Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

Old 05-06-2019, 20:41   #406
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

The BBC summer Red Button channels now have Freesat data. 'BBC RB 2' - 'BBC RB 6' are in the test region on LCNs 982-986. 'BBC RB HD' is on 980.

Now/next EPG data commences 15/7/19.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-06-2019, 20:23   #407
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
FreeSports HD has been announced for Sky launch on 15th July in a tweet today. A reply to the tweet by someone asking about FreeSat suggests that although it won't be on the FreeSat HD EPG on that date it will be manually tuneable. Reading between the lines, the wording suggests it will be on FreeSat EPG at some point.
I've now been told by a trusted source that Freesports HD will be available on Freesat
Old 27-06-2019, 14:39   #408
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Home is to be replaced by a UK version of Home and Garden TV (HGTV). No further details available as yet.

This is the first change since the UKTV split.
Old 28-06-2019, 21:40   #409
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Sony Crime channel is dropping it's drama content from it's schedule from 1/7/19:

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/06/sony...s-channel.html

Viewing figures for Sony Crime channel have been very low since launch, maybe Sony are gearing up for another channel closure??

Channel 5 have reached agreement with Pluto TV to stream three of their channels on it's my5 online service:

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/06/my5-...-channels.html
Old 10-07-2019, 14:33   #410
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Freesports HD has now been confirmed as coming to Freesat. It will be sometime after it's launch on Sky (which is 15/7/19).

Travel XP (having recently left Freeview) is to restart on Sky from 1/8/19, no word about Freesat yet.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 10-07-2019 at 14:48.
Old 10-07-2019, 14:57   #411
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Freesports HD has now been confirmed as coming to Freesat. It will be sometime after it's launch on Sky (which is 15/7/19).

Travel XP (having recently left Freeview) is to restart on Sky from 1/8/19, no word about Freesat yet.
I've read that the UK was the only market Travelxp was in SD. Maybe this restart will be HD.

I wonder if FreeSports will switch off SD on satellite.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 18:17   #412
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I've read that the UK was the only market Travelxp was in SD. Maybe this restart will be HD.

I wonder if FreeSports will switch off SD on satellite.
I didn't know that, maybe it will return in HD then

Yes, Freesports will be switching off their SD feed. Not sure what they'll do once the HD valiant is on Sky whilst they wait for Sky do sort out the adaptation hub for Freesat. Maybe SD and HD will run in tandem for a short time, or the HD feed will be downscaled for Freesat??
Old 10-07-2019, 18:25   #413
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Yes, Freesports will be switching off their SD feed. Not sure what they'll do once the HD valiant is on Sky whilst they wait for Sky do sort out the adaptation hub for Freesat. Maybe SD and HD will run in tandem for a short time, or the HD feed will be downscaled for Freesat??
I have seen online that TravelXP will launch on August 1st on Sky Channel 185 (Propeller TV old EPG slot).
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 19:07   #414
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Well they need a SD feed for Freeview still, so maybe they will downscale for both? Or keep it off-EPG like in-store TV streams.

What does an adaptation hub actually do? I'm surprised to say I haven't heard of one before. If it is what it sounds like I don't see what Sky has to do with it, broadcasters buy transmission space from satellite companies, Sky don't own any satellites.
Old 11-07-2019, 00:30   #415
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Well they need a SD feed for Freeview still, so maybe they will downscale for both? Or keep it off-EPG like in-store TV streams.

What does an adaptation hub actually do? I'm surprised to say I haven't heard of one before. If it is what it sounds like I don't see what Sky has to do with it, broadcasters buy transmission space from satellite companies, Sky don't own any satellites.
If a channel is on Sky, it will have data associated with the Sky EPG included with the transmission signal. If a company also wants their channel (using the same capacity) to be on Freesat, it will need Freesat data.

The problem though, is that this would interfere with the Sky data, therefore, Sky have to make adaptations to ensure that the Freesat data is applied correctly, without it affecting their own platform.

They have to do this if requested, but do make a charge for it (it's all done remotely from Osterley).
Old 11-07-2019, 01:25   #416
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Further to the above (and slightly besides the topic), Sky has been known to speculatively buy up much more sat transponder space than it actually needs. Whether it sub-leases I don’t know, but it has been blamed for the shortage of available UK spot-beam capacity in the past.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:42   #417
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Further to the above (and slightly besides the topic), Sky has been known to speculatively buy up much more sat transponder space than it actually needs. Whether it sub-leases I don’t know, but it has been blamed for the shortage of available UK spot-beam capacity in the past.
Sky actually helped to pay for one of the Astra satellites when Sky Digital started, in return they received discounts on capacity of up to 50%.

This would tie in with what you say Chris and could be the reason why they managed to persuade some channels to encrypt. They could have offered cheap capacity on their own transponders to keep channels off Freesat and require a Sky card, whilst still making a profit.

I've no idea how long the discounts were for, but i'd imagine for the expenses of paying for a satellite that it would be for a considerable length of time. Sky Digital launched in 1998, so if it was for, say, twenty years, this could be the reason why Sky are now no longer incentivising (bribing) channels to encrypt or help with exclusive HD launches.

Sky have recently been actually closing HD channels and kicking others out of the Sub Club, whilst at the same time moving third party channels off their own transponders and making technical changes to make more efficient use of their own capacity.

It all seems to tie in together.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:00   #418
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Thanks for those replies both of you.

I'm amazed that the EPG data format wasn't an industry standard they both used. I'd assumed it was just the EPG numbering/layout that was separated and neither interfered with either other.
Old 15-07-2019, 15:21   #419
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

The HD version of Freesports is now on 252. However, on Humax Foxsat boxes, the change will not be apparent until the 3am houskeeping task runs tonight.
Old 15-07-2019, 16:43   #420
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The HD version of Freesports is now on 252. However, on Humax Foxsat boxes, the change will not be apparent until the 3am houskeeping task runs tonight.
The SD, as you said, has been removed from Sky. I've not looked to see if FreeSat is swapping or replacing. And we'll soon see whether they keep it running off-guide or downscale the HD version for Freeview.