy
How do you setup a wireless router briefly?
Plug it in ! Most wireless routers will work 'out of the box'. However, they are insecure at defaults, so you should read the 'Wireless Security' thread in this forum and set some security.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:07   #6
gary_580

What sort of wireless cards are they?

I had the same problems with a Linksys card. Nothing i did on the router ever seemed to make a difference. Eventually i hard wired it.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:15   #7
dalboy
Inactive

they are netgear cards. ive just been told i cant use a wireless router cos im using NTL cable modem?
Old 06-05-2005, 12:18   #8
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
they are netgear cards. ive just been told i cant use a wireless router cos im using NTL cable modem?
Wrong. You can.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 13:18   #9
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

As long as it's a wireless router that is cable compatable and NOT an ADSL modem/router
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 14:38   #10
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
No wonder your problem sounded familiar. I had the same problem with Netgear wireless cards until a colleague told me to ditch them and get something better. I got a 3Com adapter and now the problem is gone.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 14:40   #11
dalboy
Inactive

sorry what do you mean an adapter? 2 new cards that are 3com and not netgear?
Old 06-05-2005, 15:38   #12
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Yes, sorry. I replaced my Netgear USB wireless cards with 3Com USB wireless cards.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 17:22   #13
bertJ
cf.member

bertJ is an unknown quantity at this point

As a related follow up to this topic. I can use my laptop with wireless connection (PCI Card) to the PC upstairs anywhere in the house except the kitchen. The signal strength using a Linksys WRT54G router into a ntl cable modem is excellent everywhere else. The kitchen is not the furthest place away from the router so I can only assume that fridges, freezers, pots and pans and lots of metal objects must affect the signal.
I've tried changing the frequencies but there was no difference.
bertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 20:46   #14
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

bert,

You're probably spot on about the interference.

Microwaves, the motors in fridges and freezers, large amounts of metal (pots, pans etc), will all contrive to scatter/distort the signal.

But you know what they say, if you can't stand the interference stay out of the kitchen......

(Which reminds me: If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen, if you still can't stand the heat your house is on fire )
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 00:29   #15
reeves006
Inactive

reeves006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Wireless setup randomly dropping

I am also using the linksys bb router - i must say it runs like a dream - far better than i ever thought it would. In the kitchen it works fine no problem!
reeves006 is offline   Reply With Quote