Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | which? network card

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

which? network card

Old 07-03-2005, 11:33   #1
ikthius
Inactive

Services: anything for a new job
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
which? network card

Sorry couldn't resist the heading,

but anyway, I am looking to get a network card for my computer, it came with one, and I currently use this for home networking, but I want another card (singular) so that I can change my modem connection from USB to Ehternet.

what do you guys recommend?

system:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
1.21 Gb Ram
Windows XP Home SP2
Ambit cable modem (NTL Home 120)

if you need any other specs, just ask.

ik
ikthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2005, 11:50   #2
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Re: which? network card

Ditch the extra NIC idea, get a router.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:55   #3
ikthius
Inactive

ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze

so could you explain what the beneifts of a router is and how much they cost?

ik
Old 07-03-2005, 11:59   #4
gary_580

you can connect all of your home network machines to the router and all will then have access to the NET

Share printers too (might need a print server but some routers have this built in)

Hardware firewall

£40+
Old 07-03-2005, 12:03   #5
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikthius
so could you explain what the beneifts of a router is and how much they cost?

ik
With a router you do not have to leave the PCs connected powered up all the time where using your method you have to have the PC connected to the cable modem on for other PCs to use the connection. A router can be a firewall as well. You can get routers from around £18 http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=52897
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:11   #6
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

avoid Belkin wireless routers - I have taken 2 back to PC in the last month due to problems and bumped into someone at pcworld who mentioned the belkin pre n router which I was returning had already had a lot of problems reported on another forum.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 13:03   #7
Inactive

50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era

depends who you ask i suppose...as with most things PC people have their favorites.. browsers, operating sytems, email clients, AV/Firewalls.. service providers..

I've had a belkin wireless router for nearly a year now, was a doddle to to set up and has been faultless.
50420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 14:12   #8
ikthius
Inactive

so why are routers better than just getting a network card? is it safer? quicker?

will I get cables with it?

I don't know anything about routers.

ik
Old 07-03-2005, 14:28   #9
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

you get cables and it means you dont need to have your pc on all the time in order to share the connection.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 14:38   #10
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
you get cables and it means you dont need to have your pc on all the time in order to share the connection.
You don't get cables with the Ebuyer router I mentioned in post #5 but they only cost from 37p upwards
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 14:44   #11
ikthius
Inactive

ah, I am starting to see an up side to this router thing!

so what routers, apart from post #5, does everyone recommend?

ik
Old 07-03-2005, 15:10   #12
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Personally I use a Linksys router - no problems with it in 2 years. Something like http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?LIN-BEFSR4 - although this doesn't have a print server.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 15:26   #13
keithwalton
Inactive

keithwalton has reached the bronze age
keithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze age

depending on your budget en all. but if your only connecting a modem to it. the cheapo lan cards will suffice (cost a few £ tops) no need to splash out on a 10/100/1000. I'm not a big fan of routers myself but then thats just me!

Edit- bargain! http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=42061
since you'll be using 10mbit tops cpu usage will be negligable
keithwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2005, 16:11   #14
ikthius
Inactive

Quote:
Sorry couldn't resist the heading,

but anyway, I am looking to get a network card for my computer, it came with one, and I currently use this for home networking, but I want another card (singular) so that I can change my modem connection from USB to Ehternet.

what do you guys recommend?

system:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
1.21 Gb Ram
Windows XP Home SP2 & mandrake 10.1
Ambit cable modem (NTL Home 120)

if you need any other specs, just ask.

ik
I added another OS

I am looking to buy a router in the next few days, but I would like one that will be able to go through Mandrake as well.

also, what does the 10/100/1000 part mean?

ik
Old 25-04-2005, 16:18   #15
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat

Quote:
ah, I am starting to see an up side to this router thing!

so what routers, apart from post #5, does everyone recommend?

ik
Personally I use Linksys - I have the WRT54G (wireless) which works really well.

Netgear are a little more expensive - but pretty reliable (I get less calls from friends/family who have them )

Belkin are cheap, but can be flaky - if you get a good one, they seem to be easy to setup and run.

D-Link are normally ok as well, but not many people I know are using them.

HTH
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote