Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Need help with Internet connection sharing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Need help with Internet connection sharing

Old 25-05-2005, 14:07   #1
chayolle
Inactive

chayolle is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help with Internet connection sharing

Hi everyone, I hope you guys can help me...

Well I have 2 computers running on Windows XP Pro SP2. One connects to the internet via an USB adsl modem. I have 2 network cards on the 2 computers and I connected them with a cross-over cable. Well the problem is that I've enabled ICS on the server but I don't have any connection in the client. But when I run the server in safe-mode with networking I have the connection in the client !!! The modem is recognized as a network connection and must'nt have a static IP adress whereas the network card itself has this address : 192.168.0.1
The client's network card has no static IP adress too...

Well I hope a pro like you guys is going to answer me

Chayolle
chayolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-05-2005, 14:16   #2
bdav
Inactive

bdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to bdav
Re: Need help with Internet connection sharing

Have you tried running the network setup wizard?
bdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2005, 15:51   #3
chayolle
Inactive

Yes of course I did it. The problem is not with the network itself because I can share files on both PCs...
Old 25-05-2005, 16:00   #4
bdav
Inactive

bdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to bdav

Right. In network connections, is it a bridge, or is it connection sharing? Does the USB ADSL modem have a dial up connection made? I assume you havent shared the network connection, as opposed to the Dial-up? Sometimes it glitches - deactivate the sharing, get rid of all the windows, and try it again.
bdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2005, 16:02   #5
daxx
Inactive

Services: All XL
daxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to beholddaxx is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to daxx Send a message via AIM to daxx Send a message via MSN to daxx Send a message via Yahoo to daxx

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=37

should give you all the info you need
daxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2005, 16:03   #6
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/fo...c&daysprune=-1

The forum search feature is your friend-there's a wealth of info there.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 09:05   #7
chayolle
Inactive

No it is not a bridge and it s not a dial up connection too.
I aloready tried doing what u told me but still the same thing...and my pc don't seem to ben infected...
Old 26-05-2005, 10:59   #8
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Running any form of firewall on any of the pcs?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 11:32   #9
chayolle
Inactive

the 2 pcs has xp firewall disabled and are running Sygate pro, with networking and file sharing enabled
Old 26-05-2005, 11:57   #10
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

What happens if you stop the firewall from loading at start up on both PCs? Something that is loading on a normal boot up is causing the connection to be locked out if it is working in safe mode.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote