Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | which? network card

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

which? network card

Old 25-04-2005, 16:18   #16
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: which? network card

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikthius
I added another OS

I am looking to buy a router in the next few days, but I would like one that will be able to go through Mandrake as well.

also, what does the 10/100/1000 part mean?

ik
Mbit, the max data transfer speed of the card.

Personally, I would buy a wireless router if I were you. It will require a wireless card for all your machines (and Linux may not support them), but you could still use that cabled.
Old 25-04-2005, 16:20   #17
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat

Quote:
I added another OS

I am looking to buy a router in the next few days, but I would like one that will be able to go through Mandrake as well.

also, what does the 10/100/1000 part mean?

ik
all routers should be OS independant.

to 10/100/1000 refers to the speed of the connection (in Megabits).

Bearing in mind that cable is less than 10 Megabits, you will only see any difference when sending data within your own network.
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2005, 16:21   #18
ikthius
Inactive

Services: anything for a new job
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf
Mbit, the max data transfer speed of the card.

Personally, I would buy a wireless router if I were you. It will require a wireless card for all your machines (and Linux may not support them), but you could still use that cabled.
both comps in the house have a network card, but personally I am not going to go wireless yet, I can't afford extra cards.

ik
ikthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2005, 16:23   #19
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
both comps in the house have a network card, but personally I am not going to go wireless yet, I can't afford extra cards.

ik
Fair enough, but if you are going to fork out for a router, it may be wise to pay a bit more for wireless even if you will not be using it straight away.

However, if money is tight...
Old 25-04-2005, 16:27   #20
ikthius
Inactive

ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze

with a wireless, one, this may sound stupid, but can you still use cables as well?

ik
Old 25-04-2005, 16:28   #21
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
with a wireless, one, this may sound stupid, but can you still use cables as well?

ik
Yes, (at least with mine you can), sorry, that was the point I was trying to make, but I did not make myself very clear.

edit:
this one has four wired ports, and is a very popular router. You can get that one, start out using it wired, and buy wireless cards if/when you have the money.
Old 25-04-2005, 16:30   #22
ikthius
Inactive

ah, right, so then I could go for it, I just thought cause it is wireless you cannot connect cables.

sorry

ik
Old 25-04-2005, 16:31   #23
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
ah, right, so then I could go for it, I just thought cause it is wireless you cannot connect cables.

sorry

ik
Yup (see my edit)
Old 25-04-2005, 17:42   #24
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

When I bought my router in PC world I took to the counter a Linksys and the bloke said you don't want to get that, get Belkin its cheaper which I did. Never had any problems and straight forward to use. I say get a Belkin router, but then that is my opinion.
Old 25-04-2005, 20:39   #25
jonifen
Inactive

jonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nice

I will highly recommend the Linksys BEFW11S4 Router... currently ~£42 on http://www.ebuyer.co.uk

A guy who worked where I am got a Belkin (from PC World believe it or not - PC World must get bribed to sell more Belkin stuff!) and he says its great. But I have heard of people say they're not so great. I think its the luck of the draw to be honest...

Many say Linksys' router firmware is weak... but many have said its improving since Cisco Systems have been stamping their impressions onto the kit.

I've heard of some people having trouble with Netgear stuff too... and I find their LAN cards (although pretty cheap and decent quality), they can die pretty miserably.

All in all though, I'd go for the Linksys... but as I have one, I'm biased :p

Alternatively, get a 3com TX-905C NIC (I got one off ebay for £5 + £1 P&P) - have an onboard dedicated processor to minimalise (sp?) any usage of the main CPU to process it's data.
jonifen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2005, 20:48   #26
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

I have problems with my BEFW11S4, but when it worked fine it worked flawlessly.

I have a Belkin wireless card, based on the Broadcom 54g chipset, tbh, its a heap of **** compared to my old d-link card. Not recommended. Its the one that is in all the dixons group shops..avoid.
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2005, 21:14   #27
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovat
all routers should be OS independant.

to 10/100/1000 refers to the speed of the connection (in Megabits).

Bearing in mind that cable is less than 10 Megabits, you will only see any difference when sending data within your own network.
True although I thoroughly recommend at least a 100MBit cabling standard especially for transferring data between PCs in your house as 10MBit gets terribly sluggish even for LAN gaming.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2005, 22:53   #28
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Got a Sweex router myself, £25 - looked at the Ebuyer one (Origo/safecom), but got scared of by the speed drop reports on the ADSLTECH forum (all Safecom products there)

Probably firmware-fixed by now, I should think!
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 16:10   #29
ikthius
Inactive

ok, guys, I went and got the linksys wireless one, but another wee question:

what kind of cable do I need? I just need one I think, cause I have a cat5 cable that is connecting the both comps, so do I just go for this? 1m UTP CAT-5 Cable (RJ45) from scan at 45p http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...roductID=15101

ik

EDIT:
bearing in mind I might not buy it online, as carraige will cost about 100 times the cost of the cable
Old 26-04-2005, 16:13   #30
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
ok, guys, I went and got the linksys wireless one, but another wee question:

what kind of cable do I need? I just need one I think, cause I have a cat5 cable that is connecting the both comps, so do I just go for this? 1m UTP CAT-5 Cable (RJ45) from scan at 45p http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...roductID=15101

ik
Yes, but presumably you are now using a cross-over (x-over) cable to connect the two machines? You will need to change this to straight through. Either by buying a new cable, or buying an adaptor.